Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Trains are saying "hello".  All this time, we just snub them.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Some movies I just saw  (Read 96943 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #420 on: June 06, 2012, 07:17:40 pm »

The Cave of Forgotten Dreams http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1664894/

It's Werner Herzog, so you know you're in for some pretty melodramatic, unintentionally hilarious faux-philosophizing passing off as high-brow art, but the subject matter itself is endlessly fascinating. They found a cave decorated with the oldest pictorial art ever recorded (32.000 years old). Let me spoil the movie for you by saying that the drawings are really fantastic and eminently elegant and modern. Yes, we all know how Picasso sucked on old stone teats so that's no news either. Still - the movie really made me feel the abyss of time stretching forever behind me. 32.000 years ago some homo sapiens cats with some free time in their hands painted some walls with coal from burned out torches, mud and whatever else was available and then everybody became dust and bones, sealed off in a dark cave along with a bunch of prehistoric mammals.

Pass the dutchie, old man.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:21:30 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #421 on: June 07, 2012, 12:12:39 am »

Her shoot out scene in Kick-Ass was the only time I ever saw a group of dudes stand up and applaud in a home theater room environment.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #422 on: July 25, 2012, 01:00:33 pm »

C'mon, people, stop pretending you didn't see the Dark Knight Rises. It's getting ridiculous.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #423 on: July 25, 2012, 02:17:29 pm »

batman films, best to worst:

The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman (1966)
Batman (1989)
Batman Forever
Batman Returns
Batman & Robin

OPINIONS ARE SUBJECTIVE AND THIS IS MINE
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #424 on: July 25, 2012, 02:55:04 pm »

C'mon, people, stop pretending you didn't see the Dark Knight Rises. It's getting ridiculous.

batman films, best to worst:

The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman (1966)
Batman (1989)
Batman Forever
Batman Returns
Batman & Robin

OPINIONS ARE SUBJECTIVE AND THIS IS MINE

I haven't seen a damn one of them.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #425 on: July 25, 2012, 03:33:39 pm »

i understand not enjoying films. i understand not enjoying batman. i understand lack of interest in batman films. i do not share these three factors with you.

pray tell, what kind of films do you enjoy
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #426 on: July 25, 2012, 05:05:24 pm »

i used to have them flipped but then heath ledger ruined jack nicholson's joker for me. '66 is just so much fun, so silly.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #427 on: July 25, 2012, 05:38:36 pm »

Jack Nicholson will always be THE Joker for me, even if all he was in that movie was Jack Nicholson - just an asshole having fun.
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #428 on: July 25, 2012, 05:58:01 pm »

i understand not enjoying films. i understand not enjoying batman. i understand lack of interest in batman films. i do not share these three factors with you.

pray tell, what kind of films do you enjoy

I'm not cracking on them, really.  I don't think I had realized that I hadn't seen any until I saw your list.

I don't know what it is.  Lately my attention span seems to have shortened to the point where I don't have the patience to sit through an entire movie.  Most pop culture holds less and less interest for me these days (which isn't a comment on myself, not the pop culture).  Superhero movies have never done much for me (haven't seen any of the Spiderman movies either.)  And Batman (and DC in general) was never a favorite comic.

Sometimes I feel like I'm turning into Red Foreman.

Sometimes I think it's that I'd rather be doing something than watching something.  Note that this extends to all forms of media, including books.  And my tastes are increasingly turning towards non-fiction.

I go to about one movie a year at the theater.  Last one was Hunger Games, which was OK.  Before that it might have been Watchmen.  Both were because daughters wanted to go.

I can't think of any movies that I'm dying to see right now, or even halfway motivated to go see.  

MOVIES THAT I WILL ALWAYS STOP TO WATCH WHEN I AM CHANNEL SURFING:
In no particular order

Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Any Python
Patton
The Longest Day
His Girl Friday
Lawrence of Arabia
Stripes
Animal House
Godfather (I and II)
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Cool Hand Luke
Fight Club
A Christmas Story
Apocalypse Now
Dr. Strangelove
Chinatown
2001
Groundhog Day
Outlaw Josey Wales
Little Big Man

I don't know...  


Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #429 on: July 25, 2012, 10:18:55 pm »

i never thought you were cracking on them, that was the point of my three sentences of understanding. sarcasm wasn't my intent, if that's how it came off.

your daughters have mediocre taste in films. your surfing list is pretty good, though; i have a very hard time turning on a movie if i've missed the beginning, so i don't do much of that. one exception: blade runner. i've seen three different edits, each several times, with and without commercials, and every time i happen upon it on hbo or wgn or wherever i still find something new. a subtle movement or pronunciation or background detail that only strengthens the world of the film.

the best part of these batman films by chris nolan &co. are that they aren't about batman, really; he layers in the subtext to provide meditations on maturity (bruce), enablism (alfred), contentment (rachel), virtue (dent), fear (scarecrow), chaos (joker), pain (bane), and honesty (gordon). they're just wrapped up in this action setting with crazy costumes.

oh: and the dark knight is one of the best films i've EVER seen. EVER.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #430 on: August 06, 2012, 02:54:17 am »

Saw Dark Knight Rises today, it was good, but not great.  It was worth seeing in a theatre, but a tad on the forgettable side. 

I could really not decipher what the actor playing Bane was saying at a couple of points.  I've mentioned elsewhere that I have some hearing damage from too many rock concerts in my youth, but this is the first time in a movie theatre with surround sound that I genuinely couldn't clearly hear what was being said.  Apparently I'm not the only one who had this problem. There are several places online where people are having arguments about this, calling people stupid for not understanding...  It's pretty lame.  This is about garbled sound and possibly poor diction, not about comprehension.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

dejavroom

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • -=Ray=-
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 165
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1362
  • confused and angry
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #431 on: August 06, 2012, 06:03:47 pm »

Saw it too. Suppose it's real hard to write a genius when you're just an average dunderhead, so Nolan's Batman is not by any measure the mastermind from the comics. Once I accepted that, I found much to like in the movie. I remember reading an article saying that a real-world Batman would last 6-8 years tops due to occupational hazards, and the movie takes this notion and uses it to make a way more compelling character than the usual "things revert to how they were until next week's/month's installment". The guy from aintitcoolnews is foaming at the mouth because this Batman is not the empty shell fit for wish-fulfillment fantasies of emotionally stunted boys (instead showing actual feeling for a lady he lost), but as someone who has had actual meaningful relationships with women I prefer it this way. Bat-dude got relatable, someone you can imagine bonding over beers instead of a joyless authority figure who would knock your ass for so much as blazing up a doobie.

But how's this for irony? The fights and the action in this action movie were lame and boring but I really liked the relationships between the characters (I even liked Bane's big reveal at the end, the actor sold it really well with those longing stares). Dude, Batman nails Catwoman while a nuke device goes off in the horizon, what's not to like (ok it wasn't really like that but c'mon)?

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S
Spoilery bonus tracks, you have been warned:

- Really really liked Bruce Wayne's tombstone beside his parents' and the establishment of the home for orphans. A very fitting end for that life.
- Don't understand they missed the chance of ending the movie with the new guy watching over the city, would have been epicous.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:11:26 pm by dejavroom »
Logged
The absurdity is veiled by the poetic charm with which the poet invests it.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #432 on: November 15, 2012, 05:05:55 pm »

Just saw This Must Be the Place and what struck me most was that the tone of the film reminded me of Achewood at it's best.  It's a flim right on the edge of melencholy and absurdity.  I really, really enjoyed it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #433 on: December 14, 2012, 09:56:25 pm »

I think that flow chart just convinced me of the fact I don't want to see that movie.  That shit smacks of tedium to me.  I didn't want to see the other three either though, and I had nice naps I paid too much for during each of those.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Some movies I just saw
« Reply #434 on: December 14, 2012, 10:23:21 pm »

From the reviews I've read, this is the kind of movie that inspires people to great heights of bad reviews.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35   Go Up