Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I had to look up how pi is derived. It has been sixteen years since the SAT, yet still, I feel very ashamed

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 97484 times)

0 Members and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #270 on: December 28, 2011, 10:04:18 am »

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing for this one. There's just so much talent I respect behind that film I'd hate to ruin it for myself.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #271 on: December 28, 2011, 01:53:18 pm »

I only managed to read two chapters of that book before throwing it across the room as a piece of crap so if there are actual talented people involved with the movie that sounds like a good idea. It's certainly not a best seller because of any writing style that would be tragically lost in a translation to the screen.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #272 on: December 28, 2011, 04:48:18 pm »

Well, like Silence of the Lambs, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is not my type of book.  When it comes to suspense/thriller type material I think as an audience, I'm best served by someone else controlling the pacing, because when reading I'll skim over words, sentences, paragraphs to get to the point, and that's not really the intention. 

One thing, though, having not read the books and having intentionally gone in not knowing much about the plot, it was considerably more violent than I expected, which is not a problem for me, but was a big problem for the person I saw it with.  Also, without spoiling anything, I will say that the music was outstanding, including, most surprisingly, the use of an 80's easy listening hit employed in a most unexpected way.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #273 on: December 28, 2011, 10:16:39 pm »

Also, without spoiling anything, I will say that the music was outstanding, including, most surprisingly, the use of an 80's easy listening hit employed in a most unexpected way.

I don't know anything about this subject, but this made me think of American Psycho.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #274 on: December 29, 2011, 03:18:46 am »

Well, getting back to the book thing, if you've read American Psycho, the music is not unexpected because it's spoken of obsessively and excessively through out the book.  If I recall correctly, there's an entire chapter entirely devoted to Genesis.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #275 on: December 29, 2011, 03:46:39 am »

Absolutely - I just meant the thing about the 80s hit. I'll never forget those portions of the movie where he discusses music.

Come to think of it, I really enjoyed American Psycho.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #276 on: December 29, 2011, 04:02:57 am »

I liked American Psycho too, both film and book are true to themselves and successful.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #277 on: December 29, 2011, 04:03:55 am »

Absolutely - I just meant the thing about the 80s hit. I'll never forget those portions of the movie where he discusses music.

Come to think of it, I really enjoyed American Psycho.

I'm not really one of those people that flips out about remakes because I think a good movie will survive bad remakes, but seriously, wtf? At least the Bret Ellis is on board, and that counts for something, I guess.
Logged

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #278 on: December 29, 2011, 05:37:29 am »

If I recall correctly, there's an entire chapter entirely devoted to Genesis.

One of the few things American Pyscho and the Bible have in common.
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #279 on: December 29, 2011, 09:08:28 pm »

Even with Bale losing his shit on that poor fucker a couple years back, I am still really impressed by him.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #280 on: December 29, 2011, 09:38:57 pm »

Agreed.  I mean, people can be dicks and still be good at their job, and Bale is a good actor even if he lacks in other areas.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #281 on: December 29, 2011, 10:58:06 pm »

I thought it was company policy here at TOUAMB to actively avoid knowing anything at all about the personal lives of actors.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #282 on: December 29, 2011, 11:14:47 pm »

I thought it was company policy here at TOUAMB to actively avoid knowing anything at all about the personal lives of actors.

It was kind of hard to avoid.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #283 on: January 01, 2012, 05:44:23 pm »

I have a friend who just published a few books and he's selling some of them as kindle books. Nobody has any idea who he is and they are still buying them. I suspect this deal could be the same. I'm sure it helps to have the built-in audience, but that's true no matter what medium you're working in.

I went to a party last night in Moorpark, CA (I spent a summer in Simi Valley as a teenager and had no idea until like last week that the place existed) to see a couple friends I haven't seen in years. One of them just published a book as a kindle exclusive type deal and was delighted that I bought it right there on the spot with the kindle app on my phone. I was delighted too, but I was a little drunk. We'll see if I actually read it.

The first five chapters or so of the book were a slog but the payoff was ginormous. This was certainly a book that would benefit from a movie cutting out all the slow stuff.

Or if you're lazy and impatient.

Most people I've talked haven't liked the book much. I mean, if you're writing a thriller and it takes that long to become interesting, you need a new fuck*ng editor. I'm not lazy or impatient when it comes to books, but when you're writing a thriller, unless you're establishing some awesome atmosphere or you write amazing dialogue, don't fuck around for more than a few pages.

Wait, this is a movie thread. Maybe I'll see a movie today?
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #284 on: January 01, 2012, 11:46:22 pm »

I liked the book that most people didn't seem to like (from the beginning).

I finally saw Some Like it Hot tonight, and thought that it was distinctly mediocre.  I find it baffling that it appears on so many lists of greatest films.  The one saving grace of it, and it went a long way towards salvaging it at all, is the sheer presence of Monroe.  I only really understood in a sort of second-hand way that she was a major sex symbol, but until you actually see her melting the cameras you don't really realise what a breathtakingly horny presence she was.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 35   Go Up