Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Crime drama, 1980: Magnum PI. 2005: NUMB3RS. One based on smiling and helicopters, one on showcasing higher math. Explain discrepancy.

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 282575 times)

0 Members and 50 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #885 on: February 21, 2012, 09:39:21 pm »

I'll be happy if this either results in her no longer being bat-shit or no longer being around.  I'll continue reporting my concerns.  Apparently at least one of my other coworkers is being encouraged to document her concerns with her as well.  I imagine the situation will lead to multiple confrontations or one big blow up.  I sure would prefer it if such a situation were properly facilitated by management.  Keeping my fingers crossed on that one, but not particularly hopeful that it will be the case..
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #886 on: February 22, 2012, 03:21:46 am »

When I read the initial "I hope you're happy" I was afraid that I should parse it in the standard (to me) sarcastic framing. I was sort of terrified where the following long story was going to go.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #887 on: February 22, 2012, 03:47:38 pm »

No, I think Ash was being the voice of reason there.  I did mean it semi-sarcastically in the "I hope you're happy, I ended up doing the right thing even though I really didn't want to."  In the end, doing the right thing and doing was is most confortable are two different things.  It would eat me up if I just ignored her actions, she may be an office troll, but unlike a message board, the fact that she is unethical, racist, dishonest and disrespectful in her job will have an impact on the lives of women she works with who are in desperate need of guidance, support and a healthy role model.  
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #888 on: February 22, 2012, 04:16:37 pm »

As you might guess, most people I work with don't very much care for "the Other" - women, homosexuals, democrats, poor people, non-whites, foreigners.

Some times I very seriously consider outing myself as a homosexual to them just to get in their face about it and make them confront it head-on. (I have heard one person up here state, quite firmly and seriously, that he doesn't know any homosexuals. Not that he knows of - literally that no one he knew could possibly be gay.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #889 on: February 22, 2012, 05:12:30 pm »

BECOME THE RULING BODY

I use this in my day to day life now.  It especially empowers me when anyone ask me if I've asked permission to shoot my flame throwers.  I usually say "they didn't tell me I couldn't," but I say to myself, "Be the Ruling body."

My friend Isaac really embraces this idea.  Check out this scene.  His "I'm the Government" line gets me everytime I think about it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #890 on: February 22, 2012, 05:14:57 pm »

It's the eternal battle, eh?  Nabu, you could spend your whole day calling a whole gang people on their ignorance.  Me, I've just got one lady.  

As for heterosexism in your particular workforce Nabu, being out numbered, even by brain dead tools, is a dangerous thing.  I'd actually worry about your safety if you outed yourself to these numbskulls.  

Just now, Bat-shit saw a worker going by the window who "is so skinny now she looks like a boy!  She used to be so fat!" and then ran out into the hall as that worker came in to congratulate her saying "you look so good. What's your secret?"  Another layer of her judgmental nature is to value her coworkers based on their weight.  Have I mentioned she runs support groups where the supposed intent is to build selfesteem in young mothers?  I... uh... *head explodes*
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #891 on: February 22, 2012, 05:19:46 pm »

And there's the other side - you have to fight this ignorance and bigotry in someone is supposed to be helping. I fight it in people whose purpose appears to be pretty much centered around being clods.

Thank you for your concern, Mel. It is possible that I underestimate their inhumanity. I hadn't really considered that I might put myself in danger.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:48:41 pm by Nabubrush »
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #892 on: February 23, 2012, 04:32:20 am »

Well, I am in that I'm sort of constantly calling people on their shit (two days ago there was a nice discussion of the N-word that ended with beet-red faces and balled fists).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #893 on: February 23, 2012, 04:53:59 pm »

Apologies to your particular style and all, but I find I am much better suited to talking things out. Dude did get pretty furious about how unfair it was that "they" got to use the word and he couldn't (long story, not typing it out on phone) but I met all his objections point by point and changed his mindset. Actually got two of my co-workers in the same discussion. These people aren't deep thinkers, so usually when I get into it I can get to them. If I can't, I end up telling them not to use the word around me.

The queer thing is tougher because it's a moral issue with some (most?) of these people. Harder to get them on board. That's why I've been flirting (heh) with just throwing it in their face. And it's not like they're going gang up on me behind the foundry. I do work in an office. I'll think on it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #894 on: February 23, 2012, 05:13:06 pm »

Recently I heard the N-word and was surprised that I still have such a visceral response to that word. Certain of my (black) coworkers say that word, and I don't feel like someone is punching me in the stomach when they say it. So I kind of thought I had gotten acclimated. Then I heard a white dude say it and was proven wrong.

I am a big fan of this explanation of why "the other F word" isn't OK. Or why you should think twice about it, at least.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #895 on: February 23, 2012, 05:27:51 pm »

Nabu is a lover not a fighter. However I worry he underestimates how dangerous an office can be.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #896 on: February 23, 2012, 05:33:30 pm »

At this point changing minds is the most significant way I can affect for the better an environment in which I spend more than half my life. It's worth it to me, and it's perhaps the most positive impact I can make on the world. I have no children.

As for lover not a fighter, who knows. Maybe I could find a really cute guy up here who's into it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #897 on: February 23, 2012, 06:03:24 pm »

Nabu is a lover not a fighter. However I worry he underestimates how dangerous an office can be.

Yeah, an office is like swimming with sharks, or worse, dolphins.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #898 on: February 23, 2012, 07:39:24 pm »

I had another coworker come by to tell me he has my back, and also my boss' boss came by to say I was doing right. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #899 on: February 24, 2012, 12:14:07 am »

re: the other 'f' word/shit tony says:

i am guilty of referring to things as "faggy" from time to time.  theres a part of me that knows how cruel the word is.  i dont refer to people that way, but i still cant completely justify using a marginalizing word.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 143   Go Up