Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Man Pat you don't gotta talk to me like they teach you in that class for people with too much anger.

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 283828 times)

0 Members and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2055 on: May 29, 2016, 08:32:36 pm »

My dad shared this meme on Facebook yesterday. Long story short, I called him a jerk, my sister told me off then we both deleted our comments. So I called my dad to apologize. I kinda had hoped that by apologizing for calling him a jerk he would at least admit that yeah, it was a jerky thing to post, but he didn't see it that way. PS, they're throwing their hat in with Trump. *Sigh*

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2056 on: May 30, 2016, 01:10:04 am »

The other day this woman I knew from my job in St Louis posted this bizarre meme about how people need to learn to talk less. It listed times when it's not worth talking and you should keep it to yourself-- talking about your problems, talking about your relationships, talking about your accomplishments, and a whole lot of other ones.

This woman is a singer-songwriter. I have not heard her music but now I'm wondering what she sings about. Maybe it's all like "Party in the USA."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2057 on: May 30, 2016, 04:24:41 am »

The other day this woman I knew from my job in St Louis posted this bizarre meme about how people need to learn to talk less. It listed times when it's not worth talking and you should keep it to yourself-- talking about your problems, talking about your relationships, talking about your accomplishments, and a whole lot of other ones.

This woman is a singer-songwriter. I have not heard her music but now I'm wondering what she sings about. Maybe it's all like "Party in the USA."

Well I definitely shouldn't call my dad on his bullshit because clearly it's not having the desired effect of making him reconsider his opinions. Truth is, I keep doing it because I'm embarrassed by many of his deeply held beliefs and I even have to question his intellect, especially if he's supporting Trump now.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2058 on: May 30, 2016, 04:21:04 pm »

I guess I should count my blessings that my family are only sending me pro-hillary/anti-bernie memes.

When they were here for graduation I was really struck by the weird balance in my family: all people who love antagonizing each other but can't take the heat when it's their turn.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2059 on: June 21, 2016, 09:35:53 pm »

I don't know much about China, or even what era Confucius lived in, but I am pretty sure he didn't say "Find a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life." Thanks, Rutgers Career Services.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2060 on: June 21, 2016, 10:28:00 pm »

Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2061 on: June 21, 2016, 10:46:44 pm »

One hint is that people in pre-modern times did not really "find a job"
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2062 on: June 21, 2016, 10:55:43 pm »

Ugh. Great research skills you are demonstrating to the students, Rutgers Career Services. And that's not even getting started on whether that is actually a useful piece of advice.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2063 on: June 22, 2016, 03:47:56 am »

To bring things full circle, my bad roommate works there.

(also the good roommate, but I can't hold this against her.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2064 on: June 22, 2016, 05:36:47 pm »

This is probably sibling-universal, but my sister still has a major chip on her shoulder about me being "condescending" to her when I was 18 and she was 10.

Things she does not believe me about this week:
- we should get to the airport at LEAST 2 hours early for our flight to Italy, if not three
- reinstalling the OS from scratch after backing up her files could probably help her glitchy and slow computer
- no, I really would not care about/respect Kim Kardashian if I were a woman, even a 20 year old one
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2065 on: June 22, 2016, 06:36:59 pm »

Hmm, that is a tough one, because couldn't you define "condescending" basically as talking to someone like they're a ten year old?

I've always gotten to the airport three hours early for Japan. And that was before all the news that's been going around about long security lines this summer.

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2066 on: June 22, 2016, 06:55:41 pm »

(updated: she is leaving work at a time that should get her to the airport 2-3 hours earlier depending on what travel time we trust)

It does not help that 20 years old is an age where she knows a lot about some things, and then will surprise me by not knowing how to cut an onion. I definitely did not know how to cut an onion when I was 20, but she bakes really complicated stuff, so I assumed she knew basic cooking skills.

But I think in general I struggle with the correct tone when I'm not sure whether someone knows something or not.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 07:17:25 pm by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2067 on: June 27, 2016, 04:36:44 am »

A lot of people are making a lot of really good points in this thread. I'm just happy the board is back up. Cans for everybody.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2068 on: June 27, 2016, 03:33:17 pm »

Update: she made it on time. Barely. I was basically shitting myself and then she breezed up and said she couldn't believe I was so worried. Later she divulged that basically everything went wrong on her trip and she made it by the skin of her teeth.

Shit my family says: all of it. I just need them to all chill. It's vacation. They do this one thing that I know is coming from a caring place where they constantly ask me negative questions. "Wasn't your dinner too small? Are you still hungry? Are you disappointed, should you have ordered something else?" It's bizarre. I am trying to enjoy myself and relax and they want me to complain.
But overall, trip rules so far.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2069 on: August 16, 2016, 02:39:15 pm »

I have always felt immature teen-level frustration about my family members "that isn't art!" comments in art museums. But now that I have what I thought I wanted it feels maybe worse. My mom looks at a weird painting and says "hmm, I don't think I get this one. I guess I just don't know much about art."
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 143   Go Up