Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Today's sad thing: A reeking tweaker couple looking in the gas station freezer for "that pizza that was good in the microwave last time."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: For our own good?  (Read 17381 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 05:52:22 pm »

dear wombat,

i appreciate the research you did for this thread. i used some of the sources you cited that i had not already come across for a paper.

sincerely,

this dude
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 06:03:23 pm »

Alright already, I'll stop using my cell phone while I drive.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 06:44:59 pm »

WIN!!!
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2010, 08:42:33 pm »

You're welcome, gk, and thank you, Paul.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2010, 02:03:03 am »

The police do pull people over here, as it's illegal, and they have police out on the road all the time specifically looking for driving infractions of all sorts.  They give out hefty tickets for cell use- all the heftier if there are other infractions. 
During a panel on the legalization of medical marijuana, the representative from the law enforcement community said 'We're not out on the street looking for people who have a joint, thats not what we do. We have better things to do with our limited resources - like protect from and solve real crimes.

My question is as follows: Is your local community so utopian that every real crime has been prevented and solved and every real criminal has been captured and brought to justice? If so, please enlighten the rest of the world as to how you arrived at that situation. If no, then stop looking for cell phones and get back to looking for the rapists, murderers, and thieves.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2010, 02:04:49 am »

Alright already, I'll stop using my cell phone while I drive.
Does this promise include dialing internet friends from your butt while you drive?
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 02:14:57 am »

If no, then stop looking for cell phones and get back to looking for the rapists, murderers, and thieves.

Which they could do if people would just hang up and drive, instead of believing that they could circumvent the principles of their basic neural circuitry by "trying hard to be careful" and "being smarter than everyone else."



Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2010, 02:43:17 am »

Alright already, I'll stop using my cell phone while I drive.

I will too. I might have to tape a photo of Wombat giving me a stern look to my dashboard, though.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2010, 02:45:49 am »

Perhaps, though, she'd prefer we use a Guilt Pug instead?
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2010, 02:55:14 am »

I'll have to think about what I could come up with for those possibilities. Or you could just buy an Oprah sticker:

Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2010, 02:57:49 am »



Lilly says, Is that a PHONE in your hand?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2010, 02:59:14 am »

PUG IN A BUG? OH MY GUG!
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2010, 03:36:57 am »

Yeah, Oprah posters and whatever thats great, I believe in the mission of getting people to shut up and drive. Where we differ is in the police action.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2010, 04:36:23 am »

oh god, now I'm imagining the future, when teenagers have conversations where they get self-righteous about friends who talk on a phone in/near a car.
"TALKING AND DRIVING KILLS. YOU'RE AN IDIOT."
"wait, guys, have you ever driven a car? do you know anything about this? I... I'm not talking and driving. I am not even close to doing that."
"MY MOM SAID I SHOULD TAKE YOUR KEYS AWAY."

ok this parallel is not working out as well as it does in my head.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: For our own good?
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2010, 04:39:12 am »

"THE PUG BUG TOLD ME IT IS BAD. THAT MAKES YOU BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD!"
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up