Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 96970 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2011, 02:13:26 am »

Yeah, plus it always creeps me out when a movie only appeals predominantly to Caucasians.  There's something scary about white lines when you've got red blood.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Drygioni

  • formerly Judy
  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 194
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1796
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2011, 12:41:10 am »

I watched City of God for the first time recently. Film's great, those Brazilians are notorious aren't they? The excellent cinematography means you have a really great view to a kill throughout the shootouts, I hope the film makers got to meet El Presidente and receive the recognition they deserved, it's a great document of some really wild boys in one of the most troubled hotspots upon planet Earth.

Too much information at times maybe; I'll certainly save a prayer for two poor unfortunate youngsters, a harrowing scene I won't spoil. Friends of mine felt it was a big thing to show such a serious scene, but if they had omitted such details I'd have to ask myself, is there something I should know? This world will further come undone unless we truly understand the ugly side of crime and passion.
Logged
I am sorry for my behaviour last night.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2011, 01:17:05 pm »

That's some fine work right there, J.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2011, 01:54:24 am »

The King's Speech was awesome. My friends all came out of it pissed off that the idea of royalty still exists. I realized... it really doesn't bother me.

First movie I have seen in a while where I cannot think of any flaw.

Okay, this post made me think I should check it out and it's the reason I'm now I'm about to watch this movie.  I will report back.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2011, 02:20:08 am »

Quote
Yeah, plus it always creeps me out when a movie only appeals predominantly to Caucasians.  There's something scary about white lines when you've got red blood.

I have no idea what this means.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2011, 12:49:55 pm »

I have no idea what this means.

We're all riffing on a theme Inev:White Lines.

As for The Kings Speech, I did enjoy it.  Colin Firth is almost always good in everything, especially in those awkward roles.  I was contrasting the portrayal of King George VI as a warmly loving father against the stiffness of Queen Elizabeth and thinking about that during the movie.  I did wish that there would be more of the Queen Mother in the film though.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2011, 01:08:30 pm »

We're all riffing on a theme Inev:White Lines.

That was pretty cool.  I had never heard that song.  It kinda got bogged down in the second half with the pointless, tacked on rapping.  They should remix that without the raps.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2011, 08:08:20 pm »

oh, I mostly meant the part about how that movie appeals predominantly to caucasians.

Yeah, I actually know nothing about the movie - I was just trying to work in the song in a way that wasn't an allusion to doing cocaine.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:28:01 pm by side_show »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2011, 09:09:47 pm »

Watched The (T)Rite on the plane. So now Anthony Hopkins is going to be the guy who makes any movie for a paycheck? Ok. I don't mind that at all - I do whatever they want for a paycheck, too. I just like knowing, so I don't go into a movie thinking it's going to be good because he's in it.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. I read this book when it came out, and it was great. The movie's fantastic as well. Sam Rockwell is so good. And yes, that is Michael Cera playing a young Chuck Barris. He's never been better. Johnny Depp was purportedly up for the role - that would have been an interesting movie, too.

The Crazies, Romero's original. There were good things about this movie, but I was surprised at how clunky it was, considering Night of the Living Dead. We're going to watch the remake today, as well as King's Speech.

Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2011, 09:28:29 pm »

oh, I mostly meant the part about how that movie appeals predominantly to caucasians.


Yeah, I actually know nothing about the movie - I was just trying to work in the song title in a way that wasn't an allusion to doing cocaine.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2011, 09:36:24 pm »

OK, good. I have been thinking about that for several weeks.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2011, 05:11:45 am »

Crazies sequel was better than the original, but not great. King's Speech was fantastic, although I was a little distracted by some minor historical inaccuracies and some glosses.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2011, 12:28:12 am »

Source Code was pretty good, but not as good as Moon. This is definitely the blockbuster he made to pay the bills. It was still a good film and pretty gratifying, the last ten minutes are just kind of dumb. There's actually one shot that really seems like the end of the movie to me, and then it keeps going, so I wonder if that got the heck focus grouped out of it.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2011, 03:33:01 pm »

Oh man, Moon was great.

Observe and Report was ok. Some funny bits. I saw it because I read an article on Anna Faris in the New Yorker. She does a lot more with her part here than Rogan does with his. He's pretty ham-fisted. Aziz was good, as was Michael Peņa.

Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Fun kind of whiz-bang deal. I was kind of surprised to see Johnny Depp in this - or I should say, I was surprised at what the movie ended up being considering he was in it. A little too cartoony for me, but I like the series. I'm a pretty big Salma Hayek fan.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #179 on: May 18, 2011, 07:44:23 am »

I spent a lot of Observe and Report waiting for it to go darker than it did. Not necessarily saying it would have been a better movie for it, just that I felt like it spent a lot of time teetering between 'goofy comedy' and 'Taxi Driver' and would have been interested to see where it went if it crossed that line.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35   Go Up