Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 284137 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #375 on: February 20, 2011, 09:10:55 pm »

Shit my uncle said yesterday:

Asians (yes, Asians) developed high fructose corn syrup to kill us.

I wasn't even bugged about the whole conspiracy theory thing. I love that shit, nothing is more entertaining than that shit. But seriously, Asians? At least be specific dude. It's safe to assume he's thinking of East Asia, but maybe he doesn't know that there are many different countries in that region, many of which would never collaborate, not even to kill Americans. Or would they...

THE WORLD IS AGAINST US

Edit: maybe he got it from this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysine_price-fixing_conspiracy Never mind totally thinking of something else
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:24:40 pm by miles »
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #376 on: February 20, 2011, 10:24:52 pm »

I was going to say I was pretty sure that no Asians were to blame for HFCS but I couldn't find the book I read about it in. Silly me, I forgot about the Internet. OK, there are some Japanese involved at some point, but they don't see to be the main culprits, really.

Quote
HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP
"In 1967 new Japanese enzyme technology brought about a revolution in corn syrup development. High fructose corn syrup was made by a more complete hydrolysis of glucose to fructose. IsoSweet, a high fructose corn syrup developed by [A.E. Staley Manufacturing Company], was approximately 92 percent as sweet as sugar."
---Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America, Andrew F. Smith editor, [Oxford University Press:New York] 2004, Volume 1 (p. 346)

"...the premium is high-fructose corn syrup, first commercialized in 1967 by the Clinton Corn Processing Co. of Clinton, Iowa, which patented Isomerose (named for the enzyme xylose isomerase, which converts glucose to fructose). By 1972, the company had increased the sweetness from 14 to 42 percent fructose, to make it equivalent to ordinary sugar. As sugar prices rose, food and beverage industrialists began to replace more and more sucrose with "Isosweet." Within four years, production of the supersweet syrup jumped from two hundred thousand to two and a half billion pounds a year, and within the decade it had become a major component of all major soft drinks. Today, HFCS can be made 25 percent sweeter than sugar...and in crystalline form is an important rival to saccharin in the sugar-substitute industry."
---The Story of Corn (p. 273-274)
http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcandy.html#hfcs
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #377 on: February 20, 2011, 11:40:57 pm »

I'm sure the Japanese were super eager to make money off of all those corn fields they have.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #378 on: February 21, 2011, 12:57:55 am »

now they call it corn sugar.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #379 on: February 21, 2011, 01:04:55 am »

I'm sure the Japanese were super eager to make money off of all those corn fields they have.

I know, right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #380 on: February 21, 2011, 02:48:19 am »

It was invented by a joint venture of three Asian companies: the Calgirr Company, Alchel Daniers Midland and Mon San To.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #381 on: February 21, 2011, 03:58:14 am »

It was invented by a joint venture of three Asian companies: the Calgirr Company, Alchel Daniers Midland and Mon San To.
I'm a little surprised by this.

And wouldn't it be Midrand?
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #382 on: February 21, 2011, 05:23:19 am »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #383 on: February 21, 2011, 05:38:50 am »

So all this time it's actually been Corn Sylup?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #384 on: February 21, 2011, 02:22:34 pm »

Velly sullearist.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #385 on: February 21, 2011, 02:33:31 pm »

I'm a little surprised by this.


Just trying to think like a corporate bigwig.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #386 on: February 21, 2011, 02:44:11 pm »

So all this time it's actually been Corn Sylup?

Well, Coln Sylup.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #387 on: March 04, 2011, 06:35:11 pm »

Of course he actually attached a power point slideshow to the email.  Hey, I just got an email from 1998.  Hilarious.  I normally don't open these because they are always the same over processed photos that are supposed to make you go Wow! accompanied by some treacly message.  But this one intrigued me because of the title 'Digital Editing.' and the remark in the email that "This is something we all need to learn to do!" 

So anyway, it looks like they have brought the powerpoint experience to the internet for the digitally challenged.  Awesome!

I only bring this to your attention because I got fooled.  As I was watching the slideshow I started formulating my reply.  I almost never reply to these bs emails, but I wanted to comment on the "something we need to learn remark."  Dude, I KNOW how to do this, I was gonna brag to my uncle.  Maybe even link him to some of my work.

Then I got to the last couple of slides.  WTF, all of that was just a set up for a lame ass Hillary Clinton joke? *heavy sigh*
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #388 on: March 04, 2011, 07:55:02 pm »

When I searched for that slideshow I found several versions.  All the same except the last two panels were changed.  I saw at least 2 with George Bush before I found the one with Hillary Clinton. 

I don't think I need to reinvent that wheel.  Wait, were you talking about something else?  Did something specific happen in '02?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #389 on: March 04, 2011, 08:33:58 pm »

There were three goats, you know.  The first one was Goat A.  The second one was Goat B. 

Ash is talking about that third goat.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 143   Go Up