Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Did you know...
That you can post photos to the TOUAMB Flickr Pool?

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 97036 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #285 on: January 02, 2012, 01:11:08 am »

Most people I've talked haven't liked the book much. I mean, if you're writing a thriller and it takes that long to become interesting, you need a new fuck*ng editor. I'm not lazy or impatient when it comes to books, but when you're writing a thriller, unless you're establishing some awesome atmosphere or you write amazing dialogue, don't fuck around for more than a few pages.

Quoted for fuck*ng truth.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #286 on: January 02, 2012, 03:10:03 am »

Quoted for fuck*ng truth.

This makes me wonder, since the books were published after the authors death maybe there wasn't a complete editing process on the book or books.  Seeing the film made me want to read the next books in the series, but not read the first one.  That the film didn't leave me with a feeling that I hadn't gotten the whole story is a unique thing in and of it self.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2012, 03:26:15 am »

That doesn't seem like much of an excuse. What's easier than editing a book without the author around to argue about it?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #288 on: January 02, 2012, 11:49:05 am »

I liked the book that most people didn't seem to like (from the beginning).

I finally saw Some Like it Hot tonight, and thought that it was distinctly mediocre.  I find it baffling that it appears on so many lists of greatest films.  The one saving grace of it, and it went a long way towards salvaging it at all, is the sheer presence of Monroe.  I only really understood in a sort of second-hand way that she was a major sex symbol, but until you actually see her melting the cameras you don't really realise what a breathtakingly horny presence she was.

It's no Seven Year Itch. She's a fuck*ng bomb in that. I don't mean to slag on the poor girl, but anyone who sees that and still finds the Kate Moss waif look appealing . . . no. You're doing it wrong. That movie makes me happy to be married to a woman with serious curves.

If you're not married to a woman with serious curves (or if you're not a woman with serious curves your ownself) . . . well, I can't help you. You're fucked.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #289 on: January 02, 2012, 12:37:45 pm »

If you're not married to a woman with serious curves (or if you're not a woman with serious curves your ownself) . . . well, I can't help you. You're fucked.

i agree with you, but im glad that no matter what lady-shape grabs a persons attention, there are a variety of them out there to admire and interact with.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #290 on: January 02, 2012, 11:32:21 pm »

i agree with you, but im glad that no matter what lady-shape grabs a persons attention, there are a variety of them out there to admire and interact with.

You have a good point. Sometimes I am too inside my own head.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #291 on: January 03, 2012, 12:29:03 am »

Maybe that is because inside Nabu's head is such a good place to be.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #292 on: January 03, 2012, 05:40:18 am »

Maybe that is because inside Nabu's head is such a good place to be.

There are lots of interesting people here to talk to.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #293 on: January 18, 2012, 04:00:28 pm »

I recently watched "The Thin Man" (1934), w/ William Powell and Myrna Loy, and was positively charmed out of my ##### by it. All that you need to know about it is "married detective couple solves crimes with zing and zest (also alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol)!" (and if this premise sounds tiresome, there's always the fact that - for all I know - this was the movie to use it, or at least use it so well).

All evidence to the contrary I'm not a sourpuss, however it is a rare occurrence when the funny in my head is sufficiently strong to make me shake the ol' ribcage. I mostly smirk. But this line here had me waking the neighbors:

. And believe me, it's not half as funny if you can't see Mr. Powell's delivery.

A word to the wise: Drinking games along the lines of "I'll down one whenever Nick or Nora Charles have one" will get you fucked up real fast.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:04:17 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #294 on: January 18, 2012, 04:43:50 pm »

red, white, and blue

indie revenge thriller
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #295 on: January 18, 2012, 05:58:54 pm »

I recently watched "The Thin Man" (1934), w/ William Powell and Myrna Loy, and was positively charmed out of my ##### by it. All that you need to know about it is "married detective couple solves crimes with zing and zest (also alcohol. Lots and lots of alcohol)!" (and if this premise sounds tiresome, there's always the fact that - for all I know - this was the movie to use it, or at least use it so well).

FYI - the first sequel is still very good, but after that the series goes downhill fast. Nick and Nora have a kid – ugh.
Logged

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #296 on: January 19, 2012, 02:25:47 am »

Yeah, I think I'll just catch the second (I read about the teetotaler thing as well... now that is sad.)
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #297 on: January 22, 2012, 05:18:17 am »

I just saw Horrible Bosses, and it was so bad.  Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrell, Jamie Foxx and Jason Bateman are all actors I've enjoyed in other things, but this movie?  Steaming pile of shit.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #298 on: January 22, 2012, 12:38:55 pm »

I just saw Horrible Bosses, and it was so bad.  Kevin Spacey, Colin Farrell, Jamie Foxx and Jason Bateman are all actors I've enjoyed in other things, but this movie?  Steaming pile of shit.

thats exactly what i expected of that movie.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #299 on: January 22, 2012, 03:41:31 pm »

What about Bridesmaids? I've heard mixed reviews, including gushing from a guy I don't trust and panning from someone I do (except she didn't like Hangover, so hm).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35   Go Up