Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

RT@achewood Surprising fact: wearing clothes burns 12 more calories per day than nudity.

Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 282847 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1965 on: June 24, 2015, 06:02:17 pm »

Whatever else I have to say about New Jersey, I really like the shape of the state.  Suddenly occurs to me that my favorite state shape being an hourglass is not too subtle.

Today at work I am doing data entry, IE looking through another city department's database and re-typing the information into a spreadsheet. It is pretty obvious to me that I am not capturing the most useful data, but nobody seemed interested in my thoughts about that. Also, obviously there must be a better way to re-organize this data without some unpaid idiot re-typing it.

(Did find a building permit submitted under a really funny architect's name, though. Funny enough that I had to step away from the computer because I couldn't stop laughing and people were staring. I will not post it here because that is how you start a Chain of Events.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 06:26:29 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1966 on: June 26, 2015, 11:22:28 pm »

TL:DR (in this case the DR is "don't read") of certain segments of my facebook/twitter feeds right now is "sure, a good thing happened that is making millions of people happy, but did you know that there are still bad things, and also here are 10 reasons that the good thing isn't good."

I believe, kind of, that we need people who are never satisfied and push for change. But damn if they aren't a pain in the ass that I want to shut the fuck up once in a while. Like, for one day.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1967 on: June 26, 2015, 11:50:04 pm »

I think that the people who don't know how to stop and be happy for a moment at a success, in fact are not the people who are going to achieve change. So feel free to want them to shut the fuck up. There's a time and a place for "never satisfied" and this isn't it.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1968 on: June 27, 2015, 05:24:49 pm »

TL:DR (in this case the DR is "don't read") of certain segments of my facebook/twitter feeds right now is "sure, a good thing happened that is making millions of people happy, but did you know that there are still bad things, and also here are 10 reasons that the good thing isn't good."

I believe, kind of, that we need people who are never satisfied and push for change. But damn if they aren't a pain in the ass that I want to shut the fuck up once in a while. Like, for one day.

If you look for a reason to be unhappy, you'll always find one.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1969 on: June 29, 2015, 08:29:18 am »

I thought that about Sandy Hook.

Yeah, it's probably just me.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1970 on: June 30, 2015, 01:53:43 pm »

TL:DR (in this case the DR is "don't read") of certain segments of my facebook/twitter feeds right now is "sure, a good thing happened that is making millions of people happy, but did you know that there are still bad things, and also here are 10 reasons that the good thing isn't good."

That's a variation on one of the big problems of the Democratic party and liberalism in general. Conservatives are good at unifying the message and supporting things across the board. Liberals have a tendency to say "But what about MY thing that I care about?" The reaction to Patricia Arquette's Oscar speech is a prime example--yeah, maybe she wasn't as inclusive as she could have been, but be glad she used the platform for something positive rather than saying she's not good enough.

There will always be another day to fight another battle. But you're right, enjoy this good thing that happened right now.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1971 on: July 24, 2015, 09:05:56 am »

I had a weird dream that some social scientists blew the lid off the whole Gun issue. They did a study and had a finding that let us all understand each other and sing kum-bay-aaa about how we all want a great world and just pursue it in different ways. Then the further I read the paper the more they qualified it until the conclusion was "I guess we don't know anything, about this or people in general."

Falling asleep after one of my few friends in NJ came over for icecream at my place, I reflected on my friendships with women. My half-asleep brain decided "when it comes to my relationships with women, I'm one twisted sister" and I woke up because I laughed out loud.

This woman on OkCupid thought it would be a cute opener to tell me she had to google what "misanthropic" meant after reading my profile. This made me feel _____.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1972 on: August 09, 2015, 11:08:21 pm »

Okay, I gotta vent!

My parents next door neighbor posted this picture on Facebook.



My appropriate response...

Quote
What's really sad is someone Photoshopping a photograph to make the President look bad because they don't have anything legitimate to criticize him on. Saddest of all though are the people who propagate this nonsense because they hate the President so much they've lost the power to reason.

Ah, I see they've also photoshopped in a clock showing 3:00. So this is about Benghazi. That's perfect. A fake photo for a fake scandal.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/phone.asp

But I can't post that so I deleted it. This guy, he's a really great guy and he's been a huge help to my parents, especially since my dad had a stroke. I am grateful to him for his ongoing help so I just can't. But it's really bugging me because I want to call him out for being a ding a ling. Anybody have any helpful advice?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1973 on: August 10, 2015, 01:20:49 am »

Sometimes you just need to step away from the internet. This is one of those times. That's all there is to it.

Also, you know you can hide him from your feed without unfriending him, right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1974 on: August 10, 2015, 07:12:05 pm »

Yeah, sure I know I can unfollow him, that's kinda my stock in trade for people like him. He's posted bs political stuff before, but this is the first one that was unfollow worthy. He shall be unfollowed.

Probably gonna have to unfollow a bunch of people now that election season is approaching.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1975 on: August 30, 2015, 04:15:42 pm »

Update on my crazy roommate: her BF (who she has been dating for only a few months, long distance) is buying a house. She has managed to turn this into "we are buying a house" and is confused about why he got mad at her for calling the realtor. Although obviously this is on him, too, because how complicated and confusing can it be if you say "this is not your house, it is my house, don't interfere in my shit."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1976 on: September 04, 2015, 07:49:34 pm »

Update on my crazy roommate: her BF (who she has been dating for only a few months, long distance) is buying a house. She has managed to turn this into "we are buying a house" and is confused about why he got mad at her for calling the realtor. Although obviously this is on him, too, because how complicated and confusing can it be if you say "this is not your house, it is my house, don't interfere in my shit."

How heartbreaking it must be to want something and find it unobtainable.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1977 on: September 06, 2015, 10:56:20 pm »

Update on my crazy roommate: her BF (who she has been dating for only a few months, long distance) is buying a house. She has managed to turn this into "we are buying a house" and is confused about why he got mad at her for calling the realtor. Although obviously this is on him, too, because how complicated and confusing can it be if you say "this is not your house, it is my house, don't interfere in my shit."

This is not your beautiful house!

You are not my beautiful wife!
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1978 on: September 06, 2015, 11:47:35 pm »

But it is our beautiful Victoria!
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1979 on: September 09, 2015, 04:51:17 am »

I have started typing variations on telling this long story so many times and basically...

Some weird part of me hopes this annoying fucker from my program does not drop out of my life, because he is an incredible illustration of how you can be really smart but a little too cynical and become part of the problem in a major way. Becoming this guy is one of my nightmare outcomes.

Frankly he might be smarter than me, or at least a clearer and more organized thinker. But if I get to the point of "everyone in this field is a wanker with a savior complex, therefore I give up on ever engaging with the real world in any meaningful way" I hope someone is as rude to me as I want to be to this guy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 143   Go Up