Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood Have you ever woken up to find phrases like "cryogenic baseball player" in your Google search field?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Immune System Reset  (Read 9890 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 02:27:34 pm »

We must also remember, when seeking to emulate the lifestyles of our cave-dwelling ancestors, that whey they ate meat, they had to chase it down first. The modern lifestyle doesn't burn half as many calories -- unless maybe you're in the military or something -- so I think we should take that into account when we decide how many pounds of meat we eat in a day.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

miles

  • Stinkfist
  • VIP
  • Ocular Shenanigans
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 10030
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3476
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 02:41:43 pm »

We must also remember, when seeking to emulate the lifestyles of our cave-dwelling ancestors, that whey they ate meat, they had to chase it down first. The modern lifestyle doesn't burn half as many calories -- unless maybe you're in the military or something -- so I think we should take that into account when we decide how many pounds of meat we eat in a day.

Good point, and true for any diet. If you (I) can substantially increase the amount of exercise in your (my) life, you (I) shouldn't have to be consumed with self-loathing when you (I) occasionally (at least once a week) eat a double double animal style with fries.
Logged
Order is indeed the dream of man, but chaos, which is only another word for dumb, blind, witless chance, is still the law of nature. - Wallace Stegner

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 04:38:47 pm »

So let's not go too crazy about the details.

I'm trying not to. There is that natural human tendency (maybe just mine) that steers toward orthodoxy. I'm trying to avoid the mentality of controlling all the little details so that I can control my life and the universe and maybe I won't die someday. So if I eat something that was not available 10,000 years ago it doesn't mean the end of the world. I hope.

But then again: lprkn says "I am not used to buying fresh." There's really the thing. If you aren't buying fresh food, what the heck have you been living on?

Fast food, restaurant food, beer. Things a bachelor with a reasonable amount of disposable income eats. I have been in a military barracks (shitty dorm) for the last six months, so I had no appliances with which to cook anything.

It's just that when you buy a week's worth of food at the store the cost hits you more because it's all at once, rather than spread out, even though it ends up being less money overall.
Logged

jaydub

  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1493
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5056
  • Arrant pedantry
    • View Profile
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 04:46:38 pm »

I was more or less on-board with the paleo idea until someone told me you can't eat dairy on it.  Since I'm "lactase persistent" (most southern ancestors were from 50N latitude), I can (and do) chow on cheese, yogurt, milk and the like all day long.
Logged
If you desire peace, work for justice.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 05:20:33 pm »


Fast food, restaurant food, beer.


Yup. And almost anything cooked at home from raw ingredients will be a step up from that.

Who is it whose line is "don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food"? I think just going that far back would improve nearly everyone's diet, never mind ten thousand years ago.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 05:25:11 pm »

My grandmother served me chicken in aspic once. That . . . wasn't good.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

greenkoolayd

  • VIP
  • Sanryobuki Artificial Liver
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 697
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 2889
  • i make passes at girls who wear glasses.
    • View Profile
    • mi facebook
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 05:31:35 pm »

whoever decided that aspic was a thing a person should eat must have been hard up for a meal.
Logged
"I could tell you the first rule of Spite Club, but I won’t."

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 05:43:47 pm »

Yup. And almost anything cooked at home from raw ingredients will be a step up from that.

Who is it whose line is "don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize as food"? I think just going that far back would improve nearly everyone's diet, never mind ten thousand years ago.

My grandmother was a farm kid who was raised by her father and uncle, neither of whom knew how to cook. She wouldn't recognize as food most of the once-exotic-now-commonplace fresh fruits and vegetables (mangoes, kiwis, avocadoes), not to mention 98% of the stuff on the pages of Bon Appetit. She fed her family fatty beef roasts, mashed potatoes (made with milk straight from the cow), and boiled-to-death lima beans and brussels sprouts about 5 times a week because that's all they could afford.

My OTHER grandmother was, I guess, a pretty good cook, though. Being Catholic in the pre-Vatican II days, they ate LOTS of fresh fried giraffe, caught by my grandfather (who was a great giraffeerman). She still wouldn't know what to do with arugula, though.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

CortJstr

  • Moderator
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 05:48:30 pm »

My OTHER grandmother was, I guess, a pretty good cook, though. Being Catholic in the pre-Vatican II days, they ate LOTS of fresh fried giraffe, caught by my grandfather (who was a great giraffeerman). She still wouldn't know what to do with arugula, though.

"Anything that isn't iceberg lettuce is weeds and shouldn't be eaten by people." - lots of people's grandmas
Logged

lprkn

  • VIP
  • Onstad's Left Shoe
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 244
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1907
  • Hella yellin' about the sex
    • View Profile
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2011, 05:48:59 pm »

A good giraffeerman is hard to find these days
Logged

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 05:53:42 pm »

Give a man a giraffe and he'll eat for a day.  Teach a man to giraffe and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 06:07:42 pm »

The iceberg lettuce comment indicates that I am showing my age - I should be probably saying great-grandmas.

JL, your grandma might not have ever seen a mango, but she'd recognize it as a fruit. She'd also recognize that the recipes in Bon Appetit are put together out of edible substances. What she wouldn't recognize is all the stuff made of multisyllabic ingredients, packaged to last on a shelf for months and months. Even stuff sold in health food stores. Have you ever read the label of a protein shake powder? Mysterious stuff.

And I feel quite sure you'd still be healthier on the food you describe than on a diet of McDonald's.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 06:10:57 pm »


JL, your grandma might not have ever seen a mango, but she'd recognize it as a fruit. She'd also recognize that the recipes in Bon Appetit are put together out of edible substances.


I think you're overestimating my grandmother. This is a woman who used to buy plastic tubs of chicken livers, fry them in leftover bacon grease, and eat them on toast.

She also at a lot more hot dogs than I would feel comfortable feeding my family, after she got older and my grandfather had passed. So I don't think that particular grandmother is a very good example of how to eat fresh foods.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 06:39:32 pm »

I think you're overestimating my grandmother. This is a woman who used to buy plastic tubs of chicken livers, fry them in leftover bacon grease, and eat them on toast.

Ooo, I wouldn't eat it every day, but that sounds delicious.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: Immune System Reset
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2011, 06:42:22 pm »

I find the idea repulsive, but even if it weren't, can we at least agree that this is not a model of healthy eating that should be followed by relatively sedentary people in the 21st century?
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up