Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Have some dignity.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 282992 times)

0 Members and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #450 on: April 20, 2011, 09:48:53 pm »

How true or false is this?

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/index.php
Quote
Volcanoes contribute about 110 million tons of carbon dioxide per year while man's activities contribute about 10 billion tons per year.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #451 on: April 20, 2011, 10:17:31 pm »

Man am I ever not going to get involved in this little discussion.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #452 on: April 20, 2011, 10:53:45 pm »

Man am I ever not going to get involved in this little discussion.

Man, I started this shit and I don't even want to get involved.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #453 on: April 21, 2011, 01:20:48 am »

And I'm bored with it too!
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #454 on: April 21, 2011, 02:01:51 am »

Given that efforts to reduce carbon output probably have not yet done much, it does seem possible that a particularly intense volcano could off-set them.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #455 on: April 21, 2011, 02:22:19 am »

I lived in Pasadena from '85 to '88. My dad still lives there. It's definitely much better now, but that's not because of a carbon output reduction so far as I know.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #456 on: April 21, 2011, 03:14:50 am »

Those would be the sulfur and nitric oxide reductions enforced by the State of California.  True that they have next to nothing to do with greenhouse emissions, but they are similarly inconvenient to the market, but well worth the effort.  I too have noticed a big improvement in air quality in my various trips through So-Cal, and while I'm a pretty big fan of the free market, I'm not sorry to see Big Government succeed in this case.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #457 on: April 21, 2011, 08:36:21 pm »

Actually, I will say that it's odd to work with people who actively reject the idea that humans have any impact on the earth, its atmosphere, or its denizens. To which I say "hey fuck it, I don't have any kids so when yours are breathing through gill filters it ain't no skin off my ass".
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #458 on: April 21, 2011, 10:33:14 pm »

I say fuck it because my belief is that there are just too many people (and growing by the second), and no matter how much conservatism there is we are gonna run this poor old planet into the ground in the short run.  There's just no way we are ever going to become willing to make the kind of sacrifices that must be made in order to prevent a cataclysm.  We are gonna drive our SUV's full speed right off the edge of the cliff.

Barring the event of nuclear war, which could happen at any time, I'd say we have about a century of continued slow decline until this place starts to resemble a Mad Max movie.  My hope is that we (I) can escape this planet before the collapse.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #459 on: April 21, 2011, 10:59:17 pm »

Asher's point that regulations and incentives can improve things is a good one. Turning the global warming truck around is a pretty daunting task, but there are other environmental success stories. I understand that the highways used to be covered with litter, but fines and changing social attitudes have made littering taboo.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #460 on: April 22, 2011, 01:28:43 am »

The only source I have for the idea that everything will be fine if we do it real slow-like to avoid pissing off neanderthals is this one Ash guy on the Internet.

Actually, on second read he is saying that of you ram legislation down people's throats for their own good, they will get used to it. I like that idea.

Shit my Dan says: tobacco should be illegal.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 01:34:04 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #461 on: April 22, 2011, 01:42:39 am »

Shit my Dan says: tobacco should be illegal.

you get pot legalized across the country and i'll be happy to let you take away my tobacco. until then, back the fuck off.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #462 on: April 22, 2011, 05:44:46 pm »

The Tea Party doesn't get bigger because of things that are actually happening - the Tea Party gets bigger because of bullshit propaganda and spin that Big Business packages nicely for Ultra-Right-Wingers to dispense on Fox News. (For instance, the birther movement, among about a billion other things.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #463 on: April 22, 2011, 08:23:57 pm »

See what I mean about avoidable consequences with poor outcomes? When you shove too hard and mis-read a portion of the public you actually set back your agenda, whether it is a good fuck*ng idea or not.

So what you are saying is we need to find a better way to reach the dumfuck majority in this country.  I wonder how we can go about this?  Do you think we could convince Larry the Cable Guy to start talking about fuel efficient vehicles?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #464 on: April 22, 2011, 09:37:19 pm »

Please, my miggroid. Six million illegal immigrants and PEU's wagging the political dowg are a non-issue dream in California?

The issues are there, but I agree most of the packaging stinks badly.

They package it as illegals (and don't even get me started with how much they actually bring to the table as opposed to taking away from it) but that's a prettier up way of saying "fuck the brown and black people". The core Tea Partiers would just as soon see an America that is pure white as the driven snow.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 143   Go Up