Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Barely passed Oregon driver's test. Lots of rules about Yielding to the Distraught and slow-moving salmon trucks on one-way switchbacks.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 97206 times)

0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #240 on: November 09, 2011, 12:55:37 pm »

Netflix: The last Mogul
Lew Wasserman was a super-human businessman who went from nothing to hundreds of millions of dollars, a man I pray to. I won't ruin the ending, but I can't decide whether it is happy or sad.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:59:20 pm by Arachno-capitalist »
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #241 on: November 11, 2011, 05:43:06 am »

Just saw The Artist. Clever, funny, touching, perfect. I enjoyed every single minute of it. See it, please.

I also think I am in love with the actress from the movie. Google image searching her, maybe she should stick with the 1920's style curls in real life.

What can I say, I am a sucker for a skinny lady with curls and a big smile.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #242 on: November 11, 2011, 07:01:30 pm »

Seriously, people, you need to see Attack the Block. It's like The Wire with aliens.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #243 on: November 12, 2011, 12:28:30 am »

Seriously, people, you need to see Attack the Block. It's like The Wire with aliens.

done did.  it was SO good!
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2011, 03:16:54 am »

Best line from that movie: "This is too much madness to fit into one text!"
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #245 on: November 12, 2011, 07:30:14 am »

Best line from that movie: "This is too much madness to fit into one text!"

i am hella fascinated by british urban slang/culture, and how it compares to our urban slang/culture.  especially the slang because with the accent, it still sounds proper and not lazy.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #246 on: November 12, 2011, 07:46:55 am »

Really enjoyed On the Waterfront. Too bad it was about a no good fink.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #247 on: November 12, 2011, 08:33:01 am »

As I mentioned on FB, saw Werner Herzog's "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" in 3D tonight. It was astounding.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #248 on: November 15, 2011, 04:19:10 am »

holy crap, Saturday Night Fever is really messed up.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #249 on: November 15, 2011, 05:32:58 pm »

As I mentioned on FB, saw Werner Herzog's "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" in 3D tonight. It was astounding.

Astounding is the right word. I don't entirely mean this in a positive way.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #250 on: November 20, 2011, 06:39:24 pm »

That probably means something I am curious about.

I saw Diabolique (again, I had forgotten I saw it), Peeping Tom, Source Code, The Great Dictator, some crazy well-regarded zombie movie from the early 70s that has been released under 15+ different titles (Living Dead at Manchester Morgue?), Chaplin (again), Carriers, and Pandorum. All were pretty good.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #251 on: December 15, 2011, 10:05:07 pm »

New Louis C.K. special. Available directly at his website for $5, but you have to use paypal (sorry). You can stream it twice and download it three times, and he helpfully points out that by downloading it you can watch it as many times as you wish. I actually haven't watched it because it's still downloading and the internet connection I'm using is crappy at streaming.

Is there a thread for the whole artist charging for art discussion or is it just something that occasionally but reliably pops up like the pr/descriptivism debate? Anyway, he makes a good case for it. He's a righteous dude.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #252 on: December 15, 2011, 10:36:02 pm »

I am totally in favor of a system that lets me give the Dude money directly, instead of giving it to the video store, which gives a cut to the company that put out the video, which gives a cut to his managing company, which gives a cut to him.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2011, 12:17:51 am »

And it's only $5 instead of $29.95 because $5 is what he would have been making anyway if it went through all of those other channels.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #254 on: December 16, 2011, 02:35:20 am »

I dig it, my only issue would be suggesting that anyone in the world can just... do that.

He's gotten the ability to do that successfully from being successful on a mainstream platform completely built into the old system first.

When there's a system for a "nobody" to do that then we'll call it a mature form.

It doesn't mean that we're divested from the old system, it just means that if you work within it for a few decades you can potentially escape it.

Right now, it's just a really awesome curio that can work for a few people, not the revolution of artistic independence some people want to call it.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35   Go Up