Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Irish Nachos are a charming take on the original, but I wonder what Uighur Nachos would be like. A mutton leg on a crisped pita?

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 96896 times)

0 Members and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #345 on: February 16, 2012, 07:30:44 am »

I remember certain feminists took serious issue with the movie.  I went into it with with my feminist critique ready and didn't really agree. I believe an empowered women can take pleasure in a submissive sexual experience if consent is present and communication is good.  Some feminists wouldn't agree with that basic concept, where as my own experience has proven otherwise to me.  Yet I guess the argument would be made that all women, including me, are products of a rape culture and therefore fail to see domination as abuse 100% of the time.  Like I said, I don't agree.  It's a complex issue, and I guess the movie failed (to me) in that it is in some ways an issue movie and it is making a point.  I always rather art isn't about making a point so much as striving to achieve verisimilitude, so it boils down to personal aesthetics in the end.  Aaaaand I've used up my quota of $5 words for the day. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #346 on: February 16, 2012, 03:25:13 pm »

So where I work we have a theater in the camp. This week they are playing Secretary. Who greenlit that decision? Masturbation, nudity, cutting, sadomasochism . . . yeah, that oughta go ok.

Maybe they meant to say Secretariat instead?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #347 on: February 16, 2012, 04:38:59 pm »

I kind of wanted to think that, but they actually had the movie poster in the email, complete with the reference to sadomasochism. Well, that and the picture of Maggie Gyllenhaal with a bit in her mouth (yes please).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #348 on: February 17, 2012, 12:37:11 am »

I guess I need to actually see this so I can further comment in this thread.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Mr Trout

  • Lyle
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 65528
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 493
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #349 on: February 17, 2012, 01:47:21 am »

I love Secretary. It's rare to see a sober portrayal of S&M in a movie where the characters aren't written to be freaks (in a bad way) or criminals.

In that vein I saw Graphic Sexual Horror a few months ago. It's a fascinating documentary about a Carnegie Mellon professor who starts up a pioneering bondage website in his spare time. It is then investigated by the FBI which results in it's eventual closure (even though it wasn't engaged in any illegal activities, the FBI is able to pressure Visa et al. into shutting down the website's merchant accounts).

Continuing on the theme I watched Conspiritors of Pleasure for maybe the sixth time. I love watching it with new friends and seeing their reactions to it. If you've never see a Svankmajer film before it's a great introduction. The movie portrays several people with absurd fetishes that completely cross the line and become hilarious. I love it because I feel that most people take sex waaaaay too seriously, when it is an inherently ridiculous and silly thing to do with another person (or persons).

Currently I have Marquis in the queue (mainly because of this VERY NSFW gif). How could a movie about the Marquis de Sade with a talking c*ck possibly disappoint?
Logged

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #350 on: February 17, 2012, 01:52:38 am »

Oh! I just clicked on the link and saw it also has James Spader! He plays "depraved and twisted, yet strangely compelling and attractive" so well. I'm sure he's perfect for the role.

I might have to see this.

We watched half of Story of O but found it too dated (from a visual standpoint) to take seriously. I would like to read the book, though.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #351 on: February 17, 2012, 05:13:58 am »

I just want to make sure I am clear on what I just saw.  That was a dude with a pig face and a cartoonishly large c*ck fuck*ng a wall and the wall wakes up and is all "what's up?"  Is that what I just saw?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #352 on: February 17, 2012, 05:59:53 am »

Well, it didn't look like a pig to me but yeah.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #353 on: February 18, 2012, 05:59:26 pm »

I'd say a dog mask - with floppy ears.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #354 on: February 18, 2012, 06:11:40 pm »

He was doing the wall asleep style.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #355 on: February 19, 2012, 05:01:15 am »

I'd say a dog mask - with floppy ears.

Kinda like this dude.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #356 on: February 22, 2012, 02:27:47 pm »

being elmo: a puppeteers journey-this is one hell of a heartwarming movie.  kevin clash is an amazing, dedicated, single-minded guy.  bonus fact: it never computed with me that fleece was such an uncommon fabric.  then i realized that most of it is probably man made nowadays. derp.

the debt- an espionage thriller.  helen mirren and tom wilkenson play retired mossad agents who have a thirty year old secret that needs to be buried.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #357 on: February 22, 2012, 04:21:07 pm »

I remember wanting to see that first one.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #358 on: February 22, 2012, 08:52:08 pm »

the debt- an espionage thriller.  helen mirren and tom wilkenson play retired mossad agents who have a thirty year old secret that needs to be buried.

I love everything she's done.  She could even save a silly assed movie like Red.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #359 on: February 23, 2012, 04:21:02 am »

She always brings her 'A' game, no matter the quality of the film.

Oh, you knew exactly what that was going to be.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 35   Go Up