Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

@achewood There are only five Wodehouse books on my special Wodehouse shelf?! As Jeeves himself might ask, "Where in the fuck are the rest of them."

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: the Butcher  (Read 8629 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
the Butcher
« on: March 18, 2011, 05:16:05 pm »

Confession time:

As a person who really enjoys quality product, I'm embarassed to admit I buy my meat, poultry, giraffe and sausage in neat little packages at the grocery store.  I'm kind of intimidated by the butcher.  I have no concept of weight when it comes to meat purchase.  I feel oddly on the spot when faced with figuring out how much of each meat I want.  I think it's because I started my adult life as a vegetarian and came to meat later.  Now I'm a certified meat eater, but at the bucher I freeze up and end up wussing out and just getting a couple steaks or a sausage.  It's a thing I want to get over though.

Anyone here big on going the butcher?  Suggestions or tips?
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:23:24 pm »

We just got our first real butcher shop (other than the rinky-dink counter at the grocery store) and I am trying to get up the nerve to go myself. So no, Smells, you're not alone in this. And I was never a vegetarian.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 06:15:08 pm »

We don't have a butcher, but the Whole Foods has both a butcher counter and wrapped-up meat and we buy both. If you have an actual real honest to goodness butcher, they should be happy to answer any questions you have about what cut to use for what kind of recipe and how much you need to buy.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 06:26:11 pm »

If you have an actual real honest to goodness butcher, they should be happy to answer any questions you have about what cut to use for what kind of recipe and how much you need to buy.

This.  That's what they're there for, isn't it?
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:34:44 pm »

I have several honest to goodness butchers.  I can't explain my fear.  Me + being on the spot + cuts of meat = intimidation.  JL gets it.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 06:52:48 pm »

just take a number, and when it's your turn, say "help me, i'm confused." and they will.
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

theinevitable

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 486
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12139
    • View Profile
    • tweet tweet fun fun
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 07:03:02 pm »

at the store where I work, a guy I really like works at the meat counter. He tells me when there is a good sale, and suggests how I should cook it.
I like that so much. I am a huge fan of this. Also, customers love him.

Unfortunately, he made one of my other favorite co-workers cry because he laughed in her face when she told/asked him to help with something it is his job to do. He is not getting in trouble for this at all.

when buying meat, I usually figure half a pound of meat per person. Maybe that is excessive? There are usually leftovers. So maybe more like 1/3 of a pound.
Logged
Social pressures exist
And if you think about them all of the time
You're gonna find that your head's been kicked in
You're gonna do it all for the grind

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 07:11:16 pm »

I plan 1/2 pound for just me and Pedro if it's boneless, but we are trying to cut back on our meat portions. If I'm having guests, I plan 1/3 lb per person and that's usually plenty.

If it's bone-in, I have no idea.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

AugustWest

  • Over Easy
  • Philosopher King
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 774
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 10549
  • Bulbous, also tapered.
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 07:20:19 pm »

Bone bone bone bone bone
Logged
Infinitely vast, infinitely detailed.

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 07:31:58 pm »

just take a number, and when it's your turn, say "help me, i'm confused." and they will.

Ah, I just realized what it is:  I hate looking helpless, uneducated or dumb. 

I think I need to learn about meat so I wont feel like a tools.  For example, I have no idea what a quality cut of meat for a roast looks like vs a crap cut.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Choop

  • Mod Squad
  • LAZARUS, Tasseled Loafer of the Powerful
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1010
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 4260
  • www dot at rick and morty dot com www
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 07:51:34 pm »

you ain't gonna be the first customer that butcher's seen with no clue what to do or say or ask. you ain't gonna be the last. the difference is you can form a relationship with this butcher and suddenly choice cuts get set aside because "oh hey i thought you might like this"

people love to teach, they just need students. go when it ain't so busy and get yourself a teacher. hint: look behind the butcher counter



now is the time to MAN UP
Logged
Nobody exists on purpose; nobody belongs anywhere; everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 08:41:02 pm »

Ah, I just realized what it is:  I hate looking helpless, uneducated or dumb. 

About a piece of meat? Relax. It is no big deal to have to ask for help about a piece of meat. It is their job to serve you. It is their job to answer your questions so you have a good experience and are a happy customer who comes back for more meat.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

jay-ell

  • Den Mother
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 407
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 7869
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 08:43:08 pm »

Ah, I just realized what it is:  I hate looking helpless, uneducated or dumb. 

I think I need to learn about meat so I wont feel like a tools.  For example, I have no idea what a quality cut of meat for a roast looks like vs a crap cut.

I have this problem, too. It took a lot of balls for me to walk into a garden center yesterday, go up to a random employee, and say, "I know less than nothing about plants, but I want to learn enough to grow a few vegetables with my kids. Do you have time to show me some easy-to-grow plants and give me detailed care instructions for them?"

Going when it's not busy is essential. The lady I talked to spent half an hour with me talking about lettuce because I was the only customer on the lot. She said, "Do you have any questions?" and I said, "I don't know enough to have questions yet. I'll probably be back next week with a list, though." She laughed.
Logged
"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking. But it's usually subtext." -- Martin Freeman as John Watson

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 10:22:46 pm »

Maybe I should go up to the counter and say "I know nothing about meat.  What's good today (and not pork)?" 

I have a strong aversion to pork, except for ham and bacon, but those are sort of like pork's attractive cousins to me.
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Moderator
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile
Re: the Butcher
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 10:25:35 pm »

I have this problem, too. It took a lot of balls for me to walk into a garden center yesterday, go up to a random employee, and say, "I know less than nothing about plants, but I want to learn enough to grow a few vegetables with my kids. Do you have time to show me some easy-to-grow plants and give me detailed care instructions for them?"

Going when it's not busy is essential. The lady I talked to spent half an hour with me talking about lettuce because I was the only customer on the lot. She said, "Do you have any questions?" and I said, "I don't know enough to have questions yet. I'll probably be back next week with a list, though." She laughed.

That lady probably had a great time, too. Like Choop says, people love to teach. And people who work in a specialized shop like a garden store or butcher probably have a lot of knowledge they like to share. I am not a sociable or chatty person, but if someone comes in to the store where I work and asks a question about their pets, I am happy to talk to them for as long as they will stand still for it.

And do they sometimes have idiotic questions that we laugh about later? Oh yeah. But are you really going to let yourself be bothered by the possibility of a clerk in some store laughing at you? Then you have to grow up and get over that, right?
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up