Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "One of Your Shoes is By the Dog Food: A Tale of Things Not Worth Mentioning During Married Life," is out in September on Harper-Doubleday.

Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143   Go Down

Author Topic: Shit my ________ says  (Read 281783 times)

0 Members and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2100 on: November 04, 2016, 02:32:38 pm »

After visiting a few places I think it's just that everyone here is an uptight overworked yuppie.

Saw one place that's pretty perfect, but so tiny. 4 bedrooms and the only common space is a small kitchen/living room combo. But it's a corner building so that small room has tons of windows and is pretty pleasant. I guess I can see how it would feel claustrophobic living there if someone were like, sitting in the living room at all times. The woman moving out texted me that they "loved" me so I guess I did a good job of seeming like I won't be around too much.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2101 on: November 04, 2016, 05:22:36 pm »

At least you'll never have to worry about a piano tuner wanting to move in.

Where is it?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2102 on: November 04, 2016, 05:52:22 pm »

In Crown Heights, about 3/4 of a mile from prospect park. The roommate who I talked to the most said she's lived in Brooklyn for 10 years and this is her favorite apartment so far. So I'm pretty hyped.

The third roommate is a mystery. The 2nd roommate is a finance dude who seems to think he's really down to earth for moving to Brooklyn, so maybe I'll have fodder for this thread in the near future.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2103 on: November 04, 2016, 06:25:18 pm »

I think it's at least a couple of decades too late for "down to earth for moving to Brooklyn."
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2104 on: November 06, 2016, 11:01:53 am »

Satire is dead.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2105 on: November 06, 2016, 07:41:06 pm »

My mom added me to some weird "secret" pro-Hillary facebook group. I looked at it and it was just an endless feed of people saying "just voted! make sure you vote for her! vote early, lines might be long!" so I left the group. Now she texted me asking why I left the group.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2106 on: November 07, 2016, 11:38:14 pm »

"Because I don't like boring crap on my timeline that will be irrelevant in 24 hours" ?
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2107 on: November 14, 2016, 08:12:53 pm »

The boy I had a crush on in grade school just sent me a friend request on Facebook. I should perhaps mention that I am in touch with absolutely no one I know from grade school and am cut off from most of my relatives as well. We have no mutual friends. I mean WTF. He only has 20 friends although his account goes back to 2011, and I don't see any timeline posts (they could be hidden) but I am almost inclined to accept the request because of his four photos, one is a terrible snapshot of two pugs.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2108 on: November 16, 2016, 07:18:52 pm »

Classic stupid behavior by me: I messed up a step in the application process for this apartment, and then mildly lied about it to the woman whose lease I'm taking over. I was embarrassed and believed I had fixed the problem so I didn't think it would be an issue. But now the problem is not resolved, and I'm at the juncture where I can either keep trying to fix this while misleading her, or admit that I lied for no reason.

I think I solved the problem by sending a new check next-day priority mail so hopefully it's resolved. But yeesh, why did that dumb lie come out of my mouth. I need to work on the impulse to tell people what they want to hear.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2109 on: December 05, 2016, 01:05:24 pm »

I need to work on the impulse to tell people what they want to hear.

This is something I too need to work on, because in the real world people want information so they can make decisions not just because they want to hear things that make them feel good.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2110 on: December 05, 2016, 06:21:05 pm »


Most of the time you can toss a little compassion on top of your Jack Webb and it comes out alrighty.


This is so very true.  You have to be good cop and bad cop at the same time.  My real-life worky job requires me to be a pretty hardass heavy sometimes.  OK most of the time.  Almost always.  But you have to play those cards with tact and empathy if you want to be effective, or sleep at night.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2111 on: December 06, 2016, 12:02:24 am »

Mostly I'm just so averse to conflict that I'll lie about any tiny thing rather than ask anyone to accommodate me in any way. Even when they're asking me explicitly what I want. I can't figure out where this comes from.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2112 on: January 12, 2017, 12:20:25 am »

Witnessing a really exciting facebook interchange right now. This guy's sister is lost and her phone died, so she is somehow posting on his facebook wall asking where he is and how to get there. But she's posting a new post for each message, mere minutes apart, and also being really rude to him. Is this some kind of gag?

"No offense to your idiot friends reading this, but where the FUCK are you!?"

I guess if I had a sister like this I could have ended up like this guy.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2113 on: January 12, 2017, 12:34:46 am »

Is he not responding?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Shit my ________ says
« Reply #2114 on: January 12, 2017, 01:26:37 am »

It seemed like he was responding. Bizarre.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143   Go Up