Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The Dude abides.

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 283950 times)

0 Members and 39 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1995 on: September 24, 2015, 03:45:22 pm »

Well, she is 28, so. Somewhere in there.

It's weird because initially I thought we were kidding (about wanting to be considered young) but then she just kept going.

Other recent gems: we got in an argument about whether microwaves can hurt you and/or pregnant women's babies.

I brought up something from class about how more women entering different professions decreased the supply of women trying to be teachers and maybe decreased teacher quality. She reacted to this in an extremely condescending tone as if I had said "huh I never knew women's job opportunities were limited in previous generations."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1996 on: September 28, 2015, 07:45:47 pm »

Well, she is 28, so. Somewhere in there.

It's weird because initially I thought we were kidding (about wanting to be considered young) but then she just kept going.

Other recent gems: we got in an argument about whether microwaves can hurt you and/or pregnant women's babies.
Well, sure, if you crawl inside the oven when its running.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1997 on: September 30, 2015, 07:53:43 am »

Despite assigning us hundreds of pages of reading about how ineffective Community Development Corporations are, and how the things that came before were largely worse, the professor was still surprised when someone in class asked "why are we still doing this stuff if it never works and often makes things worse?"

I like this guy a lot, because I trust people who tell me in intelligent terms how screwed up things are. But I would like to feel like there are good things happening, somewhere. Maybe we just haven't gotten to that part of the class yet. Haha.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1998 on: October 02, 2015, 05:01:33 am »

Woman who is leading one of my classes (each semester our second year we have to take one project class where we do pro-bono work for a local town) is driving me nuts. She is really micromanagey but then has attitude about how we are not "taking ownership" of our roles.

Today this: she told me to try to get in touch with developers in the town, and gave me a contact to ask about who I should talk to. I ran into her this morning and she asked and I said I hadn't gotten a response yet. So she went ahead and emailed this nice woman saying "Dan told me you hadn't gotten back to him yet." Yeeesh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #1999 on: October 03, 2015, 07:17:45 pm »

Is it bad form to have this kind of thing in a shared document for this project?

Quote
C. Affordable housing/apartment development sources.
    1. Aging in Place (AARP study 2011), help senior residents who are retiring to stay in town/downsize.
    2. Articles about “millennials” needing cheap housing, not buying homes.
    3. Articles about how poor people are actual humans who deserve a home in your shitty town, assholes
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2000 on: October 03, 2015, 07:59:24 pm »

It depends on the people you are sharing with, I guess.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2001 on: October 03, 2015, 09:44:48 pm »

Just the woman who's on my "team." I will change it though. It takes very little for me to feel the thrill of rebellion.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2002 on: October 13, 2015, 11:25:19 pm »

My racist, homophobic cousin has asked me to like the Facebook Page for his business. I don't think in good conscious I can like that page. Look at that logo, it's a crime against graphic design.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2003 on: October 21, 2015, 05:43:39 am »

Friend was talking today about this rude, awful doctor who told her that if both of her parents were drug addicts and she has mental health problems, she should absolutely not use drugs or drink. everyone was sympathizing about how mean/rude/unhelpful that is.

uh...?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2004 on: January 23, 2016, 06:07:33 pm »

Classmate posted this:

with the caption "the bridge I cross to get to school every day in New Jersey."

No, that is a weird canal-side berm (is that the right word?) that is parallel to the river. The bridge you cross is the big concrete and metal thing behind you when you took this picture. What??
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2005 on: January 23, 2016, 11:17:56 pm »

Friend was talking today about this rude, awful doctor who told her that if both of her parents were drug addicts and she has mental health problems, she should absolutely not use drugs or drink. everyone was sympathizing about how mean/rude/unhelpful that is.

uh...?

Because giving good, possibly life saving advice is the rudest of the rude.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2006 on: January 23, 2016, 11:21:01 pm »

"the bridge I cross to get to school every day in New Jersey."

I can see how that could possibly be mistaken for a bridge. I guess it's too much though that a student in a city planning masters program would know the difference.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2007 on: January 24, 2016, 12:50:42 am »

well, mostly, it bugs me because that "bridge" doesn't go anywhere. It connects one part of a park to another part. I can't figure out how he could use that thing to get to school.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2008 on: January 24, 2016, 02:50:27 am »

So you think he's lying?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2009 on: January 24, 2016, 03:10:57 am »

I think he is posting a picture of this thing and saying he walks on it every day to get facebook likes.

But English is not his first language, so maybe I am just being a dick.

I guess it's also possible he takes it just for fun, then loops around to school.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 143   Go Up