Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood I once had the idea that, if only for a moment each night, everyone in the world was asleep at the same time. It made the world manageable.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: It's A Virtual Costume Party!  (Read 22379 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 04:31:39 pm »

I should have specificied TV as it is originally broadcast, and Jamie straightened that point out for me. I don't really watch regular TV even on the internet or what-have-you. I watch rebroadcasts on the plane (sometimes), because I'm stuck in the ol' giant metal tube. The only TV shows I've been watching lately are Boondocks, Trailer Park Boys, and League of Gentlemen. Other than that, it's just football. I don't know if it's my weird schedule, but I just can't afford the time investment.

On a related note: Good on you denizens here with kids. I don't have any, and I think all I'd have time to do for them if I did have them is pitch them a rawhide bone and fresh straw once a day.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2010, 04:41:50 pm »

I will say this for broadcast TV: PBS kids has some good shit going on.

It's nice to know I can get some quality time with my kids from 4 to 5 every day by turning on Sesame Street and snuggling on the couch with them while they watch it. My son gets home from school at 4 and he's too tired and wound up to do anything else just then, so we have cookies and apple juice and talk about what Grover is doing this week and it's just a really nice time.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 05:22:38 pm »

My son gets home from school at 4 and he's too tired and wound up to do anything else just then, so we have cookies and apple juice and talk about what Grover is doing this week and it's just a really nice time.

I'm like this when I get off the Slope. My wife is so sick of talking about Grover.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 05:28:10 pm »

Squidbillies, Curb Your Enthusiasm and sports are about it for me these days.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 05:31:45 pm »

I have something like 60 season passes on my Tivo. And I live alone.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2010, 05:44:17 pm »

Quote from: Nabubrush
My wife is so sick of talking about Grover.

The moment when a child realizes Grover and Yoda are basically the same voice is IMPORTANT.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

smick

  • -=Ray=-
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1351
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1437
  • MasturBot 342: ONLINE
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2010, 10:07:09 pm »

On a related note: Good on you denizens here with kids. I don't have any, and I think all I'd have time to do for them if I did have them is pitch them a rawhide bone and fresh straw once a day.

I've tried to do that, however at 14, he's larger than I am now by a fair amount.  Luckily we have a supergood relationship, otherwise the balance of power would be shifting!
Logged

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2010, 08:00:47 pm »

Pet Peeve:  the local costume shop put out a flier with about 150 costumes for ladies.  They were all "slutty + easily recognizable career or character = Halloween costume."  This pisses me off.  I love Halloween for its ties to its hard edge, pre-Christian roots: fear, other-worldliness, demons and death.  The only thing about being slutty that is remotely scary is the potential for catching an STI, but there's a cream or pill for most of those these days (we're talking mild annoyance and discomfort).   I'm not saying there's anything wrong with airing out your inner slut every so often, but I'm telling you there wasn't a single actually Halloween-y costume on the entire flier for women.  They were all sexualized versions of what you'd expect:  nurse, police officer, wench, old time-y saloon hooker... The men's section had a goodly amount of non-sexualized choices, but for the ladies it was totally "these are my tits.  PS, I'm a bunny."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2010, 08:20:30 pm »

if we could get away with it, most guys would just dress crazy slutty on Halloween tooall the damn time
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2010, 08:23:22 pm »

The interesting thing is that the few times people try to be Halloween Scary AND Halloween Slutty, it almost never works.

I've seen people try to pull off Sexy Zombie.

Somehow it fails at both goals, almost always.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2010, 08:23:54 pm »

Pet Peeve:  the local costume shop put out a flier with about 150 costumes for ladies.  They were all "slutty + easily recognizable career or character = Halloween costume."  This pisses me off.  I love Halloween for its ties to its hard edge, pre-Christian roots: fear, other-worldliness, demons and death.  The only thing about being slutty that is remotely scary is the potential for catching an STI, but there's a cream or pill for most of those these days (we're talking mild annoyance and discomfort).   I'm not saying there's anything wrong with airing out your inner slut every so often, but I'm telling you there wasn't a single actually Halloween-y costume on the entire flier for women.  They were all sexualized versions of what you'd expect:  nurse, police officer, wench, old time-y saloon hooker... The men's section had a goodly amount of non-sexualized choices, but for the ladies it was totally "these are my tits.  PS, I'm a bunny."


I think the best costume for a lady is Kali.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2010, 09:12:16 pm »

Kali is pretty rad.  I actually have a hand carved Hindu demon mask, with gold leaf and sticking out tongue and all, and thusly inspired, I think maybe I will wear that to hand out candy to the trick or treaters, and just, like, grunt and pant in response to any conversation.  That could be fun.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 09:16:35 pm »

Kali is pretty rad.  I actually have a hand carved Hindu demon mask, with gold leaf and sticking out tongue and all, and thusly inspired, I think maybe I will wear that to hand out candy to the trick or treaters, and just, like, grunt and pant in response to any conversation.  That could be fun.

You aren't currently trick-or-treating, but you get a can just the same.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2010, 10:45:15 pm »

Sexy Big Bird Costume

I wish I were joking.

In related news, I am thrilled to announce that poor body image is not just for women anymore. They're now making Spanx for Men! Feminism is a success in one respect, I guess -- we're all equally ashamed of our appearance.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: It's A Virtual Costume Party!
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2010, 10:54:33 pm »

You know, even if I were single and had the money, I wouldn't wear guy-Spanx but not because I don't have problems with my body image. I totally do. I hate that I'm heavy. I hate goddamned looking in mirrors. It is one of the ways I am not stereotypically male, I am acutely and painfully aware that I am not conventionally attractive.

However, I think that a temporary shaping undergarment would just make me feel worse not better because at the end of the day, you have to get naked to fuck and...

I guess in my mind, that's the situation I would really wanna BE conventionally attractive so it still wouldn't do me any good.

It'd just make me feel worse.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up