That is a good POV, I just wish they were introducing more new characters. I would love to see people being wrapped into the story that give hints of what life is like in the rest of the galaxy. The suggestion in TFA that the younger characters thought that the Jedi, Luke etc were all a myth was awesome and I want them to build on that.
This makes me think that maybe the reason I loved this movie so much and that a lot of the criticisms don't bother me is that I just want more and more worldbuilding. Variations on the original trilogy with new characters and interesting planets and space ships sounds pretty good.
Speaking of which, almost done re-watching Eric Rohmer's "Six Moral Tales." Roger Ebert called the last two some of the best movies he has ever seen, so I feel a little less like a weirdo now. In each movie a guy is tempted to stray from his lady and in the end has to decide-- do I go for it or not?
In between there are a lot of great little conversations, nice shots of Paris, tons of beautiful 1960s women, etc.
My favorite, though, might be the first. The Bakery Girl of Monceau. Searching the streets of Paris for his ideal woman, a student stops in at the same bakery every day to get his lunch. He starts flirting with the cute girl behind the counter, and considers "settling" for her. But will he? 15 minutes, charming, wonderful. The later films in the series are feature-length and might be "better" but take themselves way more seriously.