Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood My bicycle is parked in the living room. A tub of tartar sauce sits open on the counter. Truly, the evidence of a wife being away too long.

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 97150 times)

0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #375 on: April 04, 2012, 12:45:33 pm »

Sleuth (1972)

With Michael Caine and Sir Laurence Olivier. First time I see Olivier in anything. Amazing movie with an outstanding last scene. It's based on a play so you know it's wordy, but good wordy. It's set-up with all the tropes of amateur sleuth stories: there's a criminal mind at play, cat and penis games with the police, fake and real murders etc, but what really made it fascinating for me to watch was the undercurrent of class/age warfare, as one of the leads (Caine) is a young, attractive ladies-man from humble origins and the other (Olivier) is a rich old man whose days of womanizing are over. From the instant they meet the barbs start flying, and it never lets up. They're the only two actors appearing in the movie, and they have at it with a lot of zip and dash (get out, Cornelius)

The story is more twisty than an epileptic octopus, but it all feels taut and organic. Olivier is very fun to watch, but It's Caine who carries the emotional weight, as very early in the movie he starts realizing that he might as well be fighting for his life. Anyway, talking about it too much might spoil it - great movie, lots of fun.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 01:01:25 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Jaded Tersk

  • Chucklebot
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 49
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 166
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #376 on: April 04, 2012, 04:27:05 pm »

Logged

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #377 on: April 04, 2012, 06:29:43 pm »

I've not seen that one, but it's one that I've always thought I would like.  Quick, the the Netflix queue!

Oh, and I finally saw Secretary. I had already seen it and loved it.  I think I was mistaking it for a different movie.  What is the movie where two sick fucks hire this girl and they have some kind of bet about who was going to fuck her first, or something like that?

Edit: Aw man, Sleuth is unavailable.  Bitches!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #378 on: April 04, 2012, 08:10:22 pm »

i just saw a dangerous method

what?  another movie directed by david cronenberg that stars viggo mortensen?
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #379 on: April 04, 2012, 08:31:02 pm »

Edit: Aw man, Sleuth is unavailable.  Bitches!

I see kids these days don't download anymore, is that right?
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #380 on: April 05, 2012, 02:05:40 am »

I see kids these days don't download anymore, is that right?

I'm a hypocrite because I've done it, but I actually believe in paying for my entertainment.

I'm not so head up right at this particular moment to go to the effort.  Maybe later.  Then again, maybe later Netflix will have it.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #381 on: April 25, 2012, 11:41:58 pm »

Just saw "Blue Collar". I'd link, but I'm on my phone and waiting for a date, so I don't want to get all complicated. Yaphet Kotto, Harvey Keitel, and Richard Pryor. Not a comedy. Paul, if you haven't seen it, I will point out that Captain Beefheart sings on the soundtrack. However, I kind of think we talked about it before. It was pretty good.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #382 on: May 02, 2012, 05:47:29 am »

I saw "A Woman is a Woman" something like a year ago and I still can't stop thinking about it. There is a particular type of movies made between the 40s and the 60s, influenced by neorealism but willing to play with things in a way that neorealism didn't, that I can't get enough of. Dang ol' netflix does not have any other French New Wave stuff, at least not that I can see.

Whoa, like, the moment at 1:25 or so in this awesome scene when he brushes the dirt off his feet when he gets in bed. I do that! No one ever does stuff like that in movies. Everyone in this movie is so cool and stylish and it's funny and... just great.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:57:29 am by theinevitable »
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #383 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:10 am »

Just saw In Bruges, I think for the first time since I saw it in the cinemas. So good.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #384 on: May 02, 2012, 06:45:20 pm »

when he brushes the dirt off his feet when he gets in bed. I do that!

I do that too.  I wonder if that means we should sweep our bedrooms more often.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #385 on: May 02, 2012, 09:15:28 pm »

Just saw Bridesmaids, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and Paranormal Activity 2. Some fun stuff in there. No French neorealism available at the DVD kiosk.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #386 on: May 02, 2012, 09:33:45 pm »

Quote
I do that too.  I wonder if that means we should sweep our bedrooms more often.

a big ol YUP.

as well as the rest of the house.


And Nabu, it's French New Wave vs Italian Neorealism. Not sure what you'd get if you look for French Neorealism. *pushes glasses up nose, snorts*
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #387 on: May 02, 2012, 09:39:20 pm »

You know, I got on a kick where all I watched was French and Italian stuff from the 50s and 60s, and I have to say some of that shit was fantastic and some was awful, but the snobs all thought all of it was great. I'm convinced that the whole thing is a giant circle-jerk.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #388 on: May 03, 2012, 12:23:36 am »

I'm convinced that the whole thing is a giant circle-jerk.

I'm sure most artistic endeavors could be described as such.

In fact, when alien anthropologists study modern western civilization, this will be the concluding line to at least one paper on the subject.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #389 on: May 03, 2012, 12:39:53 am »

So when you don't like something it's a snobby circle-jerk? Maybe some people just like things you don't like?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 35   Go Up