Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There’s no Day for apologizing to our parents for all the stupid shit we put them through. Perhaps because we never finish before they die.

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 283957 times)

0 Members and 41 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1155 on: June 27, 2012, 05:17:48 am »

Today, as I often do, I was sitting in the break room eating leftovers out of a tupperware container. We started talking about food, and it came out that all three of the people sitting in there with me think leftovers are disgusting. They just throw them out. I had noticed how often coworkers commented on the fact that I was eating leftovers, but never picked up that they had negative feelings about leftovers. I thought they were just impressed by my cooking ability! Or something.

Also, yesterday I waited on a customer with a Swastika on one arm, and the Israeli flag on the other. What?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1156 on: June 27, 2012, 05:43:48 am »

Today, as I often do, I was sitting in the break room eating leftovers out of a tupperware container. We started talking about food, and it came out that all three of the people sitting in there with me think leftovers are disgusting. They just throw them out. I had noticed how often coworkers commented on the fact that I was eating leftovers, but never picked up that they had negative feelings about leftovers. I thought they were just impressed by my cooking ability! Or something.

Also, yesterday I waited on a customer with a Swastika on one arm, and the Israeli flag on the other. What?

That's insane. Not the Israeli Nazi guy, well, he's probably insane too, but leftovers are awesome. It's insane to throw out good food just because you made too much.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1157 on: June 27, 2012, 05:54:25 am »

Your coworkers are tools. Leftovers can be awesome. They probably eat a lot of fast food in which case they are right, leftovers are disgusting.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1158 on: June 27, 2012, 12:55:09 pm »

I'm just going to pretend that Inev is trolling us and making up everything in that post, because I can't take it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Bobby Isosceles

  • Showbiz
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 23
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 244
  • LET US MAKE FLIPPER BABIES
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1159 on: June 27, 2012, 01:10:20 pm »

Also, yesterday I waited on a customer with a Swastika on one arm, and the Israeli flag on the other. What?

They're taking the symbol back, like rappers who say the N-word or women who Take Back the Night and shout the C-Word.

Or, perhaps, it was a backwards swastika and he was an Kabbalic Buddhist. You know, like Madonna, before she started doing Orange Catholic Zensunni Shai-Hulud Worship or whatever she is doing for attention.
Logged
i'm a gorilla, barbarians is my ancestors
it's part of my neurological transmitters

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1160 on: June 27, 2012, 01:20:14 pm »

in regards to financial status, i have been in various stages of barely comfortable my whole life.  "leftovers" is just a picky-people-word for food thats there for the next meal or tomorrow, even.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Online Online
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1161 on: June 27, 2012, 01:42:06 pm »

With the exceptions of chili and meatloaf my mom hates leftovers. So growing up she'd make a different meal ever night for dinner then on garbage night complain about all the food she had to throw away because none of us ate leftovers. If we pointed out there was a never an opportunity she'd say we should be eating them for lunches on weekends and as snacks.
Logged

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1162 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:14 pm »

People who throw away leftovers are what's wrong with America. What the HELL people.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1163 on: June 27, 2012, 03:08:39 pm »

Man, a lot of stuff is better once it's aged a day. 
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1164 on: June 27, 2012, 04:27:10 pm »

I like some things for leftovers (lasagna, meatloaf, fried chicken (like revenge, best served cold), etc.) but I don't like serving the same thing for dinner two nights in a row, and my spouse absolutely refuses to brown-bag his lunch for work. (He has issues.) I will sometimes eat leftovers for lunch, but I am kind of picky about what I'll eat the next day.

So, like a responsible person who doesn't waste food, I try to avoid having leftovers of most things. It is not hard to figure out how much your family eats and cook only that amount. I will make extra rice/pasta/veggies sometimes because those are easy to recycle into a different dish. (Leftover steamed rice + veggies + one beaten egg = veggie fried rice for lunch). And sometimes I plan for leftovers -- I'll roast a whole chicken, we'll eat half of it, and I'll shred the rest and serve it the following night as filling for chicken tacos, or stir it into a casserole, or make soup (with stock from the bones and fatty bits).

I don't just throw food away, though. I find a way to recycle it, or make damn sure I'm not cooking more than we can eat. That's just ludicrous.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1165 on: June 27, 2012, 08:35:16 pm »

I don't like to have the same thing for dinner two days in a row either, but you can skip a day, you know?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1166 on: June 27, 2012, 09:09:37 pm »

Yep! Or bring it for lunch. I am almost always happy to eat delicious mexican slop (carnitas mixed with salsa, beans, cheese, and rice) or soup or pasta instead of expensive sandwiches from work.

What is bizarre is that, generally, I know how much my coworkers make. They do not make enough to be cavalier about throwing out food. Weird. Whatever, I'm sure there is something that I spend tons of money on that they think is silly.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1167 on: June 28, 2012, 12:44:36 am »

I don't like to have the same thing for dinner two days in a row either, but you can skip a day, you know?

But that's a slippery slope. You could end up eating the same two meals for four days, or worse, the same three meals all week.

But like I said, I usually know pretty much how much we'll eat in a single sitting -- a pound of beef, chicken, or pork is just about right for me, Pedro, and Chaos Girl; Danger Boy doesn't eat meat. Side dishes are easy; half a cup of cooked pasta or rice and a cup of veggies per adult and half that for each kid.

The ratios work just fine in a stir-fry or pasta dish, too; if it has a creamy sauce I just cut out some of the meat. It's good for preventing leftovers and also for weight-loss related portion control -- you sort of have to stop eating when the food is gone. I plate our meals in the kitchen because I love a nice presentation, even for everyday dinners, and there's rarely enough for seconds.

Obviously when I cook for company I make more -- I cook enough food for a surprise last-minute guest to have a full plate -- but for regular weeknight cooking I've found that I can predict pretty much exactly how much food we will consume in a single sitting on a given night.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1168 on: June 29, 2012, 02:02:06 pm »

I almost never eat the same meal twice in one week, but I can deal with using the same components in different meals.  As for left overs, hubby can't eat them because he's typically on the road for work with no access to a fridge or the ablity to heat things up.

What is the best left over?  Lasagna is up there.  I'd say pizza is the best of the best though.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1169 on: June 29, 2012, 02:03:43 pm »

cold lamb chops and fried eggs: maybe the only thing better than bacon.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 143   Go Up