Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Fnord.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 97229 times)

0 Members and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #255 on: December 16, 2011, 02:46:41 am »

...not the revolution of artistic independence some people want to call it.

And we'll only get there by being certain that we can't.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #256 on: December 16, 2011, 04:19:36 am »

I'm not saying we can't get there.

I'm just saying... lets not say we have moon colonies because we've gotten a few shuttles up.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #257 on: December 16, 2011, 05:31:34 am »

LFM, I disagree almost entirely with what you've written.  The only thing I can agree on is that it's not a mature form, but it's much more mature than you think it is.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #258 on: December 16, 2011, 05:59:38 am »

Yeah dude, there is a guy putting his shit up on the net for sale straight to the individual, the colonies are there already. But sure, he got popular in part through Big Media (though arguably more by touring his ass off), but then I'll point to stuff like the Guild, or Funnyordie which does have lots of celebrities on it but really has a name in and of itself, hell how about the webcomic which spawned the forum we're all talking on right now one of many, many webcomics that rose up out of nowhere and make their owners a decent living? People are doing shit dude, it might not look exactly like the old stuff (and obviously doesn't have the penetration just yet) but isn't that kind of the point?
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #259 on: December 16, 2011, 07:09:51 am »

There are a considerable number of internet celebrities.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #260 on: December 16, 2011, 11:11:14 am »

Pretty much that. In the analogy, the colonies (the distribution channel) are already there, if not used to their full capacity - which I even think is the way to go, I've always favored quality of quantity, I much rather have a smattering of really talented people breaking through than a deluge of so-so artists. The internet is a shop window and street traffic is always high. It's only logical to assume that good products being displayed will draw attention. A talented person can outdo a silly house animal (and some of those have viewers in the seven digits.)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:35:43 am by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #261 on: December 16, 2011, 05:50:12 pm »

The internet produces a lot of one hit wonders.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #262 on: December 16, 2011, 11:54:52 pm »

Countess-the legend of Erzebet Bathory gets the dramatic treatment.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #263 on: December 18, 2011, 02:02:09 am »

I have a friend who just published a few books and he's selling some of them as kindle books. Nobody has any idea who he is and they are still buying them. I suspect this deal could be the same. I'm sure it helps to have the built-in audience, but that's true no matter what medium you're working in.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #264 on: December 21, 2011, 02:58:23 am »

Where in the uncanny valley does the new Tintin movie fall? I'm a little creeped out by some still frames that I've seen in ads.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

nDed

  • Todd
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 34
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 292
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #265 on: December 22, 2011, 04:42:58 pm »

Where in the uncanny valley does the new Tintin movie fall? I'm a little creeped out by some still frames that I've seen in ads.

Based on the clips I've seen, it's not so bad with Capt. Haddock and other characters with more cartoony proportions, but Tintin himself does look pretty creepy in motion since they tried to make his face realistic.
Logged
Love never blows up and gets killed.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #266 on: December 22, 2011, 09:54:25 pm »

Just saw mission impossible, surprisingly watchable considering how bad the last two were. Simon Pegg brings the Funny with regularity and even Mr 'acting means making this one ludicrously intense face' Tom Cruise gets a few gags in.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #267 on: December 23, 2011, 03:09:44 am »

I wonder if they'll play Haddock's alcoholism for laughs as much in the movie as they do in the books.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #268 on: December 28, 2011, 04:26:19 am »

Just saw Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  I broke all my own rules for this one and saw it before reading the book(s) or seeing the original film(s).  It was excellent.  Gave me the same thrill as Silence of the Lambs did back in the day.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #269 on: December 28, 2011, 04:54:41 am »

I believe it was our fearless leader who once said he liked to see the movie first because he didn't want the book fuck*ng up the film for him.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 35   Go Up