Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

this is a messageboard. people talk about stuffs in messageboards. all is well&all is good.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: NCAA BCS series 2010  (Read 25088 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2010, 09:56:21 pm »

Hey, we might catch TCU!

However, this is pretty classic:

#1 Oregon barely beats unranked Cal (conference game, hmm) and gains in the BCS.
#2 Auburn struggles a bit against unranked Georgia (conference game, hmm) and gains in the BCS.
#3 TCU barely beats unranked SDSU (shitty conference game, hmm) and drops in the BCS, but is still in front of BSU.
#4 BSU dismantles Idaho (shitty conference game, hmm) and gains on TCU, but actually drops in the BCS.

Wha? And actually, TCU is getting fucked over this deal. Only one game since they blew out #5 Utah and the voters have forgotten all about that. I apologize for bringing politics into this, but it reminds me of tax breaks for rich people.

Eh. Hopefully we won't go to the Fiesta bowl again. I'm seeing predictions of Sugar vs. Auburn. I'm cool with that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2010, 11:24:51 pm »

Jebus, that Oregon game was painful. I thought they were going to get dropped to #2. At least Auburn came back convincingly. I think the issue with TCU is that Utah didn't belong in the #5 spot, as we're learning. I mean, one touchdown against TCU just made TCU look all the stronger, but, I mean, one field goal against Notre Dame? I can't believe they're still ranked. And then with TCU's poor showing against SDSU, they don't look nearly as tough. Doesn't explain Oregon, I know, except that Cal is a PAC-10 team. I think BSU is really getting boned here, as much as it hurts to admit. But I think Auburn will lose and BSU has a real shot at the championship game. Oregon has two very tough games ahead of them too, and could just as easily lose. Oregon State is looking terrible but that game is in Corvalis and it's an intense rivalry. But anyway, we have a great few weeks of football ahead of us.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2010, 11:26:36 pm »

Someone pointed out to me that Texas was still in the top 25 with a 4-5 record.  So, it's not just the top of that poll that is fucked up.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2010, 12:13:40 am »

I think Texas has been been out for a while, but Texas A&M is ranked.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2010, 12:21:54 am »

I think the issue with TCU is that Utah didn't belong in the #5 spot, as we're learning.

I can't argue that, but I gotta give 'em more credit than a team with a close win over an unranked opponent. As you say, though, there is some fun football left, and that's what it is all about.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2010, 01:35:45 am »

I think Texas has been been out for a while, but Texas A&M is ranked.

He said they were 22, but he also was drunk so I don't really know.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2010, 05:17:20 am »

Wha? And actually, TCU is getting fucked over this deal. Only one game since they blew out #5 Utah and the voters have forgotten all about that. I apologize for bringing politics into this, but it reminds me of tax breaks for rich people.
Quite the opposite. Utah losing to Notre Dame confirmed what a lot of people suspected--that they're not all that good. That probably also hurt TCU in the computer rankings.

Edit: I see that Miles already covered this.

On the other hand, SDSU actually has some votes and thus is ranked 34th in the BCS, so perhaps calling them a shitty opponent isn't fair.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:24:06 am by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2010, 08:58:24 am »

Quite the opposite. Utah losing to Notre Dame confirmed what a lot of people suspected--that they're not all that good. That probably also hurt TCU in the computer rankings.

Edit: I see that Miles already covered this.

On the other hand, SDSU actually has some votes and thus is ranked 34th in the BCS, so perhaps calling them a shitty opponent isn't fair.

Well, they're not good enough to be ranked fifth anymore, that's true. However, that argument goes around in circles for days. And actually, you're right - SDSU should maybe be ranked higher. But it becomes such a metadiscussion, which leads us back to the playoff thing. Because quite frankly, they ranked Utah #5, and that's the team TCU blew out. And Utah only lost two games. Actually, the way the folks in charge love Notre Dame, I'm sort of surprised that Utah suffered so much for a loss to them.

I don't think any of it correlates very well to still having OU and Auburn one and two, and having them go up in the numbers. That's sort of bullshit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2010, 01:02:26 pm »

I don't think any of it correlates very well to still having OU and Auburn one and two, and having them go up in the numbers. That's sort of bullshit.

I totally agree.

It's also really too bad Utah and BYU are leaving the MWC, because if they stayed and the conference also gained BSU, Nevada and Fresno State... Can conferences drop teams very easily? Maybe lose Wyoming and New Mexico to make it an even 10, and you'd have one hell of a conference, possibly too strong to not be an AQ.

But again:

But it becomes such a metadiscussion, which leads us back to the playoff thing.

All roads lead to the playoff thing.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2010, 03:21:44 am »

Not having playoffs makes no sense*.  It'd suck to have someone make it out of, say, the SEC and lose in the first round to some triple-option weirdo offense, but hell.  Deciding a national championship based on opinion, even though we kind of mitigate that opinion now, is hella dumb.  Having the Big East get an automatic bid when their conference leader isn't bowl-eligible yet is hella dumb.

In re: Cam Newton, I don't care if he's ineligible now.  USC "won" a championship that 13-0 Auburn didn't get to play for and they had an ineligible player.  If we win and it gets taken away in 2013, fuckit.  I'd rather have that than another Sugar Bowl win.

And, having said 'win' multiple times in this past sentence, I have now guaranteed a loss to Alabama and/or South Carolina, and it will be moot.

*unless you are one of the conferences guaranteed to get eleventeen billion dollars a year.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2010, 06:05:43 am »

The fact that Syracuse has beaten four Big East teams this year proves that the Big East does not deserve an auto-bid.

(I am very honest when my teams are awful. It is one of my lesser-known Things.)
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2010, 05:05:49 pm »

I was hoping for a super-conference out of TCU, BSU, Utah, Fresno State, BYU, Nevada, etc - they'd be at least as competitive as the Big East or ACC. Of course, it would eliminate a lot of the bitching and hating, which would remove eyes from ads, so the BCS won't let it happen.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2010, 05:47:38 pm »

With a real playoff, the last fictions that college football is played by "student-athletes" and not by underpaid professionals would evaporate.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2010, 12:10:10 am »

With a real playoff, the last fictions that college football is played by "student-athletes" and not by underpaid professionals would evaporate.

Another reason why it won't happen.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: NCAA BCS series 2010
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2010, 12:29:53 am »

Ah, I dunno. I think that's just a side benefit.

I think if the big schools all got the eventual long-term added profits from a playoff system right up front, the potential short-term dip in funds being the only reason they aren't in the playoff business already, they'd jump on it like jackals.

They'd find some other way to continue the farce of the "major college football/basketball player as amateur". They always do.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up