Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 282107 times)

0 Members and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2085 on: September 01, 2016, 03:49:44 am »

(We both spelled his name wrong?  It's Evel Knievel?)

When I first came to live in Houston (age 7) there were billboards everywhere announcing a big jump in the Astrodome by Evel Knievel. I was just begining to master reading at that age and that name perplexed me. Finally I asked my dad "Is his name Evel (rhymes with level)." He said he didn't know.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2086 on: September 01, 2016, 05:10:08 pm »

It's in Berkeley. I want to live there but no way.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2087 on: September 01, 2016, 07:57:22 pm »

There really aren't any homeless in Berkeley, they're just East Coasters who couldn't recover from the culture and sticker shock.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 03:03:59 pm by jaydub »
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

KeithHernandez

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1014
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3209
  • I am, again, Keith Hernandez
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2088 on: September 02, 2016, 07:39:26 am »

Damn, I think he's saying you couldn't handle the best coast and its best to just stay in philly.

Cold jay dub, cold.
Logged
You say one day soon we will all stand as brothers, 'til then I guess we'll just stand around.

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2089 on: September 04, 2016, 10:41:37 am »

Given the choice between Philly and Berkley I think I'd probably choose Berkley, but neither of those places sounds appealing to me. Maybe when I was younger.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2090 on: September 05, 2016, 05:38:18 pm »

Not-my-boss was given access to all of our google docs and has put a bunch of comments on my stuff. Right now I'm working on a 2-page handout for the partici##### in a community meeting. In one line I said something like "when problems arise in the neighborhood, community members should try to agree on goals before making a plan of action." She highlighted it and wrote that I need to explain how to do that.

Am I overthinking this? If I knew how people could decide on shared goals and plans of action, I would not be a part-time research assistant. There are entire fields that study that. And isn't that kind of the point of having a community meeting? For people to discuss the issue and then make decisions together? Does she want me to list "they could vote, or reach consensus, or a leader could decide, or they could draw lots, or they could vote for a leader to decide, or they could engage in combat until a victor emerged."

I know I'm overthinking it. Ugh.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2091 on: September 06, 2016, 01:32:57 am »

Are you required to respond to her notes? I say ignore her.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2092 on: November 01, 2016, 03:29:45 pm »

A lot of NYC roommate ads specify that they want someone "busy" or "not a homebody." What is going on there?

Also a lot of people feel the need to specify that they're never home, which could be related, or else could just be people bragging about how hardworking and special they are.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2093 on: November 01, 2016, 04:52:26 pm »

A lot of NYC roommate ads specify that they want someone "busy" or "not a homebody." What is going on there?

Also a lot of people feel the need to specify that they're never home, which could be related, or else could just be people bragging about how hardworking and special they are.
Definitely related. If you're not home, you're not using the apartment as much. You're not using electricity, common areas, not third wheeling, etc.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2094 on: November 01, 2016, 04:57:16 pm »

That doesn't make sense to me. If I was home all the time I'd want a roommate who was never there, sure. But if I was out all the time, who cares?

Either way though that is a bizarre thing to ask for. You can rent the apartment as long as you don't actually live there much? WTF.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2095 on: November 01, 2016, 05:38:15 pm »

That doesn't make sense to me. If I was home all the time I'd want a roommate who was never there, sure. But if I was out all the time, who cares?

Either way though that is a bizarre thing to ask for. You can rent the apartment as long as you don't actually live there much? WTF.
Totally agree.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2096 on: November 01, 2016, 09:31:01 pm »

Tempting.

There is a certain category of roommate complaint that I have no interest in accommodating. The old roommate complaining every time I cooked onions was one. This is a new one. Sorry that I might spend time in the place I'm paying to live in. If you want to give me some of your salary to go out more often, then I might be willing to change my lifestyle.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2097 on: November 03, 2016, 07:08:50 pm »

I wonder if the reason nobody's responding to my inquiries is the line in the email where I insist on spending time in my own home.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2098 on: November 03, 2016, 08:56:12 pm »

Seriously, I lived with roommates and I remember how peculiar the selection process could be, but nothing was as weird as someone who said they wanted the roommates not to be home a lot. And that includes the roommate we interviewed who was studying piano tuning and wanted to move pianos in and out of the apartment every few weeks. And the one who, when my friend said was it OK that she had a cat, the guy who asked "Does it move a lot?"
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2099 on: November 04, 2016, 07:48:44 am »

I vote Inev contacts one he's not very interested in and asks them the WTF is up with that question.

This must happen.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 143   Go Up