Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Education.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid  (Read 8414 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 06:41:44 pm »

You're definitely not a lost cause, but it can be tough to overcome not growing up with all the disadvantages.

I had a friend whose father said when she was trying to decide where to go to grad school, "Just get your first PhD." Like he thought, just worry about it later, I guess.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 07:25:01 pm »

So there are different ways to tie a tie? On the rare occasion I wear one I tie it the way that was in the cub scout handbook circa 1988.

There was a Nature paper about this. That link probably won't give you the whole article unless you're affiliated with a University, but here's the wikipedia article about the book the authors wrote on the same subject.
Logged

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 11:52:42 pm »

No you're not a lost cause at all. You're primed and ready for some action.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 03:52:06 am »

It's one of those lessons that would best serve the people who don't have to learn them. I just got my end of year results back and I was a few percentage points shy of bumping up to the next grade, which I'm sure I could have done if I wasn't working to pay my rent and eat as well as studying, but would I have appreciated the extra time if I hadn't had to work? Probably not, probably would have spent my extra time playing video games or something.
I'm got accommodation at a hospital next year and so I won't have to work (or at least not as much) so I guess we'll see if I've learned anything.

While we're correlating work-ethic vs. tie knowledge I learned how to tie a windsor at age 11 and used it exclusively for years as I'd decided it was the 'proper' way of tying a tie but I've started switching it up with a four in hand because it makes one look less of a prat.
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Victoria Waterfield

  • Molly
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 336
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 739
  • FUCK YOU, MIKE!
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 06:24:42 am »

While we're correlating work-ethic vs. tie knowledge I learned how to tie a windsor at age 11 and used it exclusively for years as I'd decided it was the 'proper' way of tying a tie but I've started switching it up with a four in hand because it makes one look less of a prat.

Oddly enough, of all the tie knots, the Pratt knot is only the fourth most likely to make one look like a prat.
Logged

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 06:46:18 am »

reading these wikipedia pages, I do a four-in-hand. When my dad taught me he apologized that he didn't know how to tie a tie the "grown up" way.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 02:55:41 pm »

 :o

I'm glad I was already sitting down. This whole time I've been tying a Pratt knot, not a half-Windsor.

(Apologies for the smiley, but I'm pretty shaken right now.)
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 06:42:47 pm »

Mom taught me the Half-Windsor, but I also learned the four-in-hand when I was working at the aforementioned restaurant because it was quicker to do while walking from my car to the employee entrance.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

Turbo Ninja

  • A Tall Glass of Tuaca
  • Mr. Bear (Cornelius)
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 125
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 689
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2011, 07:24:08 pm »

My dad taught me the half-Windsor years ago.  But about 15 years back, GQ or Esquire published an item with four different ways to tie your tie.  I tried them all and settled on the Shelby knot, in which you start with the back side of the tie facing out. 

Turns out I've been using the Shelby knot for years without knowing the name.  A Can, fair Mayor, for enlightening me.
Logged

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2011, 08:56:52 pm »

Sounds like more of a.... Shelbyknot thing.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2011, 12:36:25 am »

I tie nothing but a full on windsor. The reason for this is simple, it allows me to not button the top button of my shirt.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2011, 07:00:24 am »

a-cap i used my first full windsor this winter, with a tux and vest, and i couldn't stand it with the top button done. thanks for the tip.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2011, 12:37:46 pm »

A-Cap is subverting the system from within.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2011, 08:03:05 pm »

I was always of the understanding that the full windsor is sort of the king of knots. It's a pretty stout tie, that's for sure.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile
Re: How to tie a tie and some weird thing I did as a kid
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2011, 04:16:49 pm »

Yeah theres like no tail on that kind of knot if you wear the length of the tie down to your belt buckle.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up