Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Sssshhh...I'm discovering Sleater-Kinney. This is a special time in a boy's life.

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 282954 times)

0 Members and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #795 on: December 16, 2011, 06:33:25 pm »

fear of being posted about on this thread is keeping me from saying mean things about the recently deceased.

I can just post this and say, not a fan:

Quote
‎"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the 'transcendent' and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selgiraffe. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives, and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you."
--Chris Hitchens
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #796 on: December 16, 2011, 06:56:54 pm »

Dude was repellent in a lotta ways and a genius in a lotta others.

Give him this: you probably aren't going to find a person alive who agreed with him on every point.

For example, shunning the con of the imaginary transcendent and the ways others try to make you a slave with it, I cannot agree with it more.

And the idea of distrusting compassion, I cannot agree with it less.

He had his own system and he went with it. Happy Trails, strange man.

Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #797 on: December 16, 2011, 09:54:45 pm »

I am a huge, huge fan of the fact that he volunteered to be waterboarded, and came out saying it is absolutely torture. You can't say he wasn't honest to his own ideals, it seems.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #798 on: December 17, 2011, 12:21:16 am »

I remember him mostly because of the waterboarding thing.  His experience convinced me as well that the practice is torture, along with (perhaps bizzarely) Kari Byron's experience on Mythbusters.
Esophageal cancer, too.  What a horrible death.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #799 on: December 17, 2011, 12:45:51 am »

He had his own system and he went with it. Happy Trails, strange man.

He was a great writer and always challenged with his work. I really admired the guy and am pretty bummed about it. Rest in peace you bastard.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #800 on: December 18, 2011, 01:57:48 am »

Somebody on the Straight Dope message board did the water boarding thing once, too. He had been a pretty big fan of it going in, but the opinion did not hold.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #801 on: December 18, 2011, 12:44:07 pm »

Somebody on the Straight Dope message board did the water boarding thing once, too. He had been a pretty big fan of it going in, but the opinion did not hold.

lets get pro-death penalty folks to try that same sort of experiment.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #802 on: December 19, 2011, 04:58:23 am »

You get caned, er canned for that remark kool aid
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #803 on: December 19, 2011, 07:06:03 am »

While we're at it, let's put people who are pro-imprisonment in prison.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #804 on: December 19, 2011, 03:46:17 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #805 on: December 20, 2011, 02:41:01 am »

Prison is not a deterrent or a solution. All it does is keep the animals and misfits and crazies from running around pulling their bullshit on the innocent and not so innocent. I say we need to make a choice: after the first short run imprisonment the next problem gets you dead. Or if that's too rich for you, we just lets it slide. Whatever way you want to go is fine by me. But the prison system of punishment is bullshit that don't work.

How about corporal punishment?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #806 on: December 20, 2011, 06:49:13 am »

Director: "If I was on LSD, I'd have more sense than you. Get it together child, you're embarrassing the men of this place."
This is called motivation.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #807 on: December 20, 2011, 01:40:22 pm »

"If I was on LSD, I'd have more sense than you."

I predict that I am going to spend the rest of my life struggling not to bust out and shout this at the like 3/4 of humanity that deserves it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #808 on: December 23, 2011, 08:11:34 pm »

my sister has discovered Hipster jokes and won't/can't stop. It might be a long 5 days.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #809 on: December 23, 2011, 10:41:27 pm »

shit that i say:

"bitches" is my favorite collective noun.  sometimes i refer to women as such.  i should probably be ashamed.....
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 143   Go Up