Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

So now we know who reads the News Box.  Hello Jaydub.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 97025 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2011, 07:16:52 pm »

Just saw 127 Hours, which was surprisingly boring.  I came to a point about half way through where I just wanted him to hurry up and cut his arm off.

i have this in my netflix qway.  my only concern is, since i know what is going to happen in the end, will it be any less enjoyable?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2011, 09:05:04 pm »

I don't think it was knowing that made it less enjoyable for me.  It was James Franco that made it less enjoyable to me.  I haven't really seen much of him before and I definitely didn't like his performance here. 

In the whole man v nature based on true stories vein, I much preferred Into the Wild as far as emotional journeys into isolation and suffering/struggle go.  In both cases I knew what the outcome would be, but there was something about Into the Wild that struck me on a much deeper level.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2011, 01:50:18 am »

I haven't seen 127 hours but I really disliked Into the Wild. I'm probably curmudgeonly before my time but it was a story about a dude who goes into the wild and dies because he's so busy being a free spirit that he doesn't bother to listen to any good advice. Damn long-hair.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2011, 03:03:37 am »

I haven't seen 127 hours but I really disliked Into the Wild. I'm probably curmudgeonly before my time but it was a story about a dude who goes into the wild and dies because he's so busy being a free spirit that he doesn't bother to listen to any good advice. Damn long-hair.

a chill just ran up my spine because we already have one asserdan on this rock.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2011, 03:35:40 am »

I liked Into the Wild even though I didn't like that guy at all.  He was really full of shit.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2011, 03:59:52 am »

I haven't seen 127 hours but I really disliked Into the Wild. I'm probably curmudgeonly before my time but it was a story about a dude who goes into the wild and dies because he's so busy being a free spirit that he doesn't bother to listen to any good advice. Damn long-hair.

The book is fantastic. Haven't seen the movie, but I know what you mean.

I liked 127 Hours. I think Franco did a fine job and it didn't drag like I feared it might.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2011, 07:24:50 pm »

I haven't seen 127 hours but I really disliked Into the Wild. I'm probably curmudgeonly before my time but it was a story about a dude who goes into the wild and dies because he's so busy being a free spirit that he doesn't bother to listen to any good advice. Damn long-hair.

I liked Into the Wild even though I didn't like that guy at all.  He was really full of shit.

I think the audience was supposed to find his actions and choices questionable.  For me that was what made it so tragic and emotional.  A young man, a silly dreamer, can be driven to a very unhealthy place when left to his own devices.  It's an intensely frustrating thing to know someone has been presented with reason and for them to ignore it, but it happens so frequently, and I liked the way it as presented, where as in 127 Hours *spoiler*it was totally brushed off as an "oh, I was stupid, but now I leave a note."  He still does this shit.  He has a wife and child and he lost a limb, but he still endangers his life regularly. *spoiler* The problem is, human beings long for freedom, and will seek it out to the point of self endangerment and possibly stupidity.  It's a fascinating thing to examine, and I think 127 failed to even touch upon that aspect in any deep way. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2011, 05:01:23 pm »

Also the guy who directed it wrote Taxi Driver. I guess I have a lot of interests in common with Paul Schrader.

He also directed Hardcore, which I really enjoyed. It wasn't as exploitative as you might expect. Nice work by Peter Boyle in it.

I don't think it was knowing that made it less enjoyable for me.  It was James Franco that made it less enjoyable to me.  I haven't really seen much of him before and I definitely didn't like his performance here. 

I liked him in Pineapple Express; I don't think I want to see him in anything else. (After some research) The only things I've seen him in other than that are the Spider-Man movies (which I thought he kind of sucked in) and an X-Files episode.

In the whole man v nature based on true stories vein, I much preferred Into the Wild as far as emotional journeys into isolation and suffering/struggle go.  In both cases I knew what the outcome would be, but there was something about Into the Wild that struck me on a much deeper level.

I'm not really interested in all those "wandering off into the wilderness and not handling it well" movies. I'd be into watching a movie about Rulon Gardner, but he only lost a toe.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2011, 04:00:50 am »

If I was Josef Stalin, I would have snatched up Rulon Gardner for my super-soldier breeding program so fast.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2011, 02:57:34 am »

He also directed Hardcore, which I really enjoyed. It wasn't as exploitative as you might expect. Nice work by Peter Boyle in it.

Hardcore is definitely an overlooked masterpiece.  It's the kind of gritty movie that I love and Hollywood doesn't know how to make anymore.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2011, 05:08:55 am »

my roommate and I watched Malcolm X. I still love it a lot. I really really like Spike Lee.

My roommate made some weird comments about "not buying" certain aspects of the movie.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2011, 04:47:33 am »

My favorite Spike Lee movie joint movie is 25th Hour, which seems to sit pretty far from most of his other work, thematically and stylistically. I like his other movies too, but I love that one. Oh man, Rosario Dawson. Oh man. Maybe Clockers is my second favorite.

Wait, did I see Clockers? I read and really enjoyed the book but can't remember if I actually saw the movie. Weird.

Also, he was really entertaining in Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2011, 03:52:02 pm »

"God Grew Tired of Us"

hell of heartbreaking, yet hell of inspirational.  i want to be like those dudes when i grow up.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2011, 04:14:24 pm »

"God Grew Tired of Us"

hell of heartbreaking, yet hell of inspirational.  i want to be like those dudes when i grow up.

Love this movie!  I love the look on all their faces when they're checking out the sprinkled donut.  It reminds me of when I ran the food bank and had to explain to new Canadian refugees that marshmallows are food - in fact a candy that children will like.  Marshmallows are pretty alien if you've never seen one and can't read the packaging.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2011, 04:27:21 pm »

I haven't seen it yet because it's still being made but I just gave some Kickstarter money to a documentary on designer board games. It looks to be the tits.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35   Go Up