Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

But Pat, the Cure is silly! It is silly to like The Cure!

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 283202 times)

0 Members and 40 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1065 on: May 09, 2012, 11:57:11 pm »

Yes, OK. That I can see.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1066 on: May 10, 2012, 12:31:38 am »

I'm pretty sure that only ambassadors get to keep their titles for life. Everybody else loses the title when their term/appointment is up. Thus if you ran into Bill Clinton tomorrow it would be technically improper to call him "Mr. President." But this is one of those things where doing it right is going to make you look wrong in most people's eyes (see also: nonplussed).
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1067 on: May 10, 2012, 01:07:30 am »

Is it ok if I continue to refer to him as Mr. Funky President?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1068 on: May 10, 2012, 04:14:54 am »

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1069 on: May 10, 2012, 04:21:47 am »

So I realize I sound like Pauline Kael saying "Nobody I know voted for Nixon." These folks are out there, somewhere, and apparently there's a lot of them, but I'll be damned if I have any meaningful contact with them. It's mind-boggling.

Living in Utah, I'm pretty much surrounded by them at work and family gatherings.

It's interesting to see how my parents (who live in the Seattle area but are very much socially conservative) have changed their views on the subject. Or at least don't see it as black and white anymore. My dad's cousin is gay, and they have him and his partner over for dinner every once in a while. His cousin is now suffering from Alzheimer's, and I think seeing his partner care for him makes it hard for them to see this as a bad thing. My dad has admitted that he would have a hard time supporting something like the NC bill. I consider this a small victory on my part. This is my influence.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1070 on: May 10, 2012, 01:56:32 pm »

I'm trying to wrap my head around this one asshole I know. He's a terrible person and I do my best to never talk to him. But he's one of these super-libertarian types. He offered to pay for people's tickets if they would go see The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged or whichever Rand book they made into a movie. But now he's posting all this Romans shit about how being gay is wrong. But libertarians are pretty much by definition against laws like the NC one. It makes my head hurt.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1071 on: May 10, 2012, 02:07:52 pm »

Too often the truth is "I'm a libertarian! I believe people should be free to make their own choices whenever possible! Except when those choices result in things I don't like. Then, those choices should be taken away. But choices for me--that's good, there."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1072 on: May 10, 2012, 03:30:18 pm »

I'm trying to wrap my head around this one asshole I know.

Could be worse.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1073 on: May 10, 2012, 05:49:41 pm »

Is it possible to fist with one's head?  I don't think I want to know the answer to this.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1074 on: May 10, 2012, 05:52:38 pm »

Shit my idiot supervisors say:

1) Supervisor: "In the first quarter of last year, we had 60% of our incidents. We have to get that number down."

2) Underling: "There is a statistically significant lowering of life expectancy from working night shifts."
    Supervisor: "I used to work night shift all the time and it never caused me any problems."
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1075 on: May 10, 2012, 06:03:08 pm »

I'm trying to wrap my head around this one asshole I know. He's a terrible person and I do my best to never talk to him. But he's one of these super-libertarian types. He offered to pay for people's tickets if they would go see The Fountainhead or Atlas Shrugged or whichever Rand book they made into a movie. But now he's posting all this Romans shit about how being gay is wrong. But libertarians are pretty much by definition against laws like the NC one. It makes my head hurt.

Maybe he's one of those state's rights kind of guys? Ron Paul thinks homosexuality is sinful but that the federal government should stay out of it.

I don't understand how some Christians can support Ayn Rand. I know you don't have to agree with everything a person says, but at the core of her moral code is a complete rejection of altruism, which at least by my readings of the Gospels seems central to Christianity.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1076 on: May 14, 2012, 02:07:23 pm »

Quote from: Fox News crawl
Obama diverting attention from economy, dividing nation over gay marriage issue.

Yeah, sticking up for basic human decency - what a smokescreen!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1077 on: May 14, 2012, 03:09:46 pm »

Yeah, sticking up for basic human decency - what a smokescreen!

fox news darlings would never try to divide the nation in regards to gay marraige.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1078 on: May 14, 2012, 08:15:15 pm »

A fellow aut-mom posted this to FB today and I think it might be the worst poem I've ever read.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2012/05/09/i-am-child-autism

ProTip: Just because your autistic child is a genius doesn't mean you are too, bitch.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1079 on: May 14, 2012, 08:42:34 pm »

Wow, that "poem" is just cringe worthy and also smarmy.  I hate when people try to use art in any form as a tool for something else.  It's like ramming a square peg into a round hole.  Nothing ruins a poem (and fails to illicit empathy) more than expository writing. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 143   Go Up