Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Listen, I've been duped by "English-speaking" pizza places before.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 97090 times)

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2011, 06:57:26 pm »

I love Arrested Development.  Fun little side note:  when I worked for Mastercard, it was for a store Mastercard of the Loblaw Grocery Chain and one the upper management on the financial end was a relative of the founder.  The guy's name is Bob Loblaw.  There were a couple other guys from the Loblaw family involved as well so his name really never stood out to me.  I stopped working there before ever having seen Arrested Development, but for whatever reason when I did start watching the show, I just figured the name was one of those "regular joe" type names until my husband pointed out the joke.  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:30:20 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2011, 07:21:33 pm »

Sometimes I just compulsively say Bob Loblaw.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #227 on: August 16, 2011, 07:35:12 pm »

I know.  It's a beautiful bit of rhythm and sound really.  Also fascinating: Cross-linguistic onomatopoeias .  Also, I like the sound of the word onomatopoeia.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #228 on: August 16, 2011, 07:44:18 pm »

I like the sound of the word onomatopoeia.

I like the song
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2011, 04:45:32 pm »

I just saw Sucker Punch, by Zach Snyder, the guy who did 300. A bit self-indulgent, but I thought there were fun parts to watch. Too much violence toward women dressed in a fake empowerment costume, though.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #230 on: September 03, 2011, 05:08:15 pm »

I just saw Sucker Punch, by Zach Snyder, the guy who did 300. A bit self-indulgent, but I thought there were fun parts to watch. Too much violence toward women dressed in a fake empowerment costume, though.

as soon as a saw the previews i wrote it off as nerd JO material.

i just tried to watch "Lost Highway".  i got  3/4 done and that was enough for me.  it was too disjointed.  i mean, i like film noir, but that shit tripped my gag-reflex in about half an hour.  i didnt care about the characters.  2/5 stars

maybe im just too dumg to get the subtleties of david lynch.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #231 on: October 26, 2011, 12:06:35 pm »

howls moving castle

red state-kevin smith tried to make a horror movie and ended up with a snarky mess
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #232 on: November 03, 2011, 03:55:13 am »

as soon as a saw the previews i wrote it off as nerd JO material.

i just tried to watch "Lost Highway".  i got  3/4 done and that was enough for me.  it was too disjointed.  i mean, i like film noir, but that shit tripped my gag-reflex in about half an hour.  i didnt care about the characters.  2/5 stars

maybe im just too dumg to get the subtleties of david lynch.

I love David Lynch possibly more than any other filmmaker but a lot of his stuff isn't exactly subtle. I think people try to hard to scratch the surface for a deeper meaning that just isn't there. It's been a while since I've seen it but I think I'd put Lost Highway in that category, along with my favorite of his, Mulholland Dr. Whether you like it has nothing to do with intelligence.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #233 on: November 03, 2011, 04:01:25 am »

I love David Lynch possibly more than any other filmmaker but a lot of his stuff isn't exactly subtle. I think people try to hard to scratch the surface for a deeper meaning that just isn't there.

I always thought there was a certain subtlety to this bit.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #234 on: November 07, 2011, 03:03:01 am »

Just saw Attack the Block. Best movie I have seen in years. Also perfectly proves the Wombat Principle that there is no reason for a movie to last more than an hour and a half.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #235 on: November 07, 2011, 03:31:35 am »

Really liked Charlie Wilson's War.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #236 on: November 07, 2011, 03:59:35 am »

That is a good movie. I saw Lawrence of Arabia for the first time last week, said to a friend at the time it would be cool (though massive) to do a double screening with Syriana as a kind of book ends of a particular era in the Arab world sort of deal.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #237 on: November 07, 2011, 04:00:34 am »

frost/nixon was much better than expected.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #238 on: November 07, 2011, 05:02:50 am »

I saw Lawrence of Arabia for the first time last week

They screened this at the MFA a couple of years ago.  it is Epic on the big screen.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #239 on: November 07, 2011, 05:17:38 am »

I can imagine. I had to split it over two nights because by the time the first half finished we were too drunk and silly to continue.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35   Go Up