Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

No, Philippe! Too soon!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 282616 times)

0 Members and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2010, 07:29:27 pm »

I wish that the powers that be would be more willing to de-car or incarcerate folks that did fucked up things on the road (no insurance, no license, no registration, DUI/DWI, driving while texting, etc). We are too willing to keep letting people drive when they demonstrably have no business doing so. We try not to let people randomly discharge firearms into crowds, and yet we are really pretty lax about letting people pilot multi-ton death machines around with very little attention actually on the task at hand.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2010, 10:22:55 pm »

we are really pretty lax about letting people pilot multi-ton death machines around with very little attention actually on the task at hand.
This.

I'm studying for my motorcycle driver's license now.  The book essentially calls motorists oblivious jack-offs.  It boggles my mind that we allow this state of affairs to be business-as-usual.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2010, 10:28:30 pm »

so, sometimes I look at/send text messages when my car is stopped at a red light. My friends yell at me for this. Am I the bad guy here?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #93 on: October 13, 2010, 10:30:35 pm »

Dude, the fine out here is $1K plus court fees (translate that to an end bill of ~$1700 or a week in the pokey if you got more time than money) and it ain't working.
In that case, I'd agree that impounding might be the only solution.

I agree that it doesn't have much to do with immigration status.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #94 on: October 13, 2010, 10:38:52 pm »

so, sometimes I look at/send text messages when my car is stopped at a red light. My friends yell at me for this. Am I the bad guy here?

Yes. Anything involving a cellphone is an In Park Only thing, just like cookies are a sometimes food.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2010, 11:11:46 pm »

so, sometimes I look at/send text messages when my car is stopped at a red light. My friends yell at me for this. Am I the bad guy here?

I do it too. I know it's wrong, but I do it anyway, because I can't quite imagine any situation where it would cause an accident. Worst-case scenario, I miss the green light...and only that if there's nobody behind me to honk 0.5 seconds after the light has changed.

So help me become a better driver -- why should I not send a quick text at a red light?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2010, 11:20:25 pm »

So help me become a better driver -- why should I not send a quick text at a red light?

I would say only:
a) the delay at the red light thing, which you addressed, and
b) you should still be paying attention to your surroundings even if your vehicle has stopped. You should try to be ready to take action if things go to shit around you. Many people do not do this, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2010, 11:23:59 pm »

Mainly because of all the crazy shit other people can do despite there being a red light.

A lot of the jobs in my working life have either been all driving or half driving and... so many of the accidents I've seen happen with someone blowing a red light or cheating some kind of fuck*ng weird illegal turn or doing something else ridiculous that ends up impacting someone legally idling at the red but couldn't react fast enough to correct. Or, hell, being first at a red and not reacting when the driver behind them goes Pavlovian and guns their engine at the flick of green and they get rammed.

Unless it is like three in the morning or on an empty highway, I basically drive with an intense defensive paranoia that is not unwarranted for a machine that could kill with one wrong move.

But it serves me pretty well.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2010, 11:27:54 pm »

I have on a couple of occasions pulled out of someone's way before they nailed me. However, I have also once not been paying attention and gotten tagged when I could have avoided it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2010, 11:28:18 pm »

PAY ATTENTION PEOPLE. That's the main thing.

When I was a kid a teacher told me to pay attention, I guess I took it to heart.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2010, 01:32:21 am »

damn, I am constantly impressed by my brother and sister. They are both turning into like... really assertive, good-at-arguing people who call people out on their shit, and get what they want/deserve.

my sister posted this really angry thing on facebook about some "multiculturalism" thing they had at her school, and my brother's best friend posted a weird, "in my official capacity"-style apology letter in response. On her facebook. "I know the issue is personal for you and your family, and hope this particular incident did not tarnish the spirit with which the rest of Community Day was planned and carried out" was choice phrase.

weirddd.

now I want to know what this guy said about immigrants that made my sister so pissed off.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2010, 03:03:47 am »

now I want to know what this guy said about immigrants that made my sister so pissed off.

I mean really, fuck*ng immigrants, all driving around without insurance.  There ought to be a law.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2010, 04:03:28 am »

I mean really, fuck*ng immigrants, all driving around without insurance.  There ought to be a law.

Can for completing the circle of bigotry, Paul.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2010, 04:19:39 am »

Uncle sends a lot of ones that are similar to this.

Quote
***** Bartender

A guy goes into a bar, and there's a ***** bartender.
 
The ***** says, "What will you have?"  The guy says, "Martini."
 
The ***** brings back the best martini ever and says to the man,
"So what's your IQ?"  The guy says, "158".
 
The ***** then proceeds to talk about physics, space exploration and medical technology.
The guy finishes his drink and leaves, but he is curious, so he goes back into the bar.

The ***** bartender says, What will you have?" The guy says, "Martini".
Again, the ***** makes a fabulous martini, gives it to the man and says,
"What's your IQ?" The guy says, "100."
 
The ***** then starts to talk about NASCAR, Budweiser and John Deere tractors.
The guy leaves, but finds it very interesting, so he thinks he will try it one more time.
He goes back into the bar.
 
The ***** says, "What will you have?" The guy says, "Martini", and
the ***** brings him another great martini. The ***** again says, "What's
your IQ?" The guy says, "Uh, about 60."
 
The ***** leans in real close and says, "So, you people still happy you voted for Obama?"
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2010, 12:42:35 pm »

That is a very different kind of joke when you forget the filters and assume that Paul censored out an offensive racial slur from the original text.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 143   Go Up