Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit? - Nabu

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Book Burning  (Read 11810 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 05:40:43 am »

Oh yeah, they put a few disclaimers in there, but they went to great pains to paint a sympathetic view of the Mormons as being a persecuted people chased across the country by fearful Mormon haters.  and ol' Joe Smith was falsely accused and imprisoned.  They even "tarred and weathered" him then killed him along with his brother.

So of course they had to massacre them as they were trying to leave the area.

What they are doing is providing historical context. The quote I provided above, lifted verbatim from the site, directly refutes your last sentence:

Quote
While the Mormons were heavily persecuted, driven from their homes, and killed en masse several times, their persecution did not justify the killings at Mountain Meadows.

The real problem is that it's shifting blame directly on the militia even though at the very least church rhetoric was partly responsible for the hysteria that led to the massacre.

Christ, sorry. I know there is probably no one else on the board with interest in this little piece of American history, but it's endlessly fascinating to me. Anyway, I provided the link because the first paragraph provides a brief overview and includes the date of the event.

My take on this issue: of course it's disrespectful, though sometimes hilarious, to burn a sacred book, but I get nervous when I hear forceful condemnations of such an act from political leaders. Freedom of expression is much more important than protecting the delicate sensibilities of people, and while I don't think anyone is yet proposing to ban such an act, it's not unimaginable. I wouldn't be surprised if some legislator somewhere proposes some law to ban something like this under the guise of hate crime legislation.

If we can't burn holy books then the terrists have truly won.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 06:57:25 am »

I have not burned a bible, but Mormons are the only group in this country I am scared of.  What is up with the underwear Miles?

Also, I have been to Devil's Gate/ Martin's Cove.  My ##### got stuck a few feet in the mud when I jumped off a cliff so I got to walk past all of the mormons pushing hand carts in my underwear.  Thank jon smith for the aclu: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin%27s_Cove - go to ownership.  I will say I went to Independence Rock, Chimney Rock and Devil's Gate/Martin's Cove.  Devil's Gate was by far the coolest of the 3/4 (Martin's Cove is right next to Devil's Gate.)

Oh, and actually I used bible papers to roll joints when I was 15 or 16, does that count?
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 12:43:14 pm »

How come we burn books to show we disrespect them, but we're supposed to burn a flag when we throw it away to show we respect it? And yet some people burn flags as a protest? I think we need to get our symbolism straightened out a little better here.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 12:47:45 pm »

Calvin Johnson wonders the same thing.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 12:57:02 pm »

How come we burn books to show we disrespect them, but we're supposed to burn a flag when we throw it away to show we respect it? And yet some people burn flags as a protest? I think we need to get our symbolism straightened out a little better here.
Korans are also supposed to be burned when they are disposed of.

A very good album ostensibly about the Mountain Meadows massacre was released last year. I have not read up on the lyrics or explored the history enough to confirm the connection.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/elliott-brood-mountain-meadows,34250/


Edit: My wife and her friend were obsessed with Mormon origins and Mormon fundamentalists. Under the Banner of Heaven and all that stuff. Then her friend converted to Mormonism. Woah!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:03:27 pm by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 01:00:21 pm »


Oh, and actually I used bible papers to roll joints when I was 15 or 16, does that count?

Only to God.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 01:09:02 pm »

Korans are also supposed to be burned when they are disposed of.

WHAT. 

Seriously, can't we just not be a dick to a stranger's holy book.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 02:17:03 pm »

With flag burning I feel like there's always some level of self criticism there, it's say 'I'm so disgusted with my country that this is what I'm doing' but at least you're owning the thing you're being angry at and want to change.
Burning someone else's holy book feels more like an attack on another culture, blaming something external for all your problems, I think that for some people there wouldn't be a big leap between burning the book and burning the people who wrote it.

As has been said, most defenses of flag burners are about whether or not it should be illegal, which is only even an issue because the fringe people on the other side of politics like to bang on about how it should be illegal. It would be interesting to know where this group stand on it.

I don't see a contradiction between thinking flag burning should be legal and Quran burning is offensive. Hell, they can both be legal AND offensive. Though the words I'd prefer to use are hateful, petulant and downright childish. Seriously, 3000 people die, a nation comes together and less than 10 years later the best publicised memorial is a group of small town bigots using it as an excuse to hate on brown people, poor show.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:22:37 pm by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 03:14:33 pm »

well, a couple months after 3000 people died a group of big-city bigots turned that into an excuse to hate on brown people, so that particular poor show started long ago.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 09:10:51 pm »

This Saturday
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 09:34:42 pm »

Quote
Breaking News Alert
The New York Times
Thu, September 09, 2010 -- 5:13 PM ET
-----

Florida Minister Cancels Burning of Korans on 9/11

The pastor planning a burning of the Koran on Saturday said
he will cancel the event, adding he plans to meet with the
imam planning to build an Islamic center near ground zero.

ain't no law needed
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 09:52:18 pm »

If the pastor and the imam have a press conference and just start making out, that'd be wonderful.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 10:09:40 pm »

beer summit mk 2
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 10:28:32 pm »

More seriously, could this pastor just be calling the meeting so that he can kill the other people while there?

I hate that this is a real possibility but I've learned to never overestimate religious extremists.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Book Burning
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2010, 10:46:47 pm »

ain't no law needed
Not to fear, there's no shortage of kooks willing to steal the torchlight.  No points for guessing who - its obvious, I think.
LFM's faith in fundie tendencies is no doubt secure.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up