Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
that there is no way to put a picture of a pug in the News Box?

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 283124 times)

0 Members and 45 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1620 on: August 01, 2013, 06:02:22 pm »

I got so mad that I was shaking. This man wasn't saying "the economic model of fast food chains won't support a raise," which I could understand if not agree with. But he said "if these people have no avenue to better themselves, they should take whatever we'll give them. They don't have the right to ask for more."

If I had been a little less angry maybe I would have pointed out that he is in a union (he works on the light rail line) and gets paid twice the minimum wage because SOMEONE stood up and demanded it. Then again, if I had been less angry I probably would have ignored the initial comment that started the discussion.

If I was a little more angry I would have made a disparaging comment about how I'm sure taking tickets on the train is so, so much harder than working at McDonald's.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1621 on: August 01, 2013, 06:46:45 pm »

My dad talks sometimes about the time he did that at a job he had when I was a newborn. He said he thinks about it a lot, because threatening to quit because they aren't giving you enough good work when you have an unemployed wife and a newborn kid is pretty dumb. And yet if he hadn't done that, he wouldn't have started down the path he ended up on. Risk. Interesting.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1622 on: August 01, 2013, 07:52:36 pm »

I got so mad that I was shaking. This man wasn't saying "the economic model of fast food chains won't support a raise," which I could understand if not agree with. But he said "if these people have no avenue to better themselves, they should take whatever we'll give them. They don't have the right to ask for more."

If I had been a little less angry maybe I would have pointed out that he is in a union (he works on the light rail line) and gets paid twice the minimum wage because SOMEONE stood up and demanded it. Then again, if I had been less angry I probably would have ignored the initial comment that started the discussion.

If I was a little more angry I would have made a disparaging comment about how I'm sure taking tickets on the train is so, so much harder than working at McDonald's.

I have a lot to say about this, but don't have the time to type it all out. I don't agree with your customer, but I don't agree with you either.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1623 on: August 01, 2013, 09:55:50 pm »

I got so mad that I was shaking. This man wasn't saying "the economic model of fast food chains won't support a raise," which I could understand if not agree with. But he said "if these people have no avenue to better themselves, they should take whatever we'll give them. They don't have the right to ask for more."

If I had been a little less angry maybe I would have pointed out that he is in a union (he works on the light rail line) and gets paid twice the minimum wage because SOMEONE stood up and demanded it. Then again, if I had been less angry I probably would have ignored the initial comment that started the discussion.

If I was a little more angry I would have made a disparaging comment about how I'm sure taking tickets on the train is so, so much harder than working at McDonald's.

I do agree that "the economic model of fast food chains won't support a raise" is a valid statement. If you raise the wages it will raise the prices which will effect a huge segment of the customer base including many of the people who would benefit from the raises. But what would really happen is actually spelled out in the article you linked to. "Industry officials say a $15 wage might drive many restaurants out of business and cause restaurant owners to hire fewer workers and replace some with automation — perhaps by using more computerized gadgets where customers punch in the orders themselves." This is going to happen eventually anyway. The only thing holding it back is the cost of capital improvements and the fear of customer backlash. We're just now getting used to the idea that we have to check and back our own damn groceries. But if labor pushes the issue it will happen much more quickly and poof, there goes a million jobs gone forever.

As for the guy taking tickets for the train getting a living wage. Well it's more difficult to pinpoint how this effects the bottom line. Public transportation is subsidized by the city government and is probably losing money. If McDonald's were running the trains they would eliminate his job and replace him with an automated teller, but the union and lack of money for capital improvements is probably preventing the city from taking such an action.

Bottom line is "if these people have no avenue to better themselves, they should take whatever we'll give them. They don't have the right to ask for more" is a terrible attitude, especially when you are fortunate enough to have escaped that fate despite the fact that your job requires such little skill. And I would love to see all people paid a living wage, but when you are in serious danger of losing your job to a ***** you probably shouldn't complain too loudly.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1624 on: August 13, 2013, 07:20:40 am »

My friends are really into saying things about how if I am just doing this job to save money for grad school I can "probably" find something better. OH OKAY, POINT ME AT THAT JOB LISTING. OH WAIT, YOU HAVEN'T SPENT MANY HOURS EVERY WEEK LOOKING AT AND APPLYING TO JOB LISTINGS? WHOA, THAT'S FUNNY, BECAUSE I fuck*ng HAVE.


And I'm not talking about some bozo. I'm talking about my roommates. Who see me sitting at my desk on my day off looking at job listings.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:10:36 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1625 on: August 26, 2013, 11:39:33 am »

hey, funny timing. I was talking on here yesterday about my fiction writing class. One day a girl in class asked what my favorite band was, or what a band was I played on my radio show, or something. I said Pavement. Then she wrote a story where the hipster character talked about loving Pavement, and during class she explained that Dan said no one had heard of Pavement. WHICH WASN'T WHAT SHE ASKED ME. My cool writing teacher looked at me like I was such a jackass, and the snotty guy who always tried to call me out on being a hipster said "EVERYONE HAS HEARD OF PAVEMENT."
Now, 4 years later, she just posted on my facebook wall about the time I told her no one has heard of pavement. What. Stop.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1626 on: August 26, 2013, 06:12:54 pm »

Even I've heard of Pavement, Dan. Geez!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1627 on: August 26, 2013, 10:02:36 pm »

Wow, even *I* have heard of Pavement.

What a tool that girl is.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1628 on: August 27, 2013, 01:56:39 am »

well, you guys were considerably older than that girl when Pavement were in their heyday. Still, just so uncomfortable. People in that class were already weird and aggressive about my preferences before she did that.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1629 on: September 08, 2013, 03:53:44 pm »

This twitter guy who is a St Louis democratic partisan (this should tell you something right away-- literally only one person who is not a democrat has won an election in this city in 50 years) won't stop talking about how obviously going to Syria is wrong, but it pisses him off that Republicans are fighting Obama about it. "This is what I hate about politics."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1630 on: September 09, 2013, 02:29:39 am »

Quote
Topic: PHONE TAKEN DONT KNOW THE LADY

I was sitting on my porch this evening around 7:45 at which time I heard a women screaming then she came up this way asked did I have a phone I called 911 then a group of boys came telling her don't call police but I did it happened around shaw store they have cameras also the police a women and man very rude I was trying to tell them about the 1 boy who was one of the phone thief s from last month I will turn it overto the captain at meeting tomorrow thanks
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1631 on: October 09, 2013, 08:58:04 pm »

this nonsense keeps popping up on Facebook.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1632 on: October 09, 2013, 10:11:59 pm »

wtf, water doesn't have DNA, proteins, fats, etc. It's water.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1633 on: October 09, 2013, 10:47:28 pm »

...wraps it in fat cells?
Well it sure sounds scientifikal.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1634 on: October 09, 2013, 11:46:01 pm »

"Microwaves agitate the molecules to move faster and faster." Uh, yeah, because isn't that what happens when something gets hot?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 143   Go Up