My friend's GF was giving us shit about our "socialist club" being a glorified social circle, and he started arguing back from a majorly weak position "well ok, sure, it's mostly about throwing parties and going out for drinks, BUT" and I just cut him off right there. This week a local immigrant organization is having a day of education and resource sharing (like helping people fill out forms, helping kids apply for DACA before it expires, informing people about their rights as documented or undocumented immigrants, etc) and my group is bringing 88 volunteers. It's so many people that they are scrambling to come up with more activities to fill the day. Not our fault you only show up to the happy hours, dude.
(there are like 100 criticisms I would accept about the group but "all you do is throw parties" is not one of them, that is just not true)
also, I am learning something about myself. I like being given responsibility, but I do not like being in charge of people. I would really like for the "activism/volunteering" part of my life to be something where I can kind of turn my higher brain off and put in some sweat.