Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

How Does He Smell?

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 281747 times)

0 Members and 46 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1830 on: April 12, 2014, 12:19:37 am »

Okay, so a FB friend posted this article and this one annoys me. I 100% support people anywhere on the gender spectrum. I also refuse to accept calling people "ladies" is offensive.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1831 on: April 14, 2014, 01:41:10 pm »

It wouldn't be too hard to find women who would be offended at being called "guys."
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1832 on: April 14, 2014, 02:17:20 pm »

Okay, so a FB friend posted this article and this one annoys me. I 100% support people anywhere on the gender spectrum. I also refuse to accept calling people "ladies" is offensive.

Meh, I've heard that definitely used in an offensiveish way.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1833 on: April 14, 2014, 02:19:09 pm »

You can use almost any word in an offensive way with the right tone of voice, though. I mean, maybe people need to pick their battles?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1834 on: April 14, 2014, 03:08:22 pm »

I remember when lady was the most respectable term to use.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1835 on: April 14, 2014, 04:52:10 pm »

Okay, so a FB friend posted this article and this one annoys me. I 100% support people anywhere on the gender spectrum. I also refuse to accept calling people "ladies" is offensive.

IIRC when I last had an AP stylebook (ca. 2000) it said to avoid "lady" and "ladies" as they're often read as condescending or sarcastic.
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1836 on: April 14, 2014, 05:07:29 pm »

Glavin.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1837 on: April 14, 2014, 05:33:38 pm »

The only unambiguously offensive use (other than as Wombat described) is when you call a group of men ladies to criticize some sort of performance.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1838 on: April 23, 2014, 04:11:11 am »

Posted to Facebook by the wife of an old flame:

Quote
Speed Challenge: Nicholas Sparks lover here at the library.... What should I read????.....Go!

Hesitated for juuuust long enough to keep myself from posting, "Asimov." But I bet someone here has a much funnier quip.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1839 on: April 23, 2014, 01:21:29 pm »

One of my hyper-conservative in-laws posted a link to FB this morning about two city councilmen in New Hampshire who refused to participate in the Pledge of Allegiance, newly added to their meetings, because they said it was politically motivated and an empty gesture. His comment: "They should be shot dead."

So Rancher Bundy, standing on his beliefs (which just happen to involve him avoiding paying the federal government a million dollars) is an American hero, worth starting an armed confrontation with federal agents over.
These guys, acting well within their rights, regarding a bunch of words that ultimately effect no one whether they say them or not, they're traitors and should be killed.

Because freedom?

I don't understand this fuck*ng country sometimes.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1840 on: April 23, 2014, 03:27:27 pm »

Noted about another one of my far-right in-laws on FB: checked his page and he gets ZERO likes on the vast majority of the apeshit things he posts. He has 500+ FB friends and apparently none of them publicly agree with him. That should be telling him something (if nothing else, that a lot of them have probably unfollowed him).
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1841 on: April 23, 2014, 06:16:34 pm »

I've never heard of Nicolas Sparks, but based on the context of the comments in this thread I'm assuming he sucks at writing.

That should be telling him something (if nothing else, that a lot of them have probably unfollowed him).

I unfollowed 3 more people today. FB is getting better all the time.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1842 on: April 23, 2014, 08:07:49 pm »

After a sever brain bleed my grandpa was kind out of it. The doctors were giving him the routine questions like "Where are you?" "What year is it?" And he was cool with all that. They asked him where he met his wife, and even then he was able to tell their whole story. Then right after, he went right into explaining how he couldn't talk anymore because he had to get back on deck to help rescue people from the malaysian airlines crash. He was aiding the navigator. Troubling, yes, but at least he wasn't thinking about the brain surgery he just had.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1843 on: April 23, 2014, 09:20:53 pm »

He has 500+ FB friends and apparently none of them publicly agree with him. That should be telling him something (if nothing else, that a lot of them have probably unfollowed him).
Or that they are technologically illiterate and don't understand the like button function.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1844 on: April 23, 2014, 10:11:59 pm »

AC, you're alive. I was sure you had been kidnapped by a drug cartel down in Juarez.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 143   Go Up