Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Metallica would be a lot less powerful if they ended every show by reciting the ABCs.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nudity and the boss  (Read 4216 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Nudity and the boss
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:41:32 pm »

Would you want your boss to see you naked?

Would you want to see your boss naked?

Would you want to shower with your boss every day before work?

This is a problem I have run into.  I run 5 days a week in the morning before work.  It is an important part of my self care routine.  My boss has recently started walking on the track or swimming at around the exact same time at the same gym.  In spite of my attempts to time things differently, it seems to be constantly working out that she and I are arriving at the showers at the same time.  The shower is public, with little opportunity for any sort of privacy.  Pervious to this situation, I have had no issue with strangers seeing me nude, but there is something about the power balance of her being my boss that makes me uncomfortable.  I strongly desire not to see her nude, or her to see me nude.
 
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9820
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:04:37 pm »

I certainly would not want to see my boss naked. That would be worse than the 65-year-old guy we see every day in his bike shorts
Logged

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 05:17:44 pm »

I can understand this. I'd like to see my boss nude, but not in any situation that it would be likely to occur in the real world.

Also, solid topic!
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 06:09:14 pm »

I'm not moved one way or another by the thought.  Ive known my boss for a long time - if we were to cross paths at the gym I'm sure it would be standard locker room behavior.

Grownups don't snap each other's butts with towels.  At least, that's not our corporate culture :)
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 06:19:33 pm »

nosireebobski. i'd be changing gyms and if my boss followed me with a gym switch i'd be lawyering up and talking to HR.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 06:29:09 pm »

I would actually prefer not to see anyone that I work with naked, not just the boss.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 06:37:06 pm »

I would actually prefer not to see anyone that I work with naked, not just the boss.

I thought you were self-employed!

I would like to see my boss naked.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 06:53:07 pm »

I thought you were self-employed!

Actually I also have a part-time job at the moment, but I'm not so crazy about how my self-employed boss looks naked, now that you mention it.

I was also thinking back on previous situations. I have had a few jobs where there were showers on the premises and have seen a couple of co-workers sort of half naked and, really, if you don't like them it's awkward and if you do like them it's possibly even more awkward.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 06:54:35 pm »

Speaking of the self-employed part - I have done work for quite a number of people who I have never seen either naked or clothed.  I don't think it's necessary to go to that extreme, though.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 07:25:33 pm »

Yeah, actually wombat is right - I would rather not see anyone I work with naked, boss included. 

My boss is a wonderful lady.  She's about 20 yrs older than me.  She would probably laugh at me if I told her this was a problem.  She's got a pretty positive attitude about almost everything.

In the reverse, I have about 20 people who I manage, and I would definitely not want to see them nude every day, or have them see me nude. 

Why is this a thing?  I think it has to do with power - everyone's equal in a room of wet, naked strangers, but throw someone you know in, and it's all about measuring up in some way for me I guess.

The interesting thing is that I changed to this gym from my YMCA membership because it was about $350 a year cheaper, but the thing is, people were generally more relaxed about nudity at the YMCA - almost all the ladies were walking around naked, where as at the new gym, most people work pretty hard to stay covered up.  I thought that was just silliness or unnecessary shame, and until I came across my boss, I was one of the maverick few who let it all hang out at the new gym.  I was all "who care's, this is a locker room, and I'm gonna be nude.  I am in the shower, people are naked in the shower."

I'm thinking I need to adjust to what is "normal" for the gander, and start bringing towels the size of bed sheets and "hiding my shame" as they say. 

The thing is, being that I am attracted to woman and men (though happily monogamous with my husband) there is a part of me that wants to check some of the ladies out.  There is an extra layer of appropriate boundaries there for me to confront that is not there for all ladies.  It is vaguely okay to look at a naked stranger and think "is she hot" because it is an anonymous situation with someone I have no personal investment with, where as, I don't even want to go there with women I interact with on a day-to-day basis. 

Nudity.  It's a thing.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 01:01:26 am »

I was talking to a friend at work today, and he was describing how his girlfriend is being psychotic about gym memberships.  She's a student at Stanford, and hence has full access to those (excellent) facilities, but at the risk of "running into someone she knows", she won't go there.  At the same time, she's very stressed out from being in grad school and needs to do something to let off the steam, so she's considering joining some club or another with fancy group exercise classes for $300 a month.  Apparently it isn't even the thought of seeing someone/being seen naked - she doesn't want to be seen sweating, or less than dressed to the nines. Its apparently a thing.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 01:20:50 am »

Grad school can make a person irrational.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2010, 04:55:18 am »

I worked for my Dad for 15 years and I have seen him naked many many times and vice versa.  When I worked in a chemical plant I found my boss very attractive.  I frequently hated her guts, but I wouldn't  have minded seeing her naked.

Beyond that, I want to see everybody naked all the time.

Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 05:16:41 am »

one time my roommate and I almost saw each other naked, and then didn't.

we were at a party where everyone got naked. It was kind of weird to see which of my friends had small dicks. One friend was pretty "well endowed" and seemed very aware of that, and proud.
I was moving towards the point of being drunk enough to get naked when the cops came.

I do not want to see any of my coworkers or bosses naked. I also don't want them to see me naked. At all.

well maybe that one cute one.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: Nudity and the boss
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 05:48:45 am »

Beyond that, I want to see everybody naked all the time.

The one thing I have learned from spending so much time in locker rooms is that people are all pretty nice to look at, including the people you wouldn't think would be necessarily so.  The interesting thing is how much time and effort women put into concealing things that, in the end, fall into a category between "not that bad" and "pretty nice."
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up