Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

It sounds to me like you haven't read the Sex Rulebook! The first rule of Sex is that everybody can always get it on. Man, go for it! Awesome! Awesome! -=RAY=-

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 282511 times)

0 Members and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #165 on: October 27, 2010, 06:30:03 pm »

Because in Japan, English has a generally positive connotation (it's the language of Western businessmen and educated Japanese), whereas in the US, Spanish has a negative connotation (it's the language of migrant workers and illegal immigrants). It's not xenophobia or isolationism so much as racism and classism, IMHO.

Japan's only one example, though, and not the best, since not many people in Japan actually speak English all that well despite the fact that they all study it in school. I only thought of it because of the mention of road signs. But there are many countries where nearly everyone speaks more than one language. It would hardly be the end of American English if Spanish were more broadly used.

Of course, it probably won't be, anyway. Last I looked, Spanish speakers are just like every past wave of immigrants: by the second and definitely third generation they've lost their language and are monolingual English speakers.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2010, 07:20:17 pm »


In comparison it's weird that people in the world's dominant country, speaking the language that is basically the worldwide common tongue, are so afraid of being taken over by this terrifying invading language. We are so isolated, and life is so easy for us already speaking the dominant language and not having to learn another, that we don't realize that multilingualism is the norm in most other parts of the world.

The only way a fucktard like Palin stands a chance of holding public office at a national level is for her to gain supporters because of their irrational fear of some terrible thing or other threatening to destroy the ways of life of Real Americans. A fear they likely developed from taking too seriously comments from blowhards like Glenn Beck and politicians like Palin. Right now spanish-speaking immigrants are convenient targets.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #167 on: October 27, 2010, 08:22:46 pm »

"fucktard" is basically the perfect word for Sarah Palin.

If I didn't know that it predated her inexplicable fame, I would think it was invented specifically to describe her.

Well-done.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #168 on: October 27, 2010, 08:37:37 pm »

"fucktard" is basically the perfect word for Sarah Palin.

If I didn't know that it predated her inexplicable fame, I would think it was invented specifically to describe her.

Perhaps a new filter is in order?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #169 on: October 28, 2010, 05:40:10 am »

I was surprised to find the street sign thing in China as well, given they are if anything more isolationist than Japan. On the other hand they also love foreign money and I did visit post-olympics.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2010, 02:53:04 pm »

Quote
TRUTHS FOR MATURE ADULTS

    1. A best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.

    2. Nothing is more upsetting than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

    3. I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

    4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.

    5. How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?

    6. Was learning cursive really necessary?

    7. Map Quest really needs to start directions on # 5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

    8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.

    9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.

    10. Bad decisions make good stories.

    11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know you just aren't going to do anything productive the rest of the day.

    12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I don't want to have to restart my collection again.

    13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I swear I did not make any changes to.

    14. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.

    15. I think the freezer deserves a light as well.

    16. I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than Kay.

    17. I wish Google Maps had an "Avoid Ghetto" routing option.

    18. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.

    19. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?

    20. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers and sisters!

    21. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. #####? ##### never get dirty, and you can wear them forever

    22. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is.

    23. Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the Tail on the Donkey - but I'd bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time!

    24. The first testicular guard, the "Cup," was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took 100 years for men to realize that their brain is also important.

As I was reading this I was thinking that I would post this to show that sometimes my uncle sends things that aren't rabid right wing nonsense.  I was going to point out that He'll probably not have to worry about replacing his blue (sp) ray collection because blu ray is probably the last physical medium for delivering movies.  But at his age he's doing pretty good with the digital communications (rabid right wing emails notwithstanding).  But then I got to 17.  Geez!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2010, 03:07:59 pm »

It's funny 'cause it's true!
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #172 on: October 28, 2010, 03:49:03 pm »

NOTE: Has anyone ever heard a new government official being identified as a devout Catholic, a devout Jew or a devout Protestant...?
 Just wondering.

The amusing thing is that the writer of this screed is the one who is attempting to demonize people by calling them "devout muslims" and then is turning around and disingenuously saying "who, me?"
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2010, 06:06:07 pm »

Quote from: Asherdan
#17 seems stupid but I woulda used that feature for a recent work trip out to the San Fernando/Pacoima area.

I have clearly not come to terms with My Situation because this statement fills me only with nostalgia.

"Oh man, that reminds me of that public health clinic where a good quarter of the patients looked armed that I had to go to after nightfall... good times... good times."
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2010, 06:08:05 pm »

I have clearly not come to terms with My Situation

You don't say.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2010, 07:13:29 pm »

Can'd for snarkasm!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2010, 08:30:57 pm »

I almost didn't post that, thinking it unkind. I believe my wife may be rubbing off on me.

Ho ho! Rubbing off! (One of you would have gone there.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #177 on: October 29, 2010, 10:53:05 am »

(One of you would have gone there.)

I'm sure she did.

Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #178 on: November 04, 2010, 10:19:02 pm »

Quote
My grandfather’s generation watched as friends died in WWII and Korea, my father’s generation watched as friends died in Vietnam, and my generation watches as friends die Iraq and Afghanistan.

None of them died for the Mexican Flag.

Everyone  died for the U.S. flag.

Just this week, in Texas, a student raised a Mexican flag  on a school flag pole; another student took it  down. Guess who was expelled...the kid who took  it down.

Kids in high school in California were sent home on Cinco de Mayo  because they wore T-shirts with the American  flag printed on them.

Enough is  enough.

The below e-mail message needs to  be viewed by every American; and every American  needs to stand up for America.

We've bent  over to appease the America-haters long  enough.

I'm taking a stand.

I'm  standing up because the hundreds of thousands  who died fighting in wars for this country, and  for the US. flag, that can’t stand  up.

And shame on anyone who tries to make  this a racist message.
A  Map Of My Country:

Let  me make this perfectly  clear!

(Image of North America with Mexico labeled "Yours" and United States labeled "Not Yours")

THIS  IS MY COUNTRY!

And,  because I make This  statement

DOES  NOT Mean I'm against immigration!!!

YOU  ARE WELCOME HERE, IN MY COUNTRY!

Welcome!  To come through legally:

1.  Get a sponsor!

2.  Get a place to lay your  head!

3.Get  a job!

4.Live  By OUR  Rules!

5.Pay YOUR Taxes!

And

6.Learn  the language  like  every immigrant has  in the past!!!

AND

7.Please  don't demand that we hand over our lifetime

savings of  Social  Security Funds  to you.

If  you don't want to forward this for fear of  offending someone...

Then  YOU’RE PART OF THE  PROBLEM!

When  will  AMERICANS STOP  giving away  THEIR RIGHTS???

We've  gone so far the other  way...

bent  over backwards not to offend anyone. 

But  it seems no one cares about  the

AMERICAN  CITIZEN who's  being offended!

WAKE  UP America !!!

If  You agree.... Pass this  on.

If  You don't agree.. Delete  It!!!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2010, 10:35:56 pm »

The last bit is great - they all say "if you agree, tell people, if you don't, shut the fuck up" (slight paraphrase).

These people do realize that migrants, especially illegals, end up paying into the system and taking little or nothing out, right?

Also, as best as I can remember, I've never watched as a friend of mine died. That would be sorta fucked.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 143   Go Up