Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 281948 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #600 on: July 22, 2011, 11:58:34 pm »

This is true. But this one guy -- you'll recognize him as "the Father" if you ever read comments on my posts, dude reads and comments on just about everything -- he is posting pics of his fish individually. Fish! Individually! Multiple pics of the same his aquarium, which he posts as links instead of putting them in an album like a civilized person. And he captions them with their genus and species, just for that extra layer of pretension, I guess.

This is, of course, interspersed with plugs for his self-published book on the Roman/Orthodox schism, and, inexplicably, a half-dozen clips from the Muppet Show in the last few days.

I am really irritated with the Father lately, he is the most annoying person in my FB feed right now, and I have a bunch of "teeeeennnnsssssss LOL OMFG" on my friends list, so that's saying something.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #601 on: July 23, 2011, 02:17:07 am »

You guys need to not let people get to you so easily.  It's hella easy to gloss over stuff, especially boring stuff. 

Stuff like over-posting pictures and invitations and commenting on a lot of stuff doesn't bother me, almost regardless of content so long as it's original.  It indicates to me that the person cares enough, at least on a minimal level, to share his stuff with me or pay attention to what I say.  It's a mind-bogglingly huge world full of people who do not give a SHIT about me.  There aren't many who care even a little, so I tend to value the few that do.

What does piss me off are game requests and forwarding lame-ass feel good, guiltifying, Jesus wept because you didn't repost this as your status for fifteen minutes K-rap.  Look, if you got something you want to say to me, SAY IT.  Spare me the cutesy bullshit.  And unless you know for a fact that I'm playing the game too, I do not want to hear about it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #602 on: July 23, 2011, 09:11:25 pm »

I can gloss over text no problem, it's having a bunch of photos that make it hard to find the actual stuff I want to read that bugs me.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #603 on: July 26, 2011, 04:21:48 am »

Yeah, I was really expecting something better. Don't let your politics get in the way of the funny.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #604 on: July 26, 2011, 04:29:54 am »

I can gloss over text no problem, it's having a bunch of photos that make it hard to find the actual stuff I want to read that bugs me.

Luckily Google+ is new enough that I haven't seen a whole lot of this. Then again, I'm not very good about keeping up on social networks anyway.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #605 on: August 03, 2011, 07:58:05 pm »

I . . . have begun to receive "Shit my ________ says" emails from my ex-mother-in-law. So far, it's just been "vodka and ice causes x, rum and ice causes y, whiskey and ice causes z, ice is bad for you"-type stuff, but I'm worried.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #606 on: August 03, 2011, 08:28:31 pm »

I . . . have begun to receive "Shit my ________ says" emails from my ex-mother-in-law. So far, it's just been "vodka and ice causes x, rum and ice causes y, whiskey and ice causes z, ice is bad for you"-type stuff, but I'm worried.

Somebody shared that same joke on Facebook less than a week ago.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #607 on: August 03, 2011, 08:39:00 pm »

Somebody shared that same joke on Facebook less than a week ago.

If somebody did, then 25 million people did.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #608 on: August 03, 2011, 08:45:43 pm »

If somebody did, then 25 million people did.

Yes and it's made it to granny's email list quick.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #609 on: August 05, 2011, 03:20:28 pm »

The authority of fear: 

If the information comes to me from a form of technology I do not understand, and therefore fear, then the information has the authority of the fear it caused me and therefore I may believe I must respect this authority and perpetuate this fear. 

The thing is, when it comes to folks who have fearful and/or confused feelings about techology, they are already experiencing anxiety by using said techology, and the content of such messages validates that fear, so in feeling validated, they pass on this odd form of reinforcement to the next group of people, and sure enough, several of their peers are likewise validated and reinforced.  It seems irrational from the outside, but within the structure itself automatic response is illicted - analytical thought is turned off.  It's pretty interesting from a psychology standpoint.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #610 on: August 05, 2011, 09:52:49 pm »

Science!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #611 on: August 06, 2011, 06:27:19 am »

Facebook status of the commissioner who married my husband and I (ie an adult, probably in her early 60's):

Quote
Needing someone to talk to? How many would actually be there 4 u ? I guarantee not even 1 of my Facebook friends will copy this status. If you would be there for me set this as your status and see how many of us would be there 4 each other! (I did for 1 of my friends) Lets try it out and see. I posted this to show a friend they were wrong. Some one is always listening

Fuck.  Seriously considering an unfriending here.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #612 on: August 06, 2011, 06:45:39 am »

I got that from a couple of my friends today.  They are good people in most respects.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #613 on: August 07, 2011, 01:06:05 pm »

Those really don't make sense on facebook, where you can easily indicate that your are paying attention by responding to what people post.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #614 on: August 08, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »

I occasionally respond to those by making up a satirical version of it and posting it as my status.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 143   Go Up