Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Do you love saying "Canadian bacon"?

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 282463 times)

0 Members and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1530 on: April 22, 2013, 03:13:22 pm »

You should have told him you have the kind he wanted, and gone and gotten the exact same cake from the back.

Smells is an evil genius.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1531 on: April 22, 2013, 03:19:02 pm »

Smells is an evil genius.

Smells understands how people think.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1532 on: April 22, 2013, 03:54:40 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1533 on: April 22, 2013, 04:05:24 pm »

Holy balls, those cakes were awful.

Except the Darth Vader/It's a Girl. That one was kind of awesome.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1534 on: April 22, 2013, 05:09:36 pm »

The URL for the cake place had "peggy" in the title, and I immediately thought the wrong thing.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1535 on: April 22, 2013, 07:58:11 pm »

As of today I am on a 24 year and 11 month streak of not telling anyone to go fuck themselves. I would like to break this streak before I get to 25 years.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1536 on: April 22, 2013, 08:04:59 pm »

The Cabage Patch kid one - I lost it.  

The whole "going to the back" thing is something I learned quickly in retail.  It is far better, even if you know with 100% certainty that the customer is wrong, to go check the back.  It takes less out of you than having a fight with a stubborn/stupid person, and if you do bring out a thing, even if it's an alternate to a thing on a shelf right in front of them, it makes people feel better, or at least they go away.  They got "special" service and I got a five minute mini-break while staring at some boxes instead of five minutes of aggravation.  I've pulled that trick so many times, at so many jobs, especially during the Christmas rush.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1537 on: April 22, 2013, 08:18:23 pm »

The Cabage Patch kid one - I lost it.  

The whole "going to the back" thing is something I learned quickly in retail.  It is far better, even if you know with 100% certainty that the customer is wrong, to go check the back.  It takes less out of you than having a fight with a stubborn/stupid person, and if you do bring out a thing, even if it's an alternate to a thing on a shelf right in front of them, it makes people feel better, or at least they go away.  They got "special" service and I got a five minute mini-break while staring at some boxes instead of five minutes of aggravation.  I've pulled that trick so many times, at so many jobs, especially during the Christmas rush.

Yeah, when we change locations next month we're not going to have a "back room." I'm not sure how I'll handle difficult customers without a stockroom to hide in.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1538 on: April 22, 2013, 10:16:08 pm »

That is a problem. Is there somewhere you can put, like, a curtain across a space big enough for you to stand in, and no one else will know there isn't a door behind it?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1539 on: April 22, 2013, 10:47:04 pm »

Not really. There's a door leading to a hallway with a restroom, and there will be shelving with merchandise on it, but it will be additional retail space. Customers will be allowed back there.

Though I guess anyone who's not a regular won't know that. And the regulars, generally, are not pains in the ass.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1540 on: April 22, 2013, 10:56:21 pm »

I go to the back "to check" all the time. There isn't anything back there, because our store was designed by idiots. We are always out of stuff because there is no storage space.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1541 on: April 23, 2013, 12:34:25 am »

Yeah, when we change locations next month we're not going to have a "back room." I'm not sure how I'll handle difficult customers without a stockroom to hide in.

That's when you need to step out back to check the loading dock, even if there is no loading dock.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1542 on: April 23, 2013, 05:40:55 am »

this lady on my neighborhood list serv is complaining about kids coming in her yard to retrive their baseballs, and I want so badly to post youtube clips of The Sandlot.

She is convinced that they are PURPOSELY hitting the balls into her yard, and won't explain why. Other than mentioning that their parents are "drug dealers, thiefs and liars."

Her concern is that one of her dogs will attack/bite a kid, and will get put down or whatever. Which is a legitimate concern, I guess. Still, hard not to see her as a crazy old lady literally telling kids to stay off her lawn. Especially in light of the bizarre belief that they do it on purpose.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1543 on: April 23, 2013, 12:56:11 pm »

That's a legitimate concern, but it would be better to solve it by not leaving her dogs in the yard by themselves. Most dogs are not as happy that way as people think and it ends up causing behavior problems.

But it's funny she thinks they all have such good aim hitting a baseball.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1544 on: April 23, 2013, 01:45:31 pm »

Me: "Can I get a breakfast bagel please?"
Cashier: "No. We stopped serving those at 11."
Me: ::shrugs and walks away::
Cashier: "Sike! I'm just messing with you! You can have a breakfast bagel any time."
Me: ::kept walking::

At first I thought, dude, lighten up. But I thought about it some more and I would do the same thing.

Yeah, when we change locations next month we're not going to have a "back room." I'm not sure how I'll handle difficult customers without a stockroom to hide in.

Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 143   Go Up