Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I shouldn't have to tell people not to hit me on the head nearly so often as I do.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 283356 times)

0 Members and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #900 on: February 24, 2012, 12:58:11 am »

I've never been big on the Fag word, I think because I came up in an all guys school and the people who dude use it were people I didn't like so although these days I'm more conscious of it being offensive I basically just would't want to sound like a damn Neanderthal.

Context is interesting because in contrast the N word is much less scary to me because it's not a slur you really get here, I may have heard it once or twice in anger in my life and even then it just sounds weird. I wouldn't feel weird about saying something like 'sup my niggas' when I'm joking around with my mates. I guess that might be insensitive but it's because that word for me is something you say if you're a gangster, not a racist hillbilly. And now I'm being prejudiced against racist hillbillies.

In contrast 'Abo' as in aboriginal kind of sounds more benign on the surface but is a piece of slang I would simply never use because I think it carries way to much hate-baggage.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #901 on: February 24, 2012, 03:50:51 am »

Good on everybody for at least being aware and working toward fixing it. The people I work with are careful about 'N' because you can't get away with that in a professional setting anymore (although I'm pretty sure it ends up in the ol' inbox) but it's shocking to me how casually they sling around some of the other shit. I'm ok with some use of fag/queer/homo as long as it's not used as a slur, because I basically identify to a certain extent as a member of that demographic.



Yeah, an office is like swimming with sharks, or worse, dolphins.

Paul with the sweet cross-thread callback! Let's say cans all around, shall we? Except for you last two can-having members of the ruling body. Eh, fuck it. If I don't give the ruling body cans they'll just take them.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #902 on: February 24, 2012, 04:35:34 am »

Yeah, I would never use a slur as a slur, and I would never use any of that stuff unless I identified with the group in question. I'll talk about crackers, for instance. I guess I try to err on the side of caution. When I talk about queers as a group, I'm cool with using that word to refer to the group. I can't imagine saying "you're my faggot" though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #903 on: February 24, 2012, 05:03:40 am »

Relevant story: shortly after my brother came out my dad (who had really freaked out about but to his credit was trying to have an honest conversation with his son) was trying to talk to him about it and in searching for an appropriate word settled on queer, because it was one my brother had used himself. However it caused little bro to I totally lose his shit, demand we stop the car etc. My brother being an overly dramatic adolescent aside it was an interesting demonstration of word 'ownership'.

Kind of related to that, I get uncomfortable when my brother refers to himself and his gay friends as queens, sluts and yes, fags. I'm sure there's some healthy middle class fear of Other in there but i also find it kind of degrading the way he says it, the subtext often being that he and his gay friends are only interested in sex and sex adjacent activities. Am I allowed to be offended by someone using a slur to denigrate themselves?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 05:08:29 am by Doc »
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #904 on: February 24, 2012, 05:21:31 am »

You can sure be uncomfortable about it - knock yourself out.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #905 on: February 24, 2012, 12:59:04 pm »

Wait, what? Is "queer" a slur anymore? I think of that as practically the literary term. I don't use it, but more because it seems pretentious. Don't we have "queer studies" at universities now?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #906 on: February 24, 2012, 01:12:10 pm »

Queer probably not so much (I think I'm hearkening back to "smear the queer" being played on the battlefields of my youth). Definitely when someone trots out "gay" and tries to pawn it off as happy, or "faggot" and tries bundle of sticks, I immediately put that person in the shithead category (or figure they haven't reached adolescence yet).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #907 on: February 24, 2012, 02:14:57 pm »

Queer probably not so much (I think I'm hearkening back to "smear the queer" being played on the battlefields of my youth). Definitely when someone trots out "gay" and tries to pawn it off as happy, or "faggot" and tries bundle of sticks, I immediately put that person in the shithead category (or figure they haven't reached adolescence yet).

Until I was like 13 I thought the word queer only had two definitions. 1. Odd. Used only in Bugs Bunny cartoons, etc. 2. Guy holding a football. Typically a tiny novelty football.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #908 on: February 24, 2012, 04:20:38 pm »

In the community I take part in, it seems the preferred thing these days nomoclature-wise is to use the LGBTQ or sometimes the more extensive LGBTTQ* acronym = Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Two-Spirited with the *= a cavet for "and otherwise identified, alligned or allied with" or something along those lines. 

