Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

"Artists need to make money to eat and to continue to make art. Artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. Artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. Please welcome them. Please help them. Please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money.” -Amanda Palmer

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: HEY CHRIS WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?! WHERE ARE YOU? Finally answe  (Read 33928 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

Whereas I am really worried that if I am ever successful, I'm going to become one of those crazy people who really needs someone to sit in the back of my chariot and remind me that I am not a god as I return to Rome from a winning military campaign.

Except now they don't have those anymore. They have, like, personal assistants and publicists and stuff who do the opposite thing.

"You are a god, this is all you, this was all you, you are amazing, you did it all and you can do no wrong and if you think you're doing it wrong you shouldn't do it at all and you don't owe anyone anything because you are an island of magic and grace unto yourself, the only thing you owe anyone is the salaries of your hangers-on such as myself."

I'm not afraid of being inundated with reality by success but I desperately fear being isolated from reality by success.

To be so through the looking glass that I would post an angry letter to the internet explaining how awful it is to be able to make a living creatively and that everyone who helped me get there should fuck off with their expectations because it was all me me me me.

That's what scares the shit out of me.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

You know, LFM, most people who are "successful" as writers are nowhere near THAT successful. So, I don't want to be mean here, but seriously, if that's one of your rationalizations for not finishing stuff, it's not a very good one.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

I have nothing else to add to this discussion except to repeat that now I am really worried that someday I might have fans.

I don't have anything else to add to this discussion either except to point out that you already have fans so watch out!
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

With Paul on this one.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

wombat

  • English-Speaking Pizza
  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 644
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12493
  • Yeah man, these are pugs, not some fuck*ng lolcat.
    • View Profile

That is SCARY.
Logged
What is this, the fuckin' Algonquin Round Table or some shit?  - Nabu

If you're going to change your life then you have to change it every day, not just the days the world isn't taking a shit on you. -Doc

littlefallsmets

  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 363
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 6294
  • the perfect is the enemy of the good
    • View Profile
    • this is where I jot down random ideas

My major rationalization for not finishing/submitting things is fear of being told they are bad and therefore I am bad, don't you worry.

The fear of the slanted vision of that comes with success is there but it is quite low on the list, an artifact of trying to make it in Los Angeles TV/Film for a few years.

If I suck at writing, I have almost no positive identity to fall back on, you know?

Without being good at writing, I fear that I am nothing more than a loose affiliation of affectations, childhood nostalgias, places I went to and failed, family associations and friendships toward which I am violently ambivalent, ideologies I learned from my father's old pulp science fiction novels, quotes from television shows, unhealed youthful traumas, arbitrary preferences, overblown grudges and embarassing bursts of naive enthusiasm held together by a flimsy network of hair, fat and delusions.

So I hold onto this tiny thing that I think is my own, firmly but gently in my closed hand for myself along.

Scared of crushing it in my fist but ten times more terrified that if someone looks in there, they'll tell me there's nothing there for protecting at all.
Logged
I do the Tweets @Cecconi140

side_show

  • Sweet Fancy Moses
  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 501
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Female
  • Posts: 6487
    • View Profile

But this sort of thing wouldn't happen to you because you'd be kind and considerate to your fans.

I was always kind to my audiences.  That doesn't mean things weren't extremely fucked up when it came to the great divide between creation and interpretation.  

I had a grad student in tears at one point because she had based her thesis on a interpretation of my play that she clearly came to understand as false.  It's not my fault that she had this thesis, and it's not my fault that my play didn't turn out to mean the things she wanted it to mean.  It's not my fault that she flew from her country of origin to Canada to find this out, or that she spent months researching and consulting with her adviser only to have to figure out a way to overhaul everything at the 11th hour.  I still felt bad because she had devoted so much energy and thought to a theory that was wrong.  She said she had came to Canada to study my play because it was her favourite, but she said it in such a dejected way, because clearly the play she thought was her favorite turned out to not be about what she thought it was about.  

I still feel torn about this.  I sincerely believe people should be free to interpret all art however it resonates with them, but if you sit down with me, I will tell you my version of the truth.  
Logged
Abuse of power comes as no surprise.

