Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Established 2003
TOUAMB: Wandering off topic since the early 21st Century

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 96977 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2011, 01:01:08 am »

I just saw"the Illusionist" which was wonderful.  It's made by the same folks who made The Triplets of Belleville, (which is one of the most enchanting animated films ever made if you haven't yet seen it).  Both these film are the epitome of French enchanted melancholy I adore.

Oh, that looks good and Triplets was a wonderful film.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2011, 01:03:30 am »

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I really enjoyed Triplets.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #122 on: March 29, 2011, 04:25:27 am »

I really really didn't like Illusionist. It bugged me a lot. Interested to hear what the rest of you think about it.

Maybe I've lost my sense of whimsy, or something. I loved Triplets.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #123 on: March 29, 2011, 04:55:51 am »

that is a preview for the movie "source code".....

I think that was just an ad. The trailer had a trailer...or something.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #124 on: March 29, 2011, 06:58:53 pm »

In re: Inception

I just saw it and the Lovely Bones.    I enjoyed both.   I really wish Inception had a little bit more of the visual guts that Lovely Bones had.


I've been traveling for work.  The Casino I've been living in has a movie theater in it.   I saw these two movies there.

True Grit: Loved it.   Not sure when I haven't loved something the Cohen's have worked on.   The original John Wayne movie arrived at my house yesterday.   I'd like to compare The Dude and the Duke's performances.

The Fighter:  Heartbreaking.  I loved this as well.   I even liked Amy Adams in it.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #125 on: March 29, 2011, 09:04:51 pm »

I really really didn't like Illusionist. It bugged me a lot. Interested to hear what the rest of you think about it.

Maybe I've lost my sense of whimsy, or something. I loved Triplets.

Was it his relationship with the girl that bothered you?  I found there was a lot of tension there in regard to each of their expectations of the other that was interesting.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2011, 11:24:16 am »



zoe bell.  'nuff said.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2011, 03:04:21 am »

Anyone see Black Swan?

Superb film. An absolute ride seeing it in the cinema, builds perfectly throughout and you're constantly in thrall with the emotions of Portman's character, the symbiotic mesh of music, cinematography and head-fucked-up-ness is just brilliant. I love Swan Lake so that helps. I urge you to put your speakers on loud, turn the lights off and enjoy. It gets very intense at times and I'm a little bit loathe to put myself through it again but it's really fuck*ng good.

Also, Natalie Portman fiddles with herself and Mila Kunis goes to town on her crotch

EDIT: I see this has already been covered. Seriously the sex action is just a small but crucial part of a bigger thing.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 03:09:32 am by Drygioni »
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2011, 03:22:13 am »

Sure it is.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2011, 09:15:43 am »

Seems like just a couple of years ago the majority of opinion on this board was that Natalie Portman wasn't a very good actress.  I thought she was terrible in Star Wars, but I don't blame her for that.  I guess she's improved.  Mila Kunis is a fox.  I didn't know she was also in Black Swan.  I need to see this movie.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2011, 04:43:20 pm »

Seems like just a couple of years ago the majority of opinion on this board was that Natalie Portman wasn't a very good actress.  I thought she was terrible in Star Wars, but I don't blame her for that.  I guess she's improved.  Mila Kunis is a fox.  I didn't know she was also in Black Swan.  I need to see this movie.

It's a poor workman that blames their tools, but Nat didn't have much to work with in Star Wars.  I think they all should have talked less, and more things should have gone "PEW PEW PEW" and "KEWRBLOOOM!"  (also: ZWOMP ZWOMP ZWOMP.)
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2011, 04:47:24 pm »

There is only so much you can do as an actor when someone gives you terrible dialogue and tells you to deliver it to a ping pong ball on a blue wall with the caveat that the pingpong ball is eventually going to be a racist caricature lizard bunny, don't worry, we'll fix it in post.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2011, 05:28:28 pm »

I wonder how much of that is going to creep in to regular film making - there's such a difference from the films of the 30s and 40s, say, to the dramas of today, and I'm guessing that they'll be a gradual CGI creep just because you can do so much with it.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2011, 06:56:02 pm »

There is only so much you can do as an actor when someone gives you terrible dialog

OMG, horrible flash back of an audition where I had to say the line "why do they call you Dr. Tongue." Eventually I just walked out of that audition.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2011, 07:14:51 pm »

This week I've seen A Place in the Sun.  Wow, what a fantastic film.  Elizabeth Taylor's first adult role.  And last night I saw For Whom the Bell Tolls.  Epic.  It seems like I saw a filmed version of this before, but it wasn't this.  What a fantastic movie.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35   Go Up