Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
The tip jar is broken, but Wombat will entertain bribe offers, assuming she can find this edit screen again.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 97041 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #390 on: May 03, 2012, 12:53:13 am »

So when you don't like something it's a snobby circle-jerk? Maybe some people just like things you don't like?

Ever think that both are possible?  Some art is most certainly a snobby circle jerk. Other times there is art that takes a significant amount of aesthetic knowledge to understand.  Other times it's a snobby circle jerk that takes a significant amount of aesthetic knowledge to understand. 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #391 on: May 03, 2012, 01:51:52 am »

As usual Smells has it exactly right.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #392 on: May 03, 2012, 02:27:35 am »

I think I'm more with Miles. What does it even mean to call something a "circle-jerk?" Just seems like a way to dismiss something you aren't into, that other people are into. Are art cars a circle-jerk? Pro sports? Indie music? Pug GIFS?
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #393 on: May 03, 2012, 03:33:20 am »

I think I'm more with Miles. What does it even mean to call something a "circle-jerk?" Just seems like a way to dismiss something you aren't into, that other people are into. Are art cars a circle-jerk? Pro sports? Indie music? Pug GIFS?

Nah, it's just a smug way to dismiss the lousy stuff that you like.  Cause all the stuff that you like sucks.  And only bad people like you like it.

And you suck.

Sucker.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #394 on: May 03, 2012, 03:38:10 am »

I was going to get into how my point was being missed but who has got time for that? I like a lot of those movies (as I said).
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #395 on: May 03, 2012, 04:32:00 am »

I bet there is an art car called The Circle Jerk.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #396 on: May 03, 2012, 06:59:13 am »

The circle-jerk wasn't the movies, it was the criticism.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #397 on: May 03, 2012, 09:36:16 am »

I know. My point still stands.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #398 on: May 03, 2012, 12:48:34 pm »

I was going to get into how my point was being missed but who has got time for that?

The thread-wander eventually happens to all of us.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #399 on: May 03, 2012, 12:53:43 pm »

the band called circle jerks arent as good as people have made them out to be.

Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #400 on: May 03, 2012, 02:49:42 pm »

Hugh Hefner: Playboy, Activist and Rebel.

Now that was a weird late night find. Taking it's angle with a grain of salt but still food for thought. Never would have linked Playboy with the civil rights movement for instance.

Also watching Gene Simmons trying to make political arguments is hilarious.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #401 on: May 03, 2012, 05:30:59 pm »

Gene Simmons is political as hell. Of course, he only has the one issue, but still.

I do wonder if he even cared about music when he was like six years old, or if it was about getting paid all the way back then.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #402 on: May 03, 2012, 07:02:18 pm »

Gene Simmons is political as hell. Of course, he only has the one issue, but still.

I do wonder if he even cared about music when he was like six years old, or if it was about getting paid all the way back then.

If there was a way to be a cynical, mercenary, sexist pig shithead in the womb, Gene Simmons would have found it.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #403 on: May 04, 2012, 08:19:52 am »

Well, we're on the same page, anyway.
 
Watched the new Wonka and a flick called Chronicle on the plane. I guess I can't really say anything great about either one, so I'll just leave it at that.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

pmcd9

  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #404 on: May 04, 2012, 01:26:53 pm »

I bet there is an art car called The Circle Jerk.

Not that I'm aware of, but there was an artcar in this hilariously bad video for a band named D.O.A.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 35   Go Up