Well, you know, too bad you don't think it's fair, because that's how it is. And if we want to have art in the world, we just have to put up with it.
This is actually completely untrue. A big part of the reason I began walking away from work as a professional artist came from my trip to Indonesia. In Bali especially, which is an island intensely rich in the arts, there is the philosophy that making art is a basic function of being human, along with eating, breathing, fuck*ng, etc. Much like you wouldn't expect to be paid to eat or breathe, the concept of art as a thing you get paid for, rather than a necessary human need is something that doesn't connect there. I agree with this - humans
need to express themselves creatively and to share in creative expression of others, and I've been turned off to the idea of art as a commodity since then. Once I saw how engaged Balinese people are in the arts - far more so than any North American environment I'd ever been in - it convinced me that I had things framed wrong in my mind. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy when I get a little cash for my art, but it's not why I do it. I do it because it's a need and because it's pleasurable. That shift has made my life a lot easier to navigate, and has actually led me to a better financial position, because making art as a job is basically not that lucrative except for for a very small minority.
As for ‘jacking the strip, I’m all for it. I would love to do it. Don’t have the tech skills to move forward without assistance, but I would love to. I wasn't joking.