Oh man, see this is basically the root cause of the death of the greeting card industry. Not that that is a bad thing. It used to be that ladies of a certain sensibility would go to the Hallmark store, pick out some card that was sure to make the receiver feel mildly guilty for their lack of attention, and then they'd have to sign it, add a few of their own words and mail them off to some poor person they were associated with who would then feel sort of indebted and uncomfortable about the situation. Now it's all in the click of a c*ck, and sadly, unlike the greeting card, these emails never come with a cheque in a silly amount that made one feel all-the-more awkward about how much financial value their aunt/granny/etc. placed on them.
In vaguely related news, this is the first year my hubby's all-round-intolerant-of-differences grandma didn't send me a birthday card and cheque made out to "Mrs.(insert hubby's FIRST and last name here)." I guess she figured out that I don't really need her superior, mildly racist attention, seeing as the last time I saw her was at a funeral two years ago. In case you're wondering, yes I did cash the cheques, but only because when I didn't cash the first one, she called a couple months later to remind me that I hadn't, while passive aggressively suggesting that I hadn't gotten around to it because I was obviously too busy to call her, and therefore had no time to cash a cheque so maybe she should just send cash.