Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

What we need more of is science.

Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 282076 times)

0 Members and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1740 on: December 27, 2013, 10:32:56 pm »

Nice one. Apparently it's incumbent on you to prove a negative.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1741 on: December 28, 2013, 01:00:30 am »

I could attempt to explain it to you, but I'm certain you wouldn't understand.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1742 on: December 28, 2013, 08:19:06 pm »

I can explain it for you in one word: Drugs.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1743 on: December 29, 2013, 12:33:20 am »

I can explain it for you in one word: Drugs.

Well yes, that explains why they think it's true, certainly.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1744 on: December 29, 2013, 02:28:28 am »

There's a story circulating about a Athiest coming to the rescue of a family after being turned away by Christians.

This story pisses me off because it is misrepresenting the facts so badly. But so many of my left leaning atheist friends are posting it on Facebook with comments which all amount to so much as 'see I told you so.'

Clearly there was a misunderstanding at the Church, but given the fact that they have since bent over backwards to try and make things right is at least some indication of their intent. And as for the atheist saving the day. if this is not a case of opportunism masked as altruism with the sole purpose of making this church look bad then I don't know what is. It should be noted that he Church was set up to help many families and the Atheist only helped one.

Perhaps the headline should read "Atheist use case of incident involving an overly sensitive woman and uptight Church volunteers to make Christianity look bad."
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1745 on: December 29, 2013, 12:02:28 pm »

But if you are happy with the amount of drugs you have you will run out of drugs.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1746 on: January 06, 2014, 07:48:06 pm »

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1747 on: January 06, 2014, 09:34:06 pm »

He's also the all-time leader in being hit by pitches.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1748 on: January 06, 2014, 11:24:31 pm »

He's also the all-time leader in being hit by pitches.

That stat is on there. What's not is his RBI's. Sure, he got more hits that Babe Ruth (not an apples to apples comparison by any measure), but he had half the RBI's. So I guess he was really good at getting hits when nobody was on base.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1749 on: January 06, 2014, 11:25:32 pm »

Someone needs to tell the Astros to Hove some dignity.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1750 on: January 06, 2014, 11:38:19 pm »

So I guess he was really good at getting hits when nobody was on base.
That is kind of interesting, isn't it?  When a pitcher has to throw from the stretch because he's trying to keep baserunners honest, you would think that helps the batter.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1751 on: January 07, 2014, 01:53:23 pm »

Well, he hit leadoff a lot, didn't he? That means it was his job to get on base so other people could drive him in. If he's coming up after the 8-9 hitters he probably didn't get as many chances with guys on base.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1752 on: January 07, 2014, 02:15:11 pm »

Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm ok with that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1753 on: January 07, 2014, 02:17:00 pm »

Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1754 on: January 07, 2014, 06:26:52 pm »

That stat is on there. What's not is his RBI's. Sure, he got more hits that Babe Ruth (not an apples to apples comparison by any measure), but he had half the RBI's. So I guess he was really good at getting hits when nobody was on base.
Wait, you guys are crapping on Craig Biggio? Why come?

--So I guess he was really good at getting hits when nobody was on base.
He was better with runners on .273/.353/.435 with bases empty. .296/.381/.430 with runners on. As Carlos mentioned, he hit leadoff a lot (6979 of his almost 10876 ABs were from the number 1 spot in the order). And, while he had respectable power, his game was mostly about getting on base.

--(plus a big fat playoff wad shooting loser, .234 AVG/54 OPS+)
185 plate appearances. Small sample size blues.

--(plus Enron/Minutemaid field conflated his stats for his declining last eight years and kept him in the game long enough to accrue the fancy counting stats. His OPS+ for those last eight years is a sub-average 95. Up to his age 33 year he was an exceptional 124 OPS+ player. In his last eight years he maxed at 3.2 WAR and averaged 1.1 WAR. He was a piss-poor player for eight full seasons, kept in the game by a weird and favourable home stadium and stupid assed Killer B sentimentality. )

OPS is a kind of lousy stat because it places SLG on equal terms with OBP, when OBP is far more important. His RC+ was average or above average for 5 of his last 8 years, and that accounts for park factor. According to fWAR, his overall play was at or above league average for three of those last 8 years. He wasn't below replacement level (which is what would get him out of the league) until his last year. At the conclusion of which he was...out of the league. He was an above average base runner with 32 base running runs above average over his career.

His career wRC+ is 115--same as Ryne Sandberg. He had a perfectly respectable (for a HOFer) 4 year peak of 6.7 fWAR per year (1995-1998) and a monster season under his belt in 1997. He's over the 60 WAR threshold in both fWAR and rWAR. I don't see what's not to like unless you think he was a juicer or have a bias against "grindy" white guys.



« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 06:50:53 pm by JorgeFabregas »
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 143   Go Up