Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that Wombat has figured out how to edit the News Box!

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 282441 times)

0 Members and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1035 on: March 29, 2012, 06:37:38 pm »

Yesterday I was telling my Mom that I had bought the first few Percy Jackson books for my Niece, starting with The Lightning Thief, and I gave her a brief rundown of the plot -- Percy finds out he's a demigod, son of Posiedon, and he has to go on a quest to find out who stole the lightning of Zeus before a war breaks out between Posiedon, Zeus, and Hades. The following conversation ensued:

The mind reels.

The birthplace of democracy? Fuck that noise.
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1036 on: March 29, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »

I honestly believe that, to her, ancient history is SO far in the past that as far as she's concerned it never really existed. She went on to tell me that she didn't learn mythology in school at all. Nowadays, of course, they teach it in fourth, sixth, and tenth grade or what have you, and usually again in college, but back in the 50s, apparently it wasn't considered an integral part of a child's education. We have a much stronger emphasis on cultural literacy today, I guess.

Then again, these days, nobody learns to diagram a sentence. Different values for different times, I guess.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1037 on: March 29, 2012, 07:33:04 pm »

I went to a Catholic high school where we could go to daily Mass before classes if we wanted to (I didn't) and we studied Greek mythology (also Hindu, Norse, and Native American).  That was the '80's at least though. 
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1038 on: March 29, 2012, 08:01:33 pm »

In the place and time my mom went to school (small-town midwest, mid 20th century), they were more interested in producing good farm and factory workers than promoting cultural literacy. Parochial schools have always been more concerned with the liberal arts than public ones, at least in the U.S.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1039 on: March 30, 2012, 02:06:58 am »

What I'm understanding is, the real problem isn't that my parents don't believe in science, but rather that they watch a crappy sitcom that nobody here likes, and that they should be watching [insert your favorite crappy sitcom here].

While I'm obviously happy to talk about what I watch (or listen to or read) I really don't care what people like. I was just digressing. Sorry. Your parents seem like fantastic people.

I honestly believe that, to her, ancient history is SO far in the past that as far as she's concerned it never really existed.

Maybe I don't agree with this but I kind of get it. And maybe I'm reading too much into it but I don't think it's a bad thing to question why liberal arts matter.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1040 on: April 16, 2012, 08:19:29 pm »

I think this can go here:

Admin: "I'm getting you all new lockers - they'll go right in your office!"
Me, thinking about how I don't need more shit in my office: "No thanks, I have a locker down that long-ass hallway."
A: "Well, I'll get you one anyway, you're on the list."
M: "Whatever."

~a month elapses~

A: "Check out your new locker! Isn't it awesome?"
M: "It's 1/3 the size of my old one. This won't hold my shit."
A: "Yeah. Well, I need your old one for the consultants."
M: "I hope your brain gets devoured by space parasites."

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1041 on: April 18, 2012, 06:40:38 am »

this guy on my facebook feed posts pictures CONSTANTLY of how "overcrowded" buses in St Louis are. Typically showing people standing in the aisles and holding the little hanging strap things. Isn't buses being this crowded... normal? Am I just a dick who doesn't know what it is like to ride public transit? Our system is really underfunded, and the reason this bus is crowded is that it's a popular line and at night the buses are not as frequent. If they wanted to increase the frequency of the buses, they would probably have to cut service in other areas.

At the same time, they are raising bus fares AGAIN without expanding service/frequency. Yikes. The economic realities of trying to run a bus system in a city this size/composition seem like a nightmare.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1042 on: April 18, 2012, 02:36:23 pm »

The bus should be that crowded. That means it is operating to capacity.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1043 on: April 18, 2012, 09:20:16 pm »

Email from Live Nation: Coldplay tickets! Also, if you like Coldplay you might also like Nickelback.

Really? Hm. Because they both suck?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1044 on: April 18, 2012, 10:07:20 pm »

Had the same conversation ("do you bike at night? make sure you have reflectors, lights, etc") with my dad twice. He did not remember the first time.

Interestingly: the first time he told me I should never bike at night, and I told him I was going to, but I was going to do it in a safe way. The second time it went like this:

Dad: Wait, do you bike at night?
inEv: um...
Dad: what's the deal? Are you not answering because you think I'm going to say not to bike at night? You're a grown man! You can make your own decisions.
inEv: No, I was pausing because 3 days ago you told me I should never bike at night.
Dad: oh, I don't remember that. Hm.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1045 on: April 19, 2012, 01:49:38 am »

Email from Live Nation: Coldplay tickets! Also, if you like Coldplay you might also like Nickelback.

Really? Hm. Because they both suck?

I guess if you like Coldplay you might also like Nickleback.  I like neither.

Remember when I was Fooled by Coldplay?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1046 on: April 19, 2012, 04:19:28 pm »

Just glanced back at that thread, and I'll admit I wish I had the "Whoomp! Clocks it is!" mashup.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1047 on: April 26, 2012, 04:08:07 am »

Today, talking to this dorky high-school aged kid who came in to buy a soda, I had a flashback. 9th grade, class field trip:

Quote
Dan, if you like, flipped out and shot up the school, you wouldn't kill me right?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1048 on: April 28, 2012, 04:52:11 pm »

I saw this at the Space Center.


fixed tags - choop
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:09:53 pm by Choop »
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1049 on: May 09, 2012, 03:28:56 am »

Funny:

my friends from high school are all posting BS about how backwards and horrible NC is, and how they're glad they left that dumbass state, etc. One guy implied we should have another civil war and burn a bunch of shit down in the south to make them more tolerant of gay people. Also the obligatory "I'm moving away, I hate NC now, gonna move to a state that respects all couples etc"

whereas my SIXTEEN YEAR OLD SISTER posts:
Quote
You don't hate north carolina, you don't hate the south, you're just pissed and disappointed. Shit happens, go forward and change it for our children. Try again. And we will try again.
And we will succeed.

Sorry guys, you just got owned by a sixteen year old who understands how the real world works.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 143   Go Up