Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood "Awww yeah who is CATHOLIC up in this piece?!?!" -- you never hear that any more.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: It's A Virtual Costume Party!  (Read 22272 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2010, 02:30:06 am »

Actually, if you went as Sam Beckett-as-a-lady and then your fella went as Captain Archer from ENTERPRISE, that'd be Full Geek Win.

There has got to be a Bakula-related pun here.

Actually, we have a little joke about Captain Archer becoming a vampire..."I'm Bakula...Scott...Bakula..." Maybe I should go as Beckett dressed as Archer pretending to be a vampire. That would be awesome.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2010, 02:42:54 am »

One of these days I'm going to steal the Count Spocula idea from Basic Instructions.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2010, 02:48:17 am »

Yeah.

Some day I'm gonna bust out with a Benjamin Franklinstein.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

JorgeFabregas

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 93
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1227
  • I was impressed.
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2010, 02:53:28 am »

The Onion once had a Scott Bakula mask (with fangs) that you could print out. I'm not sure if it was also in the print version.
Logged
And we know who we should love. But we're never certain how.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2010, 02:53:39 am »

Quote
Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010, 03:24:54 am »

You should watch 30 Rock. It is quite possibly the best-written show on television right now. I have recently (this week?) gotten hooked on it and now Pedro is giving me a hard time because I neglected (refused?) to watch it for the first 4 years it was on.

On the other hand, feel free to not watch any tv at all. Please.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 04:30:54 am »

Sadly, I'm going as a petroleum engineer again.

I wish I had checked here before I bought all the shit for this costume on eBay.
Logged

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 12:26:01 pm »

On the other hand, feel free to not watch any tv at all. Please.

I have no problem with a certain amount of TV, and I am sure that if JL says that show is funny and well written, that is true. But with keeping up the Colbert and the Daily Show, and all the shows I watch on the Japanese channel with shows in English and no commercials, and even though TV is a good way to keep myself from jumping out the window while working on the references for my book at the same time, I don't have time for any more TV shows.

But, you know, there are DVDs, and like a friend of mine says, you have to save something to watch when you are old and in the nursing home.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 12:54:44 pm »

Oh, yes. I do all of my television watching on Netflix Instant or DVD when I am otherwise engaged in something mundane -- folding laundry is a big one, or tidying up the living room/kitchen, or knitting from a pattern that requires a lot of plain stockinette.

There is no room in my life for being in front of the TV at a certain time on a certain night. I am all about the time-shifting, even if the shift can be measured in years (or decades). I was just saying, if you ever find something wanting in your television-watching experience, 30 Rock is extremely worthwhile.

When I was in college, I was extremely self-righteous about not owning a TV, but the end result was that I turned to the internet for entertainment and became a 'net junkie and obsessive gamer. At the time, I would have argued that computers are superior to television because of their interactive nature, but now I realize that that's bullshit and that there's about the same ratio of signal to noise in both places.

TL; DR -- Good TV is good.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 02:42:59 pm »

...but now I realize that that's bullshit and that there's about the same ratio of signal to noise in both places.

I'm not sure I follow your argument here.  Do you stay away from television because of the poor signal to noise ratio or because it's a huge time suck or because most of it really blows?  Is the internet a huge time suck because of the poor signal to noise ratio or because of the infinite choices and instant availability?
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2010, 03:07:39 pm »

I was just thinking the other day about how the lady and I are in the process of watching way too many things at once. The list of movies/shows I am not allowed to finish watching without her is getting silly.

I watch Mad Men every week, as soon as it airs if possible. If I have work late on sunday I watch it monday online. (Illegally.)
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 03:27:37 pm »

I'm not sure I follow your argument here.  Do you stay away from television because of the poor signal to noise ratio or because it's a huge time suck or because most of it really blows?  Is the internet a huge time suck because of the poor signal to noise ratio or because of the infinite choices and instant availability?

I try to stay away from things that suck regardless of their media format. Now that I'm well out of my pretentious college phase, I watch TV and goof around on the internet in roughly equal measure.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2010, 03:32:10 pm »

to be fair, though, I am having trouble thinking of a good reason to own a TV when you watch all of your television shows on DVD/hulu/whatever.

I own a TV, but I think I could count the number of times I have used it without having to move on to toes.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2010, 03:50:32 pm »

Teevee is still cheaper/less work if you're just looking for a piffle to watch in the background.

Hulu and DVD and thisFlix and thatBox are great for things you wanna study in detail but...

For when you just wanna leave a cooking show or a ballgame or a cartoon on in the background while you're eating or chilling out, teevee is still the go-to delivery platform.

And there's something still wonderful about the anticipation of a certain timeslot when there's something you're really into seeing first run.

Late Sunday afternoon, for me, becomes like a damn countdown if there's a new Venture Brothers, for example, and that's a wonderful feeling.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 04:21:34 pm »

i hate watching movies and shows on my computer, even though it has a gorgeous 17" display.  id rather watch it on my TV.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up