Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood If Twain were alive today, he would guffaw despite his benevolent befuddlement.

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 281891 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1290 on: September 29, 2012, 12:26:16 am »

I think I would take 4 years of this easy-ass job over high school any day of the week. But not for pile-of-book reasons. Although, you know, not having homework is great too.

So I guess: tell that kid if they drop out they won't ever have a cool job like mine.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:38:24 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1291 on: September 29, 2012, 05:37:21 am »

Today the roommate I don't get along with went on a long thing trying to explain to me that darker ##### are always more formal, so darker jeans will always be in style because they are more formal. The more I said "I don't care, I just like dark blue jeans" the more he tried to explain his weird theory.

This is the same guy who got mad at me for not owning a suit.

(he thinks he dresses really well. He doesn't.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1292 on: October 24, 2012, 07:27:43 am »

"that really nice gay couple asked where you were yesterday"
"who?"
"that really flamboyantly gay couple, those two guys? They come in every day at 6 in workout clothes?"
"They're a gay couple?"

I can't figure out why he thinks they are a gay couple.

The same guys recently asked why I moved to STL. I said, to go to WashU. They frowned and said, "you are underemployed." Not very flamboyant at all.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1293 on: October 25, 2012, 08:30:04 pm »

No, Mom, no. I do not think that it's "sleazy tactics" to have voter registration drives, even if the Democrats running them do target "young kids, students, and poor people." I do not think that helping people without transportation find a way to get to their polling places on election day constitutes "cheating." Everybody has as much right to vote as you do, a right which you did not even exercise in the last election in spite of the fact that you're a retired grandmother with literally nothing more important to do during the 12 hours the polls are open.

Now please, please stop asking me why I don't like talking politics with you.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1294 on: October 26, 2012, 05:59:07 am »

This woman on my neighborhood mailing list is demanding that there be a "democratic vote" about whether to make a nextdoor page. There already is one, that hundreds of people use, but she is attached to having an email mailing list and thinks it is going to be replaced by the website.

Quote
If every so often someone suggests that the group change their method and unilaterally implements a change and people wander gradually to a site without a group decision about which or what to do via a plebesite--there will be periodic duplification, redundancy and disorganization.  In this neighborhood decisions have generally been made at SNIA meetings.  Face to face.  With deliberation and a democratic decision making process.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1295 on: October 26, 2012, 02:55:03 pm »

This woman on my neighborhood mailing list is demanding that there be a "democratic vote" about whether to make a nextdoor page. There already is one, that hundreds of people use, but she is attached to having an email mailing list and thinks it is going to be replaced by the website.


Do you live in this neighborhood?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1296 on: October 26, 2012, 03:00:59 pm »

Do you live in this neighborhood?

When I was served the I came to America to escape socialism ad I was expecting something very different from that video.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1297 on: October 30, 2012, 07:17:09 pm »

I think I am issuing a personal moratorium on the word "offensive." You're offended? Cool. Please specify. Is the thing you dislike racist, sexist, misogynist, classist? Ablist, ageist? Or does it just bother you, and you think that your feelings are really important?

Complaining roommate announced to the room (for the 100th time) that St Louis usage of the word "Hoosier" to denote "redneck" offends him, as a person from Indiana. Finally, someone laughed in his face about this. "Dude, you must really like getting offended."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1298 on: October 30, 2012, 07:25:47 pm »

I think I am issuing a personal moratorium on the word "offensive." You're offended? Cool. Please specify. Is the thing you dislike racist, sexist, misogynist, classist? Ablist, ageist? Or does it just bother you, and you think that your feelings are really important?

Complaining roommate announced to the room (for the 100th time) that St Louis usage of the word "Hoosier" to denote "redneck" offends him, as a person from Indiana. Finally, someone laughed in his face about this. "Dude, you must really like getting offended."

It kind of depends on the audience, though. I mean, you'll get dudes who will get shirty about the word "cissexist" because it sounds pretentious to them but respond okay to "isn't that kind of offensive to trans people?" You also get people who will decide that using the word "racist" means you're accusing them of being literal Nazis but will tone shit down if you tell them what they're saying is offensive.

Of course in the other direction sometimes you just need to tell someone to quit being such a shitlord, so it goes all kinds of ways. It's all about the right word for the job.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1299 on: October 30, 2012, 07:46:13 pm »

St Louis usage of the word "Hoosier" to denote "redneck" offends him, as a person from Indiana.

Ha!  Definitely a St Louis thing.  First time the Mrs. called somebody a "hoosier" I was like, "But, what's so bad about being from Indiana?"

Don't even get me started about having to tell a joke when you trick or treat.  Crazy-assed St. Louis natives.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1300 on: October 30, 2012, 08:07:35 pm »

Quote
"isn't that kind of offensive to trans people?"
OK, I guess what I meant is, I do not like when people use "offensive" without further explanation.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Ben-San

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 164
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1259
  • Two-Fisted Detective
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1301 on: October 30, 2012, 09:39:18 pm »

OK, I guess what I meant is, I do not like when people use "offensive" without further explanation.

Yeah, it's definitely a thing of "the right word for the job". It's also a word that's really easy for people to co-opt because you can use it to mean "the thing you are saying is hurtful to or trades on premises that are hurtful to a non-privileged population" or you can use it to mean "the thing you are saying annoys me" and assholes in particular will sort of figure them to be interchangeable. Kind of like the difference between using "depressed" to mean "has brain problems" and "not in a great mood". Demanding clarification is indeed a pretty good start on sorting out which meaning the person is actually using.

Sorry if I came off a little short there or anything.
Logged

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1302 on: October 30, 2012, 10:02:32 pm »

Wait, people say "hoosier"? It's not just a plot-point in Cat's Cradle?
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1303 on: October 30, 2012, 10:03:02 pm »

Sorry if I came off a little short there or anything.
What, you been taking the new height-reduction therapy?
I find that offensive.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1304 on: October 31, 2012, 01:11:09 am »

Wait, people say "hoosier"? It's not just a plot-point in Cat's Cradle?

People in St Louis use it to mean "low person".  People in Indiana and neighboring areas use it to mean "person from Indiana".   Since a big hunk of Southern Indiana is in the Louisville TV market, we've been hearing it a lot lately in political ads.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 143   Go Up