Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

You might, rabbit

You might.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 97476 times)

0 Members and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2011, 07:40:49 pm »

Tyler Perry has this weird approach to writing where it is almost like he has never lived a moment as an actual person.

It is like he is an alien who only understands American culture through sitcoms and soap operas and is asked to write about people from that point-of-view.

As if he thinks those things are reality and his writings are a dramatic embellishment starting from that point, creating an exponential multiplication of melodrama and unlikely misunderstandings and cardboard-thin villains and whatnot.

I chalk up his reality disconnect to his being one of those thinly-closeted people who have convinced themselves they're well-closeted but... could be something else, I guess.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2011, 07:52:57 pm »

started watching a Tyler Perry movie last night. Really into it, in a weird way. It was almost like two different movies mashed together, because half of it was really serious drama, and the other half was zany fart comedy. It would transition from a rape scene to a bunch of old black ladies smoking pot and farting. Really really bizarre.

I assumed from this that I was in the dream thread.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2011, 02:32:18 pm »

Saw Hall Pass last night.  Was much funnier than I was expecting.  Also, Jenna Fischer is really attractive.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2011, 02:58:07 pm »

Tangled was cute, but no matter how hard Disney tries, there is simply no way to make Rapunzel about anything other than chastity.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2011, 01:41:19 am »

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2011, 02:27:43 am »

Note: Megamind is better than Despicable Me, both are enjoyable.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2011, 05:31:44 am »

I haven't seen Megamind, but Despicable Me was very cute.  I liked it quite a lot.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2011, 03:42:04 pm »

I watched Due Date recently, on the plane. I wish they wouldn't censor the plane movies. I wish they would just say "Parents, this is another opportunity to actually parent instead of having the airline fill the role of nanny for you. It's up to you to decide if you want your kids to hear people say fuck or see some titties." It was ok, but not as good as I was expecting.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2011, 06:43:06 am »

Pirate Radio. Lots of good music, some funny bits, Phillip Seymour Hoffman was not very good.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Pretty funny. I guess Beck did a lot of the music? I liked it - but I never read the books.

Valhalla Rising. I quite liked this. Very atmospheric.

Did anyone here see Rec? I want to see it with the lovely Ms, but I'm afraid it might be pegging the gore meter a bit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2011, 02:02:30 pm »

Valhalla Rising. I quite liked this. Very atmospheric.

same here, i saw that a few months ago.

Quote
Did anyone here see Rec? I want to see it with the lovely Ms, but I'm afraid it might be pegging the gore meter a bit.

i didnt see that one, but i saw the american remake that stars jennifer carpenter.  i cant say whether the original has lots of gore or not, but i would say it has a fair amount, based on the plot.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Carlos del Vaca

  • The Mayor
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1316
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5007
  • Greetings from Banana Town
    • View Profile
    • bigfool.com
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2011, 04:25:46 pm »

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. Pretty funny. I guess Beck did a lot of the music? I liked it - but I never read the books.

If I recall correctly, Beck wrote the songs for Sex Bob-Omb, and worked with the actors to make them into a band (Michael Cera actually played bass already, the rest of them were new to it).  The song performed by the Scott's awful ex-girlfriend was written and performed by Metric, except the actress's vocals were overdubbed.  Apparently there's a version with Emily Haines' vocals floating around.
Logged
My friends call me the Mayor.
My enemies don't call me anything.  'Cuz they're all dead.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2011, 06:22:35 pm »

That would be sort of fun, having Beck teaching you to be a band. I kind of thought the ex's band (Envy, I think her name was?) sounded like Garbage (if not garbage).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2011, 06:30:34 am »

Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters.

Holy crap this movie was amazing. The kind of amazing that makes me say, I need to go through my netflix and change everything with 5 stars to have 4 stars, because only this movie should have 5 stars.

It is about Yukio Mishima who is completely fascinating.
Also the guy who directed it wrote Taxi Driver. I guess I have a lot of interests in common with Paul Schrader.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2011, 12:53:56 pm »

Quote from: wiki
He finished his planned speech after a few minutes, returned to the commandant's office and committed seppuku. The customary kaishakunin duty at the end of this ritual had been assigned to Tatenokai member Masakatsu Morita, but Morita was unable to properly perform the task. After several failed attempts, he allowed another Tatenokai member, Hiroyasu Koga, to behead Mishima. Morita himself attempted to commit seppuku that day as well. When he failed, Koga once again performed the kaishakunin duty.

Bolded to emphasise my horror.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2011, 06:38:09 pm »

Just saw 127 Hours, which was surprisingly boring.  I came to a point about half way through where I just wanted him to hurry up and cut his arm off.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 35   Go Up