The problem with using queer as a blanket term, as I see it, is that 1) many people within the community do not identifyl as queer themselves and 2) it can be taken sometimes too narrowly or too broadly or may simply not fit the identity people within the community prefer.  In a heternomative community, although sometimes used as a blanket term, if one is identified as "queer," it tends to be taken as stating one is sexually atttracted to members of the same sex, while within the LGBTQ community there are plenty of folks who are part of the community for gender-based reasons unrelated to their sexual orientation, or attracted to all genders or the opposite gender or into kink that is unrelated to gender.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #909 on: February 24, 2012, 04:26:19 pm »

Quote
Me: God, can I ask You a question?

God: Sure

Me: Promise You won't get mad
... ... ... ... ...
God: I promise

Me: Why did You let so much stuff happen to me today?

God: What do u mean?

Me: Well, I woke up late

God: Yes

Me: My car took forever to start

God: Okay

Me: at lunch they made my sandwich wrong & I had to wait

God: Huummm

Me: On the way home, my phone went DEAD, just as I picked up a call

God: All right

Me: And on top of it all off, when I got home ~I just want to soak my feet in my new foot massager & relax. BUT it wouldn't work!!! Nothing went right today! Why did You do that?

God: Let me see, the death angel was at your bed this morning & I had to send one
of My Angels to battle him for your life. I let you sleep through that

Me (humbled): OH

GOD: I didn't let your car start because there was a drunk driver on your route that would have hit you if you were on the road.

Me: (ashamed)

God: The first person who made your sandwich today was sick & I didn't want you to catch what they have, I knew you couldn't afford to miss work.

Me (embarrassed):Okay

God: Your phone went dead bcuz the person that was calling was going to give false witness about what you said on that call, I didn't even let you talk to them so you would be covered.

Me (softly): I see God

God: Oh and that foot massager, it had a shortage that was going to throw out all of the power in your house tonight. I didn't think you wanted to be in the dark.

Me: I'm Sorry God

God: Don't be sorry, just learn to Trust Me.... in All things , the Good & the bad.

Me: I will trust You.

God: And don't doubt that My plan for your day is Always Better than your plan.

Me: I won't God. And let me just tell you God, Thank You for Everything today.

God: You're welcome child. It was just another day being your God and I Love looking after My Children...

REPOST if you Believe in HIM ♥
Worth posting.

Hey God, what about me?  I was hit by a truck yesterday and now I'm paralyzed from the neck down. 

Oh yeah, sorry about that.  I was really busy all day constantly bailing out this one guy.

I should leave that as a comment, what do you think?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #910 on: February 24, 2012, 04:30:42 pm »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #911 on: February 24, 2012, 04:40:26 pm »

Hey God, what about me?  I was hit by a truck yesterday and now I'm paralyzed from the neck down. 

Oh yeah, sorry about that.  I was really busy all day constantly bailing out this one guy.

I should leave that as a comment, what do you think?

No, this is when I would look into the unfriend, ignore, block, etc. features.

Me: Hey God, why did you let my baby die from crib death?
God:  That kid was going to grow up to straight up kill you and go on a school massacre. 
Me:  Oh.
God:  Yeah. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #912 on: February 24, 2012, 05:03:37 pm »

Oh fuck wouldn't that be a nice little ball to get rolling.

Me: Why did you make my parents die in that car accident.
God: You said you wished they were dead. I took you at your word.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #913 on: February 24, 2012, 05:40:24 pm »

This is good stuff.

No, this is when I would look into the unfriend, ignore, block, etc. features.

Noooo, she's a sweet lady.  She just has ignorant ideas about God.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #914 on: February 24, 2012, 07:17:21 pm »

Queer probably not so much (I think I'm hearkening back to "smear the queer" being played on the battlefields of my youth). Definitely when someone trots out "gay" and tries to pawn it off as happy, or "faggot" and tries bundle of sticks, I immediately put that person in the shithead category (or figure they haven't reached adolescence yet).
When I was in 7th grade there was a Sikh kid named Shamir (Sha - meer).  Since I haven't read about him going on a killing spree, I'm assuming he became extremely resilient.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 143   Go Up