Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault. - Salvador Dali

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 97091 times)

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #315 on: January 31, 2012, 05:28:35 am »

Dude, I just saw Room 237 last night. It was pretty good. I love weird pop culture obsessives and conspiracy theorists though.

That trailer never gets old. I was severely disappointed that it didn't make it into Room 237. Also, it's been so long since I have seen the actual movie that I forgot how fucked up those scenes are. I mean, I remember that the movie is pretty fucked up, but forgot a lot of the specifics.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #316 on: January 31, 2012, 05:30:46 pm »

Good Lord that was crazy.  I couldn't make it to the end and I was using the scroll bar.

Me too.  Interesting stuff, but dude needs to take lessons in be succinct. 

I just saw Twilight: Breaking Dawn Pt 1 (due to bonding with the younger generation) there was a couple points where I just needed to chuckle at the silliness of it all, and Taylor Lautner couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.  One cute moment though was when the wolves were fighting and my dog got all serious and had to watch real close.   So apparently when it came to pack animal behavior and fighting, they got that part right.  It was a nice looking movie, without much substance (just like the books, which I also read due to bonding with the younger generation).  Both the film and the movie have some messed up messages about the consequences of sex that I think really sprung from the subconscious of the LDS creator's brain.  Really odd stuff.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #317 on: January 31, 2012, 05:51:13 pm »

One cute moment though was when the wolves were fighting and my dog got all serious and had to watch real close.   

Ha!  Please pass this tiny can of Dr. Pepper on to your dog.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #318 on: February 01, 2012, 12:46:50 am »

persepolis- going into, i didnt know much about iran or its history.  it was interesting to learn about it through the lens of this woman's experience.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #319 on: February 01, 2012, 01:22:01 am »

my friends are all making a big stink about how much they didn't like The Artist. Phooey on them, I say.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #320 on: February 01, 2012, 01:37:35 am »

my friends are all making a big stink about how much they didn't like The Artist. Phooey on them, I say.

Are they taking kind of an elitist (or maybe contrary) stance because of its many accolades? I've seen, heard and read some of this and I think it's really funny given that it's a French silent movie.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #321 on: February 01, 2012, 04:52:20 pm »

persepolis- going into, i didnt know much about iran or its history.  it was interesting to learn about it through the lens of this woman's experience.

I really liked Persepolis.  I'd like to watch it again actually.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #322 on: February 01, 2012, 05:25:49 pm »

miles-- they are saying it is completely dumb and everyone else only likes it because it seems fancy, being a french silent movie and all.

I am the only one who saw it before hearing any Hype, so I think my review is pure. It was really funny and good and it's been too long since I had seen a movie that was funny and good without being stupid, and tugged my heartstrings without being something BASED ON THE TRUE HORRIBLE STORY OF RAPED ORPHANS IN THE AMAZON WHO SUFFER DAILY SO THAT YOU CAN DRINK YOUR FAVORITE SODA.

They all preferred various Serious movies, and frankly, I am just sick of movies I have to psych myself up to watch.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #323 on: February 03, 2012, 02:11:03 am »

They all preferred various Serious movies, and frankly, I am just sick of movies I have to psych myself up to watch.

That is how I feel about movies all the time. Except, today, I watched one on purpose, because Netflix recommended it for me in four different categories (drama, comedy, foreign, and sci-fi/fantasy) and also in the general "recommended for you" slot. I can't figure out exactly what's sci-fi/fantasy about it, but the rest of the categories are true, and it is quite excellent.

It's called Castaway on the Moon. Anyone else seen it? It's on Netflix streaming, for those who have that and want to check it out.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #324 on: February 03, 2012, 02:22:37 am »

They're on the moon and you're asking what's sci-fi about it?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #325 on: February 03, 2012, 02:39:18 am »

They are not really on the moon. It's a metaphor.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #326 on: February 05, 2012, 12:09:52 pm »

A trailer for a movie about indie game makers. Looks interesting.
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #327 on: February 07, 2012, 05:00:25 pm »

miles-- they are saying it is completely dumb and everyone else only likes it because it seems fancy, being a french silent movie and all.

I am the only one who saw it before hearing any Hype, so I think my review is pure. It was really funny and good and it's been too long since I had seen a movie that was funny and good without being stupid, and tugged my heartstrings without being something BASED ON THE TRUE HORRIBLE STORY OF RAPED ORPHANS IN THE AMAZON WHO SUFFER DAILY SO THAT YOU CAN DRINK YOUR FAVORITE SODA.

They all preferred various Serious movies, and frankly, I am just sick of movies I have to psych myself up to watch.

I saw The Artist this weekend and thought it was perfectly charming.  With all my training in regard to directing and acting and such, it was the sort of movie I could appreciate both for its craft and as a film and that's a rare thing.  

I guess what you and your friends are getting at is an aesthetic argument about the purpose of art:  is the role of art to mirror society or shape it?  That’s an eternal debate.  I lean heavily on the side of mirror, and believe that the furthest art must go is to ask questions, rather than give answers. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 05:04:25 pm by side_show »
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #328 on: February 07, 2012, 05:21:31 pm »

Will do. You can watch the "trailer" here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/LorienGreen/going-cardboard-a-board-game-documentary-0

Hey Cort, did anything happen with this? It says that backers are supposed to get updates - did you every get any? I can't find anything on wiki or imdb.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #329 on: February 07, 2012, 06:17:25 pm »

Hey Cort, did anything happen with this? It says that backers are supposed to get updates - did you every get any? I can't find anything on wiki or imdb.

Yeah, the most recent update was last week, actually. Here's the important part: This morning I sent the DVD master off to the production facility.  The editing and DVD menuing are DONE. :)  They'll create a proof copy, throw that back at me, and if it's good to go, they start printing.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35   Go Up