Nabubrush

  • Nightlife Mingus
  • VIP
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 448
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 8782
  • The cat wonders if the camera is a foodstuff.
    • View Profile
    • Intonarumoron

I was always kind to my audiences.  That doesn't mean things weren't extremely fucked up when it came to the great divide between creation and interpretation.  

I had a grad student in tears at one point because she had based her thesis on a interpretation of my play that she clearly came to understand as false.  It's not my fault that she had this thesis, and it's not my fault that my play didn't turn out to mean the things she wanted it to mean.  It's not my fault that she flew from her country of origin to Canada to find this out, or that she spent months researching and consulting with her adviser only to have to figure out a way to overhaul everything at the 11th hour.  I still felt bad because she had devoted so much energy and thought to a theory that was wrong.  She said she had came to Canada to study my play because it was her favourite, but she said it in such a dejected way, because clearly the play she thought was her favorite turned out to not be about what she thought it was about.  

I still feel torn about this.  I sincerely believe people should be free to interpret all art however it resonates with them, but if you sit down with me, I will tell you my version of the truth.  

In college we just did this with dead people, so we were always right.
Logged
Never feel that you're out of the loop, because the loop is you. - Platon

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

I still feel torn about this.  I sincerely believe people should be free to interpret all art however it resonates with them, but if you sit down with me, I will tell you my version of the truth.  

I've noticed Jenny Owen Youngs goes the opposite way on this. She's said she doesn't like to print the lyrics to her songs because she doesn't want to ruin them for somebody who's been mishearing a word or two all this time.
Logged

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

I still feel torn about this.  I sincerely believe people should be free to interpret all art however it resonates with them, but if you sit down with me, I will tell you my version of the truth.

I hate it so much when I get that 'I want to leave the interpretation up to the viewer' nonsense from an artist.    I'm a firm believer that the viewer can project whatever they want onto a piece of art, but if I ask directly and you don't have an answer i am going to assume you just didn't put a whole lot of thought into it.

I'll never forget the day I spent a couple of hours "interpreting" this work while I watched her paint.  She was kind enough to tell me that I was full of shit.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

robot_god

  • roast beef (the middle cat)
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 74
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1195
  • Oh my gosh, dude.
    • View Profile
    • ALP Myspace Site

Onstad is a piece-a SHIT.

I would drop kick him off a god damn cliff in fuck*ng Newport.
Logged
ACHIEVE

pmcd9

  • Mod Squad
  • Dude since Knucklehead times
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 608
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 12778
  • The Kid is up to no good
    • View Profile

I would drop kick him off a god damn cliff in fuck*ng Newport.

You would probably kick Jesus.
Logged
I hope I never have to refer to a scone in spoken conversation.

Doc

  • Growing Cucumbers of Impressive Dimensions
  • Writer's Workshoppers
  • Philippe is standing on it.
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 1408
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 5017
  • an emergency backup pug
    • View Profile

I have nothing to add but: A sparrow birthing a clenched human fist.

Focus, people!
Logged
Inev: 'A lot of things are ridiculous if you think about them long enough, you know?'

Arachno-capitalist

  • Jacobean Fuckbot
  • Mom-Mom's Weepin' Eye
  • *
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 319
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 3967
  • Ostriches and I have a history. So I eat them.
    • View Profile

ITT: LFM admits it is the fear of crippling fame that prevents him from publishing. Also, I am not a professional baseball player because I don't want to be responsible for shattering the records of my heros. It wouldn't feel right.
Logged
Guy at my watering hole: "Acap, why do you keep coming to Jack's?They just serve shitty burgers and happen to have beers on tap."
Acap: I was thirsty one day and I sat down. A year later, Jack's was built around me and thirst is a recurring thing.

CortJstr

  • Mod Squad
  • Philippe is standing on it
  • Tiny cans of Dr Pepper: 338
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 9819
  • Which gives us AN EXCUSE TO DRINK!
    • View Profile

You would probably kick Jesus.

You haven't heard my ideas!
Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up