Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood You are on the Night Train. Five Hours have passed. Axl Rose is in the gym car. It's not what you expected.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you a gambler?  (Read 10214 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2010, 05:41:10 am »

I'm very glad you all are craps players.

Pinball?  The Who's Tommy.

I played that at the expo kickoff party a couple of weeks ago.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2010, 01:57:54 pm »

which car museum? i saw the collection at the old imperial palace years back, heck of a lot of heck of awesome cars from deusenberg to shelby and zonda-- but construction made a ridiculous path through the hotel and garage to get there.

That was probably it. It looked like one big floor of a parking garage right in the middle of some old beater hotel there. They had a bunch of shit like Hitler's staff car and all that, but also a bunch of Doozies like you mentioned. Those are awesome.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2010, 05:45:04 pm »

My favorite growing up was King Kool.  I keep hoping that it will show up at the expo.  I wonder if they have that one at the Hall of Fame in Vegas.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2010, 07:19:19 pm »

If only I had the bread to travel like that, I would highly advocate a TOUAMB meet-up thing in Vegas centred around the Pinball Hall of Fame.

When I was there, it was right across the street from the Liberace museum, too. Though I think the Liberace Museum might move often.

Everybody get a room in some cheap-but-safe almost-out-of-town place and gawk at the local addicts instead of the idiot tourists, only going into Actual Vegas to hit Circus Circus and fight rats with a rake. Document the ghost towns that used to be the residential areas.

But mostly play fuck*ng pinball. Days of fuck*ng pinball.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2010, 08:14:48 pm »

I'm down with that plan.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Lister

  • Teodor
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 101
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 892
  • 2, 4, 6, 8, time to transubstantiate!
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2010, 10:02:20 pm »

It seems I must organize a trip to this... how you say, pinball museum, if work takes my company back to Las Vegas.

Also for some reason I prefer slot machines to table games, even though I know the math on them.  They are shiny!  Fortunately I am also cheap, so I haven't ever lost more than I budgeted for entertainment.
Logged
Lister.  Not that one, the other one.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2010, 10:13:06 pm »

They got everything from the weirdest old shit to the weirdest new shit.

Hybrid games with, like, a vertical secondary game up top. Half-video game half-pinball shit.

Shit with twenty flippers. Popeye's face goin' all nuts.

A+++, Must Go Again, Great Shipping.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2010, 11:05:36 pm »

also they got O.G. machines including one that's craps in disguise "no officer see we're playing pinball" and a couple mechanical shooter games. pinball baseball is odd and oddly entertaining.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2010, 05:36:46 pm »

Any of you get to Portland, I'll take you Ground Kontrol. It's where I went to my first MetaFilter meetup and met all the folks. They're nice. (I'm pretty sure I've linked to it before.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2010, 06:22:35 pm »

That place is so dope. Drinking beers and playing pinball.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2010, 06:24:41 pm »

Since there was a ref to it, the Liberace museum is closing, I guess.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2010, 04:59:20 am »

We got the Barcade over here in Brooklyn, they have a slew of retro games, about 30, and a really outstanding selection of microbrews.  It was the hipster mecca of the world for like almost a year.
Logged
ACHIEVE

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2010, 05:32:46 am »

Mana bar opened last year in my town and it's doing pretty well. No arcade machines but flat screens down each wall and a 360, Wii or PS3 attached to each all loaded with cool party games. It's a pretty good time.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2010, 08:36:10 pm »

Won £40 at the casino last night, fuck yes do I gamble
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

fanta

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: -32
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 128
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a gambler?
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2010, 02:56:16 pm »

this book, _How We Decide_ by Jonah Lehrer provides insight into why people gamble, among other things...  the below interview summarizes:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122854276
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up